Don't-Strip-or-Break-It

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockAuto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Don’t you hate the sinking feeling you get when you realize you have stripped a bolt or broken the head off a fastener. The car project, whatever it was, suddenly got harder and less fun.

Near the top of the Don't-strip-or-break-it list are spark plugs. Nobody wants damaged threads in a cylinder head or half a spark plug frozen in place. Unfortunately, the potential for problems increases when high mileage spark plugs are left untouched in relatively soft aluminum cylinder heads.

Watch Pat Goss's hands-on tips for removing spark plugs without breaking them. Hopefully you will learn a few things that will keep the next spark plug change fun, not nerve wracking.

Removing Spark Plugs from Aluminum Cylinder Heads - YouTube

Listed under Extras and some specific car models, RockAuto has spark plug non-foulers and spark plug hole chaser tools that can clean up damaged threads. There are even tools specifically designed to remove broken spark plugs and bits of spark plug porcelain from the Ford Triton engines.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Tip

Getting ready to do my Plugs. (High Mileage 5.7 Hemi) I plan on blowing out the wells with my air gun so there is no debris to fall into the cylinder once the plug is removed. Then spraying them with PB Blaster penatrating oil and let that soak in a while. Then I will apply the tips in this video when I complete the job

becraftc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
I sure do wish I had of seen this video two days ago. Instead I have broken off one of the plugs. 7 of 8 plugs came out with no problems, but one had to be the *******. Now I'm in the process of lightly heating the threads and using PB Blaster and a screw extraction tool. I'm really hoping this works, but I'm not rushing it. I bought the screw type extractor, but it's not wanting to come out easily so I'm not forcing it. I'm going to pick up the straight fluted extractor tomorrow and give that a whirl. I've heard it seems to work better. Luckily the ceramic came out of it in one piece so there are no worries of ceramic in the cylinder. Wish me luck and cross your fingers that I can leave the head.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice video I have ways used anti seize but some recommend against it. The way I see it what has worked time and time again for me does not need to be changed so ill keep doing it.