Votes: 402 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,000 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My wife drives about 1500 miles/year since retired.
Every year when the state requires both a safety and emissions
inspection I also have the oil/filter changed and tires rotated,
all by the same shop, all on the same day.

Her dealer uses either Amsoil or Total, both are full synthetic,
and a year is a year. It's a 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse, I4 2.4L.
Still looks and runs like new, just under 37,000 miles on the clock.

We want to keep our vehicles and are doing all we can.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've also added 1/2 quart more of oil on the last two oci and also, no proble
My wife drives about 1500 miles/year since retired.
Every year when the state requires both a safety and emissions
inspection I also have the oil/filter changed and tires rotated,
all by the same shop, all on the same day.

Her dealer uses either Amsoil or Total, both are full synthetic,
and a year is a year. It's a 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse, I4 2.4L.
Still looks and runs like new, just under 37,000 miles on the clock.

We want to keep our vehicles and are doing all we can.
THIS ^^^^ !!!!

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this normal price redline is 83 bucks for 6, valvoline 6 pack synthetic is on sale at 51 dollars. So I see some crazy prices on redline, it seams to be a vendor thing. Now nick is at 104 bucks for at least 7 quarts, not sure why the number of qts arent listed. He is pretty close to amazons 14 bucks per qt. It is the crazy prices that are throwing us off, before the latest inflation redline was 12-12.95 all day long, prices are only up a buck or two from that. That valvoline list price is 65 bucks. Mobil 1 is 43 bucks a 6 pack only at costco, it is 56 for a 6 pack amazon. Pup 0w40 7qrt 62. Pup 5 qrts are 32 amazon pricing, that is up from 26 posted a bunch of time last year.

I am looking at all these options and current pricing, redline isn't that much out of line. I honetly have not been pricing oils in general since the inflation, prices are up everywhere.

I have to say kirkland is looking better and better, despite a 5 dollar increase you still get two 5 qrt jugs for 39.99.

I dunno how I missed Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30’s UOA’s (300ppm moly). All of the ones I saw stayed in grade also for shear.

On sale on Amazon 15qts $67.99
Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30

It’s what’s going in my truck this time.
Still have some rp 20/820’s but once those are gone, might be going to Purolator boss.
@Burla what am I missing?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dunno how I missed Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30’s UOA’s (300ppm moly). All of the ones I saw stayed in grade also for shear.

On sale on Amazon 15qts $67.99
Valvoline Extended Protection 5w30

It’s what’s going in my truck this time.
Still have some rp 20/820’s but once those are gone, might be going to Purolator boss.
@Burla what am I missing?
That was one test, and page 93 or whatever it is now is another test that had two different results puro b versus 20-820 or rather rp media. Puro boss looks like a good choice especially with stock issues of RP. New info is all welcome, doesn't mean old info isn't relevant. Need to have some puro boss users cut open some filters and see how the media holds up.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was one test, and page 93 or whatever it is now is another test that had two different results puro b versus 20-820 or rather rp media. Puro boss looks like a good choice especially with stock issues of RP. New info is all welcome, doesn't mean old info isn't relevant. Need to have some puro boss users cut open some filters and see how the media holds up.
I meant Valvoline Extended protection oil.
I agree on the purolator filter… IF the 820’s are gone obviously we’ll have to move on.

I’m just surprised that Val Ext. Pro oil slipped my radar.

It’s going to be so much simpler to be able to just keep 1 brand of oil now since my gf’s truck takes 5w30 but sure wasn’t getting redline.

Last edited:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can you say a new oil has a tick on initial start-up after oil change when it's in the pan & hopefully filter?
Am I missing something here?
Or are you priming before starting?
Maybe same oil prior to last change.
I would not say it, if I had not heard it myself. My mechanic wasn't worried about it though. He said it was normal and to be expected.
I used Mobil 1 FS 0w40, 3 times and all 3 times, it ticked for 2 seconds on initial startup.

I'd be using Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 over LM especially in your climate. Dave from HPL has called that oil "too good for the money" or something to that effect, so in other words an excellent competitor is speaking pretty highly of it which is a great sign.

To prevent the truck from rattling after changing your oil, just use the "flood mode"; put the pedal to the floor and hang onto it, tap the brake and turn the engine on while hanging onto the gas; the truck will just spin over but not fire up as it doesn't give it gas in this mode. Wait for about 10 seconds, then turn your engine off to stop the cranking.

Then just start your truck as normal.

