18k lb towing, manual or auto tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All,

I have been struggling with a Ford 6.0 for many years and am very close to buying a Ram. It is not my daily driver, mostly used for hauling a heavy camper (4,000 lbs) and pulling an 18,000lb 5-th wheel. I will buy a 3500, diesel, 4-door dually.

Here are my two questions. 1) In my area I have found a few low miles 2012's. Any issue with that year? 2) I am inclined to go with a manual tranny. Will a big trailer like mine be too much for the clutch? Would I be better off with the Allison?

rraulston

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would not do a 12 Cummins truck. 13s now have better emissions. Also, I don't think a manual will be an option for you. I think they quit making those....could be wrong though...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They still make a manual cummins just not gasser.

$miley

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I cant imagine towing 18,000 lbs with a 6.0, I tow 13k lbs (almost 23k combination) with our 6.0 with a manual trans and its a dog lol

I prefer manuals as I'm usually towing through back roads rather then highways

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, don't worry about the clutch.

I am sure South Bend has something that will hold it if the factory one won't.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The manuals do have less power because the stock clutch cant handle the power of the HO engine reliably and a clutch that can is very stiff and noisy as well
But the upside is they have much steepier gearing especially 1st gear
The G56 flywheel are known to warp with extra power as well

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would a 13 with the new heavy duty trans be the best option? Im kind of curious as well since my dad keeps talking about getting a big toy hauler. I may have to upgrade like what birddog did because he doesnt want to give up his raptor lol.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Would a 13 with the new heavy duty trans be the best option? Im kind of curious as well since my dad keeps talking about getting a big toy hauler. I may have to upgrade like what birddog did because he doesnt want to give up his raptor lol.

If you can afford it I would get the Aisin which you can for now only get in the 3500. That transmission I believe has comparable reliability to an Allison which is really all GM has to lure people because the engine has nothing on an inline six. I am not sure what max power rating is as far as tuning goes but I am sure it is sick.

$miley

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would go with the manual. I just feel that you have so much more control over a manual than an automatic, especially when towing. You have 0 control over "clutch engagement" with an auto, and that really bothers me when I tow with my 1/2 ton as I have never had an auto before in my life.

Also, if you could still find a programmer out there that has't been sent back to the manufacturer you could delete the emissions stuff, but you have to look around for a used one since all the new ones were shat on by the EPA.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
u have to go auto, the manual has a max GVW of 14000 or so and the auto is 24000 or damn close to it

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Do your mean trailer weight or GCWR?
An auto hemi with 4.10 can pull a 14k lb trailer
A crew cab 4x4 drw with a 6 speed and 3.73 can pull 17,740lbs
Same truck with an auto and 4.10s can pull 29k lbs with 37.5k lb GCWR

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
stay away from the allison my dad had a avalanche and the trans went out at 2700 miles and the silverado that my brother currently has went out at 500 miles and both trucks were brand new with no towing at all within those periods

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
stay away from the allison my dad had a avalanche and the trans went out at 2700 miles and the silverado that my brother currently has went out at 500 miles and both trucks were brand new with no towing at all within those periods

Well those are probably not an Allison transmission as I don't think they ever put them in the Avalanche and they are not in 1500 Silverado's just the heavy duty trucks. Allison is regarded as the very best my most.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Do your mean trailer weight or GCWR?
An auto hemi with 4.10 can pull a 14k lb trailer
A crew cab 4x4 drw with a 6 speed and 3.73 can pull 17,740lbs
Same truck with an auto and 4.10s can pull 29k lbs with 37.5k lb GCWR

i was meaning total payload/trailer but the numbers were also off the top of my head i just remembered when i was purchasing my truck the manual had a much lower capacity than the auto, auto's are also a much stronger design than most standards (look at heavy equipment) but to each their own, my car is standard and i love it its all personal preference task and price dependant of course. OP just make sure what ever your buying that it is rated for the task at hand

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine

Allison was never equipped in the Avalanche and only the 2500/3500 series coupled with the Duramax got the Allison.

Well those are probably not an Allison transmission as I don't think they ever put them in the Avalanche and they are not in 1500 Silverado's just the heavy duty trucks. Allison is regarded as the very best my most.

Correct, it hauls damn near EVERYTHING in the military. Could you imagine a dodge RAM cummins coupled to a allison, I'd be all over it.

OP I'd base it on how much your going to be towing, how often, and your driving habits/conditions. I'd say a lot more variables come into play but coming from the diesel/towing crowd (parents own a towing company) I despise towing with an auto. It makes some things more simple but generally ends up costing you more in the long run. That's my personal opinion though, we do heavy duty towing and I'd chose manual over an auto in most cases. The Aisin for dodge is made in Japan is it not? If that sort of thing bothers you. In my eyes if your going diesel, there isn't a better name than cummins, so at least you'd be on the right road their.