transmission acting strange after weak battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yesterday went to start my truck and found that the battery was down to 12v and wouldnt start the truck..

did a load test and battery went from 12v down to about 7... jumped it and got started and ended up with a check engine light on...

went and picked up a new AGM autocraft platinum 850CCA battery from advance auto, swapped it out and of course the truck fired right up and this time with no check engine light.. NOW here is the kicker.. remote started it this am and when it started up the truck moved forward a little bit and YES it is column shift and in park... took it for a drive to go pick up handgun permits ( sucky NJ where you need a permit to sh*t) and while it is shifting fine it doesnt seem to coast as i roll out of the throttle like it used to.. feels like it is in a gear lower is the only way i can describe it..

at the end of my jaunt around town i hit the button on the column shift and set it to 6th ( 6 speed ) and all seemed to be well on that mode.... still no check engine light..

i do have a superchips tuner and im running the 87 octane economy tune but i dont think that should make any difference after the dead battery..

any ideas???

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That relearn mode is something new to me, i just got a 2016 and had to bring it to the dealer for my heated seat element. While speaking to the service advisor I told him it felt like I was rear ended when coming to a stop. He said he'd have the mechanic look into it. When I picked it up and he said the mechanic put it into re-learn mode. I thought he was blowing smoke up my ***** until i immediately felt the difference in shifting and no more rear end feeling when coming to a stop. So it is possible that your system did the same. The thing is a rolling computer that had all power disconnected and all systems have to relearn and become ready.
I'm sure all will be fine when the drive cycle is complete.

OP
OP
Ramsportrocks

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks guys, thats what i was leaning towards happening but just thought it was strange that the truck lurched
on remote start up

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after the dealer did the "re-learn" it was much better. No more kicking me in the ass. But now its back. Guess it re-learned what it knew already. Sometimes its startling how it gets you and I look right in the mirror expecting a car on top of me.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi @jr27236 and @Ramsportrocks

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing these concerns with your Ram. Please let me know if you are in need of additional support while your Ram is in service.

Darlene
Ram Cares

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi @jr27236 and @Ramsportrocks

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing these concerns with your Ram. Please let me know if you are in need of additional support while your Ram is in service.

Darlene
Ram Cares
Thanks, i dont think Im going to be taking it back to the dealer for it as it seems to be a wide spread issue beyond my own truck and there doesn't seem to be a real solution for it. So why waste my time when Ill be told its characteristic of the truck or something similar in context or they couldn't replicate the issue. Thanks for the offer of assistance though