Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
They are remanufactured. under licence and approval from Stellantis. They are sold as new vehicles. The process on the 1500 DS saw the steering rack flipped so the bulky section of it is directly under the oil filter. Makes it near impossible to get a bigger filter in there.

I remember reading that now and couldn't remember what it was, but knew there was something that made it impossible to install the larger oil filter ...

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I'm thinking will work, is I buy the Trans-dapt kit like Wild One suggested. Get a local hydraulic hose mob to crimp me some 90deg or maybe 45deg swivel ends onto 5/8" hose, and screw some 5/8" M-M fittings into the Trans-dapt engine end piece for the swivel bends to bolt to.
Then make up a bracket for the Trans-dapt dual filter housing, with straight 5/8" hose nipples on it. Cut the hoses to length to go onto the nipples and put hose clamps on them.

Order of build should be:
Make up an adapter bracket for the filter housing whilst the car is how it is now, fabricate it, paint it and bolt the housing in place with the nipples on it.
Remove the oil filter.
Clean up all the oil.
Screw the engine end in place with adapters attached.
Screw hoses with crimped swivel ends onto adapters.
Cut hoses to go onto nipples and hose clamp.

I could make it neater and use proper hose ends too at the filter housing end.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What I'm thinking will work, is I buy the Trans-dapt kit like Wild One suggested. Get a local hydraulic hose mob to crimp me some 90deg or maybe 45deg swivel ends onto 5/8" hose, and screw some 5/8" M-M fittings into the Trans-dapt engine end piece for the swivel bends to bolt to.
Then make up a bracket for the Trans-dapt dual filter housing, with straight 5/8" hose nipples on it. Cut the hoses to length to go onto the nipples and put hose clamps on them.

Order of build should be:
Make up an adapter bracket for the filter housing whilst the car is how it is now, fabricate it, paint it and bolt the housing in place with the nipples on it.
Remove the oil filter.
Clean up all the oil.
Screw the engine end in place with adapters attached.
Screw hoses with crimped swivel ends onto adapters.
Cut hoses to go onto nipples and hose clamp.

I could make it neater and use proper hose ends too at the filter housing end.
I just drilled and tapped the frame to mount the remote adapter,but a plate would be a good idea to.
Just remember when you hook up the hoses,"Out" from the engine adapter goes to "In" on the filter adapter,and "Out" from the filter adapter goes to "In" on the engine adapter.If you hook them up backasswards you'll have no oil pressure

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I make the plate simple, I could always CAD it up and load the file up here for others to copy. Being RHD won't affect how it works and fits.
I like your plate idea. If you make up a plate to mount the filters to,try and keep the bottom of the filters above the tow hook mount,just gives you a little more security if you go off roading .This is a poor picture angle,but my filters sit about a 1/2" above the tow hook mount.

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 14

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know! lol

At what point do we conclude the Hemi is such an oil-starved drama queen (except for those that put in the high flow oil pump(s)) that we just say screw the filtration and put in an open can?

I mean, seriously.
Let's reinvent rocks! ;)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back to oily toilet paper?
Naw... we use Charmin! :)

I do remember the 1950's cars I worked on in my early career with those add-on canisters for oil filtration which took a roll of toilet paper. I was then and am still confused as to how on Earth, anyone came up with THAT idea!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The Charmin difference, you will never buy conventional tp again once you try the Charmin. 3 pieces at a time versus 6 with generic, pays for itself as well, and doesn't leave cotton butt like one non named brand does.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I do remember the 1950's cars I worked on in my early career with those add-on canisters for oil filtration which took a roll of toilet paper. I was then and am still confused as to how on Earth, anyone came up with THAT idea!
McCarthy chasing away the ref tide lmao

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Charmin difference, you will never buy conventional tp again once you try the Charmin. 3 pieces at a time versus 6 with generic, pays for itself as well, and doesn't leave cotton butt like one non named brand does.
Wasn’t it Mr Whipple used to do all the squeezing in dem old commercials

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Those TP filters were bypass filters, simular to those on the big trucks. There used to be big canisters on big trucks that bled off a small amount of oil to finely filter.

Luberfiner was a major name in those days. The TP filters, in conjunction to the main oil filter, actually did work well.

I still have a complete new big truck spin on bypass filter kit that filters at 2 microns.

This is what those big truck cartridge filters look like.

1715708333468.png

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm still fearful of Purolator media tearing.

I'm thinking Fram Endurance looks really good for a 5k OCI filter. I don't think capacity is much of a concern at this nominal OCI. It's better than Fram Ultra and Royal Purple in filtering efficiency and hot oil flow rate.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I'm thinking Fram Endurance looks really good for a 5k OCI filter. I don't think capacity is much of a concern at this nominal OCI. It's better than Fram Ultra and Royal Purple in filtering efficiency and hot oil flow rate.

I wonder if the tearing issue is less of a problem when used in short intervals as well? Seems like either way you slice it, none of these filters are good to run past 5k to 8k even if they're rated to 20k.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do tell my wife that we can afford to wipe in style... But One must wonder what kind of fruit a grocer (Mr. Whipple) squeezes the toilet paper whilst admonishing the patrons NOT to! ;)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

One thing entrenched in my earliest training under the Rolls Royce Master back in the very early 70.s was that one pre-oils the filter with clean, new oil, or prefill the filter where possible, specifically to prevent media tearing upon initial start up due to spewing high pressure spikes in the oil at first. (Akin to when you turn on the hot water in your home after replacing the water heater or other plumbing repair).

I've done that now for 40+ years. Is it necessary? I don't really know. It's sort of like the urban story of why multiple generations of women in one family cut off the ends of a roast before sticking said roast in the baking dish...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
One thing entrenched in my earliest training under the Rolls Royce Master back in the very early 70.s was that one pre-oils the filter with clean, new oil, or prefill the filter where possible, specifically to prevent media tearing upon initial start up due to spewing high pressure spikes in the oil at first. (Akin to when you turn on the hot water in your home after replacing the water heater or other plumbing repair).

I've done that now for 40+ years. Is it necessary? I don't really know. It's sort of like the urban story of why multiple generations of women in one family cut off the ends of a roast before sticking said roast in the baking dish...

Same, yet why was there such an outcry over Purolator being the only brand tearing media? Surely Purolator users aren't the only filter users that don't pre-lube their filters.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same, yet why was there such an outcry over Purolator being the only brand tearing media? Surely Purolator users aren't the only filter users that don't pre-lube their filters.
Perhaps Purolator made a shoddy product. When I was young, had hair, and wasn't fat, I used the orange oil filters that have received bad press these past few years. When torn apart, they do appear to be shoddy, but I am not aware of mass hysteria over failed engines as a result. Mind you, I do not use that brand anymore.