1500's are really this useless? - Hit the CAT scale today - Disgusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Something’s definitely wrong. Here is my payload sticker.25255a46e409eda421f5d8e72de90d82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
***Warning: Idiot mode here....****

Where is this payload sticker located?? It's not inside the driver's side door.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Is this an issue with other 1/2 ton trucks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes. Most 1/2 tons will run out of payload well before they hit their "max tow capacity".

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is on the body when you open the door....inbetween front and rear door.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Duh, I found it - on the body inside the door, not on the door itself.

Age-related cognitive decline is a b*tch.

So is finding out max payload is 1391.

Seriously??? Me and my wife and a little over a grand in the bed???

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Is this an issue with other 1/2 ton trucks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With Toyota, yes and not sure about Nissan. The ford's and Chevys mostly have respectable payloads. My 2015 1500 Silverado had over 1700 lbs of payload and that was a crew cab, short bed with lots of options and a 3.42 gear

Dodge needs to address this and make their half tons more capable, or maybe offer a max payload option like ford does on the f150? Some f150s have 2k of payload

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine's off too, but not as bad as some........door sticker says 1161

Attachments

• rating.jpg
    rating.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
With Toyota, yes and not sure about Nissan. The ford's and Chevys mostly have respectable payloads. My 2015 1500 Silverado had over 1700 lbs of payload and that was a crew cab, short bed with lots of options and a 3.42 gear

Dodge needs to address this and make their half tons more capable, or maybe offer a max payload option like ford does on the f150? Some f150s have 2k of payload

Its easier for Ford to have higher payload ratings because of all the weight they saved going all aluminum. So thats the trade off. If someone doesnt care about having an aluminum truck then yeah, you get a higher payload rating on paper.

But yes, Ram 1500 is the worst with payload ratings. Any Ram 1500 with a payload of 7xx pounds on the door sticker is rediculous lol.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm going to weigh in on this (HA! See what I did there?) and I likely won't be the popular opinion.

I was in the same boat. I am now in a 2500, BUT, I made that decision based on a few things. Weight was one- the heaviest I weighed my truck axles on a camping trip was 8000lbs and change and I knew that was too much- so I jumped to a bigger truck.

In this adventure of the 1500, I actually got confused and fed up trying to research online. It seems that one out of 3 people (no offense meant guys, but it's true) was an internet lawyer and a weight cop. Gloom, doom, mayhem, destruction and lawsuits. This simply is not fact. I stepped away from the keyboard and actually went and asked those in the know, those who insure the vehicles and those that would be responsible for enforcement. Here is what I came up with (keep in mind, this is Saskatchewan and Alberta for sure- the only province that *may* be different is BC, but I have had many refute that):

1. As a privately registered vehicle- they don't give a **** about you. If you are stopped for whatever reason, they only care about what is registered weight. Meaning, your vehicle registration. For example- I register my 2500 to 11340Kgs (25000lbs) which is more that Rams rated GCWR, and WAY more than the GVWR of 10000lbs. I do that for cushion and would be completely legal on any road (unless the roads weight was otherwise specified by the Ministry of highways) in Sask, door stickers and manufacturer ratings be damned, at that weight as long as my tire ratings weren't exceeded.

2. Both a RCMP member (actually 3 that I know personally) and the MOT member I talked to at the weigh scales would not pull you over unless they saw evidence of completely unsafe handling and loading practices- like **** falling off the truck, weaving all over, unable to control the load, a blown tire, etc. If you have a holiday trailer and do not display the required commercial decals on the side of your truck or a business name on the side of the truck, they simply don't care about you.

3. If there was an accident, you are still insured. Drunk drivers are insured in an accident. No, they will not gather up all the itty bitty pieces and weigh them and compare them to your ratings lining you up for a lawsuit. That doesn't happen here. At all. Ever.

4. They do (very infrequently) have random check stops- but this is more for education and inspection for proper connection methods (crossed chains, working brakes, lights, etc.) again, they don't give a **** what your door sticker and Rams ratings are.

5. Exceeding your manufacturers "ratings" will likely only result in premature failures or wear, possibly denial of warranty. I know my dealer basically automatically denies driveline warranty on any 1500 that comes in with a 5th wheel plate on it.