Ever since that feature was posted here I've used it every oil change and never had any bad rattles after an oil change regardless of oil or filter, including the one time I used mobil 1 0w-40.
This is interesting. Probably should be the mandatory initial start-up procedure after every oil change.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would not say it, if I had not heard it myself. My mechanic wasn't worried about it though. He said it was normal and to be expected.
I used Mobil 1 FS 0w40, 3 times and all 3 times, it ticked for 2 seconds on initial startup.

This is interesting. Probably should be the mandatory initial start-up procedure after every oil change.
Iv never once had this happen at an lil change. I do wonder if it makes a difference if you do your oil change shortly after the truck has been driven.

I always try to.

If the truck has been sitting all night, I’ll just start it and let it run for a few minutes before changing. Always have

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Iv never once had this happen at an lil change. I do wonder if it makes a difference if you do your oil change shortly after the truck has been driven.

I always try to.

If the truck has been sitting all night, I’ll just start it and let it run for a few minutes before changing. Always have
Well, each time I have done the oil change, I drive it to the mechanic's shop, he changes the oil while I wait and then I drive back.
All 3 times with the Mobil, it ticked. Whereas with Liquimoly Molygen and Redline, it didn't. I wonder if it was the 0w40 because that was the only 0w40 I've tried. The others were all 5w30.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, each time I have done the oil change, I drive it to the mechanic's shop, he changes the oil while I wait and then I drive back.
All 3 times with the Mobil, it ticked. Whereas with Liquimoly Molygen and Redline, it didn't. I wonder if it was the 0w40 because that was the only 0w40 I've tried. The others were all 5w30.
I've never had the tick before after an oil change using PUP 0w-40 or Redline 5w-30. This last change I used HPL 5w-30 and it ticked loudly at startup for maybe 5-6 seconds. After that, it was all quiet and hasn't ticked since.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ticking louding on startup after an oil change shouldn't have anything to do with the oil you just put in the pan. Every bit of that oil is literally sitting in the pan so how it can be the fault of that oil? It hasn't done anything yet and it's going to take a few seconds to build up oil pressure again using the new oil.

I'd sooner see a possible correlation to the oil you just pulled out, possibly not enough anti wear like moly plating the surfaces.

But even then I'd think its just due to the hemi design, I can make my engine chatter like that for a few seconds on a second cold start with every oil and weight and filter I've experimented with, and that's been a few.

I'd never stop using an oil just because I heard my engine chatter after an oil change. There is so much more that goes into an oil that even if it were 100% the fault of the new oil I'd completely ignore that factor given the quality of the oil to keep wear down (mobil 1 0w-40 is a great oil!)

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PUP 5w20, RP 20-820 and Lubetech biogaurd. Tick at initial start after change, to be expected as all oil is in the pan. No tick at subsequent starts

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have once in a while had start up tick after a redline change for the one time. I was too lazy to fill the oil filter before putting it up. I am stubborn, I still don't do it, but at least I admit I should do it.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ticking louding on startup after an oil change shouldn't have anything to do with the oil you just put in the pan. Every bit of that oil is literally sitting in the pan so how it can be the fault of that oil? It hasn't done anything yet and it's going to take a few seconds to build up oil pressure again using the new oil.

I'd sooner see a possible correlation to the oil you just pulled out, possibly not enough anti wear like moly plating the surfaces.

But even then I'd think its just due to the hemi design, I can make my engine chatter like that for a few seconds on a second cold start with every oil and weight and filter I've experimented with, and that's been a few.

I'd never stop using an oil just because I heard my engine chatter after an oil change. There is so much more that goes into an oil that even if it were 100% the fault of the new oil I'd completely ignore that factor given the quality of the oil to keep wear down (mobil 1 0w-40 is a great oil!)
Agreed........just an observation as it was the first time it happened in the ten oil changes I've done. The previous oil was the Redline 5w-30. The truck is quiet and running smooth so I have no worries.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it happened the first time I used Mobil 1 FS 0W40, then I'd would agree. But this happened on all 3 times that I used it. Its only for 2 -3 seconds on the initial start. Completely smooth and silent the rest of the time. All the times, the oil change procedure was the same - filled the new filter with some of the new oil and then put it in.I've got nothing against Mobil. If I have to, I would use it. I just didn't like that ticking even if it was just for a couple of seconds. As someone who faced the dreaded tick, I'm just not ready to hear my engine ticking again, at any point. Even if its nothing to be concerned about.

The ticking never occured during the initial start on an oil change with Liquimoly Molygen, Redline and even the Castrol Magnatec. All of those were 5w30. Hence I thought it had something to do with the 0W. Now based on @Motoman501's comment, maybe its got something to do with the oil add pack.

I'm going to use that alternative initial start procedure after an oil change to check and see if that helps. Maybe get some Mobil 1 and try it that way. If it works, that will be procedure I use from now on.