Turn signals double flashing and solid on dash.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hey all. Looking at an issue involving my lights.

So I had an issue where the right headlight was dim, and I was also getting a hyper flash on the left, and somewhat faster flash on the right with the dimmed headlight. Running lights worked fine and turn signals worked in the off and running position. Every light light in the housing seemed to be dim when headlights were on, and the plug to the assembly was getting 2v less than the left side.

So after troubleshooting and finding no leads, I figured it was the ground since I’ve had issues with the g100 before anyways. So I cut the ground wire(s) about a few inches back from the headlight plug, and gave them their own ground to the chassis. This seemed to have fixed the headlight issue as it’s now outputting 13.3v

Now the issue. In every mode (off, running, low, high) the turn signals double flash, but the rear tailgates work fine. They also flash the proper speed. When you pull out the knob to running lights, both turn signals are solid illuminated on the dash, and same when you have headlights on. But unlike before, the turn signals/running lights aren’t on whatsoever. When you use the turn signal, both front lights flash, and again the rear lights are fine.

Replaced the flasher relay in the dash fuse panel, checked the light switch for any melting.

Did I do something wrong with giving those ground wires a different location (they both share the same new ground)? Kinda at a loss so any help is great.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you added the new ground wire did you cut or disconnect the existing factory ground wire? If you did, that factory ground may have supplied the ground to the other bulbs or contributed to their function. Also are you using halogen or LEDs?

OP
OP

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I basically cut a few inches back from the plug, so pretty much the wire is brand new.

I have halogen lights in (projectors)

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Did you swap them to led? You’ll need a different flasher relay. Typical relays won’t operate properly with low voltage leds. Atcar asked if you eliminated the ground wire to the harness? Try harness ground to frame with the lights ground to same location with harness ground.

OP
OP

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Did you swap them to led? You’ll need a different flasher relay. Typical relays won’t operate properly with low voltage leds. Atcar asked if you eliminated the ground wire to the harness? Try harness ground to frame with the lights ground to same location with harness ground.
They’re definitely halogen bulbs in there.

So just to clarify, i take the ground wire(s) coming through the headlights harness, and give them their own ground location to the frame? I’ll try that out

OP
OP

1998RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Got it, yeah I’ll definitely give it a go later on

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Check the voltage. You need 12v on. If not, it’s not getting power from the relay. Burnt wire? Broken? All that…..check close to relay to power to bulb wire and from turn signal to fuse, to relay etc.