taking my interior out of the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I have a week off starting tuesday and I plan to take out the seats,centre console carpet and headliner and whatever I have to take out to get those parts out to lay dynamat on the floor, behind the rear seat, a-pillars,c-pillars and roof. Anybody with experience taking these parts out that have tips or tricks such as tricky fastening points or clips that pull out in an unexpected way. Issues with rear seat heating vents etc. would be appreciated. 2017 1500 limited crew cab is the truck I'm working on, but I suspect they're all similar to disassemble.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please take lots of pictures and share them with us. I'm really wanting to do this.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The b-pillars need some serious pull to snag them out, pull from the bottom to get them loose, then every 6' up till you get it free. Front seats if they are power make sure to fold them forward, they are a pain if they are leaned back they become a bear to get out. 4 bolts and 2-3 wiring harnesses each.

Rear seats are 4 bolts per side unless you have the bench then its 4 bolts period. You need to pull the center seat belt bolt but not the whole assembly. Once you pull all the bolts, you lift the rear about 2 inches and it will come off and fold up for easier removal. The rear seats are like wrestling a naked greased up sedated pig as all the weight is odd in them.

Center console takes a bit more patience. You have to remove a few layers of the console and the dash bezel to get to all the screws that hold it to the floorboard. Its not hard but take your time to find them all. If you think you have them all and there is resistance when you lift, you dont have them all.

Reactions: BWL
OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The b-pillars need some serious pull to snag them out, pull from the bottom to get them loose, then every 6' up till you get it free. Front seats if they are power make sure to fold them forward, they are a pain if they are leaned back they become a bear to get out. 4 bolts and 2-3 wiring harnesses each.

Rear seats are 4 bolts per side unless you have the bench then its 4 bolts period. You need to pull the center seat belt bolt but not the whole assembly. Once you pull all the bolts, you lift the rear about 2 inches and it will come off and fold up for easier removal. The rear seats are like wrestling a naked greased up sedated pig as all the weight is odd in them.

Center console takes a bit more patience. You have to remove a few layers of the console and the dash bezel to get to all the screws that hold it to the floorboard. Its not hard but take your time to find them all. If you think you have them all and there is resistance when you lift, you dont have them all.
Thanks! This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll have to keep a few extra cold ones in the fridge to get helping hands with the seats so I don't scratch anything struggling with them and I probably wouldn't have thought to tilt the seat forward before I unplugged it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im all of a 160 pounds wet, Im sure you wont have an issue getting seats out. They are odd to get out but I have had all mine out on about 10 occasions and never touched the body. The only odd one is the passenger side rear. That stupid thing is just a pain the butt to get out with 1 person. Its like dead lifting a drunk person by their legs only.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My fear now is getting the urge to change out the audio system. I used to do custom audio systems on all my vehicles, but since new vehicle head units started integrating so much stuff into them and unsatisfactory results with an audio control dsp off a factory head unit in my 06, which I eventually changed to a pioneer double din nav unit i've been hesitant.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have an amplified system you need the Pac-4 if you dont do that dont waste your time, pair that with a DSP and your good to go. Doesnt stop you from laying the ground work but it will stop you from having a good audio system.

Im lucky, the non amplifed so all i needed was a LOC and hace full signal to all 4 channels.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
You don’t need to pull out the headliner completely to do the roof. The link to my DIY that Marsh references above walks you through this. It helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to put it back up.

On the back wall, don’t Dynamat over the louvered slots. Those are vents. Your truck needs them to breathe.

It helps to have a breaker bar or impact gun and sockets on the seat bolts, to remove them the first time.

If you are so inclined, this would be a perfect time to run new speaker wire if you think in the future you may do an audio build. I put together a DIY on running new speaker wire to doors without any cutting.

When you reassemble, consider doing the rear seat mod, if you haven’t already.

Good luck! Make sure you have plenty of beer, sharp razor knives, good tunes, and patience!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah the rear bolts are so much fun with an impact, without access they are like a fussy infant. The ones against the wall are so much fun if you haven't done the rear seat mod yet. Your back will not be your friend after those.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Also consider lining your door way with a blanket, or at least take care when pulling the seats out. I scuffed up the back pretty well when extracting the bench. I since replaced it. $$$

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don’t need to pull out the headliner completely to do the roof. The link to my DIY that Marsh references above walks you through this. It helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to put it back up.

On the back wall, don’t Dynamat over the louvered slots. Those are vents. Your truck needs them to breathe.

It helps to have a breaker bar or impact gun and sockets on the seat bolts, to remove them the first time.

If you are so inclined, this would be a perfect time to run new speaker wire if you think in the future you may do an audio build. I put together a DIY on running new speaker wire to doors without any cutting.

When you reassemble, consider doing the rear seat mod, if you haven’t already.

Good luck! Make sure you have plenty of beer, sharp razor knives, good tunes, and patience!
I've actually gone through your thread and gave the headliner a good look today. Also went through another thread to figure out where all the screws are to remove the centre console. Have a few impacts, air ratchet and lots of extensions, flex sockets and ratchet wrenches etc so I should be able to get all the fasteners loose assuming I can find them all. Going to grab more olfa blades and a trim removal tool tomorrow when I go pick up more beer and some aluminum to make brackets for my morimoto fog light resistors. Looking forward to it now. Just hope the rest of my dynamat shows up soon.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also set up a carpeted area to put all the parts to avoid scratches and an old comforter to lay out when I pull stuff out to prevent scratches and scuffs on the way out. Did you have a power sunroof?

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have an amplified system you need the Pac-4 if you dont do that dont waste your time, pair that with a DSP and your good to go. Doesnt stop you from laying the ground work but it will stop you from having a good audio system.

Im lucky, the non amplifed so all i needed was a LOC and hace full signal to all 4 channels.
I'm not afraid of the pac4 and Dsp on my amplified system. More concerned I won't get the sound quality I want from the factory head unit. The guys that did my door soundproofing have a ram system with custom 3-10" jl audio 10s in it that I plan to check out and see if it's running the factory head unit and if so how it sounds. They'll probably supply me with the equipment if I like what I see and hear and make up my mind to do it. I'm thinking I may build a fibreglass enclosure for 2 shallow mount 10's if I can keep the load floor. I drive a lot and plan to make some simple braces to support the floor when folded out so I can put a mattress back there for when I need to pull over for a nap so the load floor has to stay.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Also set up a carpeted area to put all the parts to avoid scratches and an old comforter to lay out when I pull stuff out to prevent scratches and scuffs on the way out. Did you have a power sunroof?
No sir, no sunroof. Good luck!

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And the first 3 sheets are downIMG_20180323_171817_hdr.jpg

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm really looking forward to the pictures of this process .

Thank you

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And the rest of the floor is done and my truck is back together. Headliner and dash can wait till I get my new gear and I get more timeIMG_20180323_184629.jpgIMG_20180323_202837.jpgIMG_20180323_202844.jpg

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Really glad to see you went Dynapad. Are you doing dynaliner too?