Alpine Sub Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yekimtrof0331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2017 Ram 2500 tradesman I just purchased has the stock 6 speaker system. If I find the Alpine sub and enclosure that goes under the rear passenger side seat in the models with the upgraded sound system, A. Do I need to have an amp to power it? B. Is it a difficult installation?
C. What all is needed to make it work with the stock radio?Screenshot_20240222_195214_Facebook.jpg

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need an amplifier. The stock six-speaker system uses four line outputs from the stereo head split into four channels (Front left, front right, rear left, rear right). Your front doors and dash corners are on the respective front channels, and your 2x rear doors on the rear ones. Best to get an amp with a separate sub output. Running power to the amp, and the speaker outputs over to it shouldn't be too hard if you've got any wiring experience. Running the wire from the amp to the sub will probably be the most challenging part. You might be able to get away with an amp that drives the sub only but I'd say just go ahead and plan for a complete system upgrade if you want it to sound good. That means add a minimum four- or six-channel amp with sub output. Upgrade your speakers while you're at it. You can use the same head unit. If you upgrade the speakers, use the Metrix-connectors (check at Crutchfield) - they come free with speaker upgrades. Crutchfield has pretty good recommendations so check them out and give them a call if you have any questions.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 2017 Ram 2500 tradesman I just purchased has the stock 6 speaker system. If I find the Alpine sub and enclosure that goes under the rear passenger side seat in the models with the upgraded sound system, A. Do I need to have an amp to power it? B. Is it a difficult installation?
C. What all is needed to make it work with the stock radio?View attachment 538013
That's what I did and yes you will need an amp. I recommend this one...

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I did and yes you will need an amp. I recommend this one...

Thank you for sharing the link for the Kicker amp. Back in the day Kicker amps and Fosgate amps were the way to go. There is nothing wrong with Alpine or the other amps that are out there to purchase. When my Ram is delivered tomorrow, I know which direction I am heading if the Alpine stereo system is garbage.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you for sharing the link for the Kicker amp. Back in the day Kicker amps and Fosgate amps were the way to go. There is nothing wrong with Alpine or the other amps that are out there to purchase. When my Ram is delivered tomorrow, I know which direction I am heading if the Alpine stereo system is garbage.
The factory Alpine system is a bit trickier to modify from what I've read. There are lots of threads on this forum with regards to upgrading it though to lead the way.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I pick up my new Warlock tomorrow and it's booked next Tuesday to remove the stock Alpine system including the sub and put my system in from my previous truck.

The four door speakers and the two dash speakers are getting replaced, and my two Kenwood amps wired in to it all including my two 10" subs and 5 farad capacitor, too.

My installer did say that he may be able to utilize the remaining couple of factory Alpine speakers with the factory amp and jigger it so that they act as a surround sound type of enhancement, and utilizing my aftermarket deck in conjunction with some other wizardry I know nothing about..lol, tune it all so that the timing and cohesion of the system is perfect.

Looking forward to the turnout when I pick it up the following day.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had my Ram close to a week now, and so far the Alpine system sounds alot better than the stereo in the '01 Ford. It's been years since I have had a ground pounding stereo. I know my wife and mother couldn't handle anything loud. As of now the Alpine will meet my needs.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in another thread some one was asking about a mysterious connector under the rear seat that wasn't being used. I wonder if that is for the added factory amp if installed.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in another thread some one was asking about a mysterious connector under the rear seat that wasn't being used. I wonder if that is for the added factory amp if installed.
If the connector is under the passenger side rear seat (there should be two of them (for DVC Subs) and they are identical) they are for the Factory installed Alpine Subwoofer and will not be functional without the factory installed AMP. One connector is channel 7 and the other is channel 10 if the Alpine system is installed. The Alpine Amp is located under the dash, up to the left side of the footwell. It's tucked pretty high up. WRT to the Sub, it is possible to use a different subwoofer (I have a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 wired in Series for 4Ω and love it!). Since mine is wired in series, the 2nd connector isn't used.

OP
OP
Y

Yekimtrof0331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I figured it all out. Found an enclosure with and aftermarket sub. Installed a $70 kenwood amp from Walmart. Ran all the wires under the carpet nicely. I'm not trying to win any competitions with it. But it does sound super nice. About to upgrade the dash speakers to jbl gto 3.5s. Should sound amazing.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I figured it all out. Found an enclosure with and aftermarket sub. Installed a $70 kenwood amp from Walmart. Ran all the wires under the carpet nicely. I'm not trying to win any competitions with it. But it does sound super nice. About to upgrade the dash speakers to jbl gto 3.5s. Should sound amazing.
It always sounds better when you DIY it!