Installed Alpine X108U in place of premium Alpine system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive struggled with the sound quality of my aftermarket system for 8 months after installation and came to the conclusion I needed to replace the head unit. There were some great choices out there, but didnt want to go with a much smaller screen that most of the double din radios had. In addition, I didnt want to lose the functionality of the steering wheel controls, and head unit controlled HVAC, etc. The functions I was most determined to find was one with a parametric eq, versatile crossover slopes and time alignment.

I chose the Alpine X108U which had all of these options (as well as a steep price tag). I also ordered the Idatalink Maestro, URAM module (keeps factory USB port location in tact), SAT1 module (uses factory siriusXM antenna), and ebrake override (can use the unit while in motion).

I originally ordered the KTX-RPU8 perfect fit kit from Alpine, but decided not to use it as doesnt work with my HVAC controls. Instead, I ordered the Scosche CR1297DDB bezel and widened the opening for the radio. I actually plan on getting another one of these and making a tighter opening, then finishing it up with some automotive molding.

Even before I began to tweak the settings, the sound was leaps and bounds better than I was ever able to get it using the stock radio with an Audio Control LC8I, LC2I and an EQS.

I was especially surprised at how many of the stock settings the new unit was able to utilize. Auto climate control, heated/cooled seats, even uses the stock volume and browse controls (thanks to the Idatalink).

In all, it was a very good experience. I only wish there was a kit made especially for our trucks with an 8" opening for this unit.

Attachments

• 20160719_181354.jpg
    20160719_181354.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 20160724_151520.jpg
    20160724_151520.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 318

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It definitely sucks that alpine doesn't make a perfect fit for 8.4 trucks yet. It must be the 9" units you modify the existing bezel to fit. But with a little work you'll never no the difference

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
a little rough on the edges but hey looks good and its a 'prototype' haha

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered a second Scosche bezel last night as well as a tool that looks like a soldering iron and a utility knife combined. Should help get much better edges. Ill also recess the head unit into the dash a bit more.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does that head unit come with a trim ring?

if so i would cut the hole to fit the trim ring then mold that in place with some epoxy to bond the dash kit to the trim ring and then some bondo to smooth it out. re-paint/texture and call it good.

in the business that is how most of us would do it. or we would make our own trim ring with either abs or a think piece of mdf and mold it into the bezel.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good. Wish I had the money to spend for one of these.

As far as cleaning it up, you could tape up the edges and face of the radio and use body filler right to the edge, and then paint.

HemiJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the EVIC function as it should ,what about the factory microphone? Is there any functions that are lost doing this upgrade. Looks good

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the EVIC function as it should ,what about the factory microphone? Is there any functions that are lost doing this upgrade. Looks good

The head unit has a microphone built into it; so far it seems to work great. I cant find one function that Ive lost. EVIC works just as it should...actually, when I play songs from the USB drive, it now shows the song name on the EVIC, something I wished it would do before.