Info on Hemi Tensioner Plate Assy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Just some FYI about the The Cloyes Timing Chain Tensioner I recieved.
Firstly I had a hunch about what I would get (see last Para) when I ordered this part BUT in the end I am still very pleased with the part I got as it will do just fine and in the end I still saved $110 Dollars. (Trying to keep this short but Car parts availability in Canada sucks) So Thank-You Again Rock-Auto.

So heres my observation. I am preparing to do my 4th Hemi Cam Swap on my 2005 Magnum RT and I looked up just the Timing Chain Tensioner to see what the Part number it was first to compare with an 06 Charger SRT-8 and only got a hit for a complete Timing Chain Kit on the 5.7 side, but thats Ok because I wanted to order the beefier 6.1 Hemi Tensioner (like the OEM ones) anyways.

So next i looked up the 6.1 part and found the application and the Cloyes Part 9-5489 appeared and then I placed my order.

I recieved the Part but it is not like the Factory 6.1 Tensioner but rather same as a Factory 5.7L tensioner.

I have not seen this in person to 100% confirm for myself (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but the 6.1 tensioner from what I gather should have on the Left Side Backelite Slider (comes Pinned Back) a Qty of 4 Metal Blades that Make up the spring assy, rather than only 2 like on the Factory 5.7L.

I read somewhere (warned ahead of time) that this Cloyes part # was the same for both aftermarket motor replacements unless you buy it direct from Mopar in a complete set at $160.00 you then get the 4 blade tensioner for a 6.1 set-up (vs $70 for complete 5.7L set-up) as the Chain/Cam/Crank gears are the same for both.

So whats my point here! Only really a BTW Guys! My engine has only 36K miles so this will just be some assurance since I am replacing the Oil Pump anyways and the tensioners are known to fail (been there but got Luckey).

I recommend a Transfer this part # over to the 5.7 side of things in your system where I could not find it (maybe I did miss it dunno) and remove it from your 6.1 section on its own or put a note that it is only a 2 blader spring assy.

Thanks for Reading my long Post. You Guys still Rock and I remain a Good Customer but where the Hell was my Fridge Magnet with the last Order........is there a minimum $$ before you Guys throw one in the Box? :baby:

Danny

Last edited:
OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is cut and Dry! Bump.

OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought i would get a Reply! Oh well off to order some TPMS's For the Wifes Mitsubishi from You Guys and will let this Die....unless you see my Thread 1 above some day!