So, if you're a few or even 500lbs over and you are comfortable with it- hook and go. You won't explode and you won't get a fine, and honestly I doubt you'd even get a second glance. I strongly encourage you to go ask people that actually know though, do not rely on the internet experts! It caused me many sleepless nights and a lot of anxiety! You should even take what I have written with a grain of salt as it may very well be different in your province, but I doubt it.

I get your rant though, there isn't a 150/1500 made that would suit my needs- that's why I went bigger.

Last edited:

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wing it.

Heavy spec trailer with a 3/4 burb on the back and a 250 2 stroke in the box.

14379935_10157355802825004_2966241276872850851_o.jpg

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Things are a bit different in the U.S.

Good info for Canadian members though.

State Troopers and DOT service vehicles on interstates in the U.S. do carry plate scales in their vehicles. My neighbor got ass ***** in fines and his insurance dropped him when he rear ended another vehicle while being over weight.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Its easier for Ford to have higher payload ratings because of all the weight they saved going all aluminum. So thats the trade off. If someone doesnt care about having an aluminum truck then yeah, you get a higher payload rating on paper.

Like this??!!.....:happy175:

59f9e9ffe68be.png

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
My post and experience reads similar to Smurfs and I'm in Ohio not Canada. Ricochet if your neighbor failed to keep assured clear distance and rear ended someone his weight was likely irrelevant unless you can provide some kind of proof to the contrary. It just reads like more scare tactics. Not saying that was your intent.

I wish mfgs would do away with the payload stickers. They get mis-used. People try to use them to figure out what they can tow with them. They are only to estimate how much you can load in the cab & bed without a scale & without a trailer.

For a relevant trailer ie over 5k per the mfg you are to use a WDH. Hence you need to use a scale & GVWR. With the most important numbers for stability and safety being axle weights and CVWR.

If you are trying to compare half tons forget the payload sticker and advertising hype. Here is the current regular max axle & GVWR ratings.

Listed GVWR, steer, drive, and combined. I ranked them weakest to strongest by combined axle.

Nissan 7,100-3,500-3,800-7,300
Ford. 7,000-3,600-3,800-7,400
Ram. 6,950-3,900-3,900-7,800
GM. 7,200-3,950-3,850-7,900
Toyota 7,200-4,000-4,150-8,150

Only for advertising & payload sticker purposes Ram would help itself by raising the GVWR to say 7,250. But axle rating and CVWR is the main thing as is actually weighing your wet load & optimizing your weight distribution both by hitch and other.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things are a bit different in the U.S.

Good info for Canadian members though.

State Troopers and DOT service vehicles on interstates in the U.S. do carry plate scales in their vehicles. My neighbor got ass ***** in fines and his insurance dropped him when he rear ended another vehicle while being over weight.
I've been around the block a few times, and have owned trucks and towed trailers or carried loads for at least 30 years. I've also talked to people in the know, specifically state troopers and licensing personnel. For non-commercial types, there is NO enforcement of any kind, nor any requirement to get weighed or checked. I've also never heard any verifiable story of somebody loosing their ass in a lawsuit because they were overloaded. However, ALL of my experience is on the western side of the US. I know some eastern states do have more restrictions and inspections for RVs, etc.

VernDiesel, I don't think your specs are accurate. They may reflect the bottom ratings of each brand, but I know Nissan and Ford have half tons with higher ratings.

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Like this??!!.....:happy175:

59f9e9ffe68be.png

LMAO. Damn.

Some guys on here are getting a payload of 0 but if you looked that thing up on Ford's site they'd have to give you a negative rating.

Your payload rating is: -1600lbs. Please purchase our SUPER Super Duty F450 to tow this trailer.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
People can do whatever they want. Plenty of people towing over loaded, putting HID's in halogen housings, blacking out their tail lights, etc. Not that those things are legal, nor would I ever condone those actions. They usually won't bite you in the ass until those actions injure someone else. Most cops aren't going to stop or investigate you for most things until they have to, like an MVA. And not all MVA's when towing can be avoided regardless of your setup. There are plenty of tests and videos on youtube showing how stopping distance is effected while towing.

I've already contacted my dealer to have the wheels swapped for 20's and they are getting a replacement sticker with the proper cargo capacity.