Options for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey gang,

I currently own a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I bought it to be a daily driver with 4wd for mountain offroading, road trips and driving in the snow.

After having it for a bit, we bought a camper trailer which loaded up weighs about 6k lbs. My truck can pull it with its 3.21 gearing - the transmission doesn't overheat - but the gas mileage is terrible and it just feels like a dog. Up a mountain pass, its going up over 4.5k RPM and the mileage drops to 5-6 MPG. I've come to really hate towing with the truck.

I'm considering a few options:

1. Upgrade to a 6.4 with 3.71 gears (can't seem to find a used 2500 with 4.10s)
2. Change rear end on my current truck to 4.10 or 3.92 gears
3. Screw it - just keep towing with what I've got
4. Long shot - consider a Cummins

I've seen some amazing charts on topics similar to this on the boards, but hoping for a recommendation more tailored to my "issue". Would simply swapping out gears on my current truck make a enough of a difference to make up for the torque difference in the 6.4?

Sincere thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts.

C.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Hemi powerband is high up and there's no issue with wringing it out. Only downside is mileage which is unavoidable especially when towing an airbrake trailer like a camper.

1. Sure a new truck would make towing easier, probably cost more for the trade and payment than the gas cost unless you're towing constantly.
2. Won't make enough of a difference to have any return on the investment, especially since it's a 4x4 and the front end is costly to swap.
3. Yup
4. See #1

Watch oil and transmission temps and send it. Make sure your weights are correct and scale as needed.

OP
OP
C

cubsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when towing - is there a noticeable difference between the 5.7 and the 6.4?

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can tell you that a 6.4 will still rev pretty high when pushing it. Base gas mileage will be worse due to the heavier truck so it will probably be about the same, you just wont notice the camper as much behind you with a 2500.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I would consider a lighter trailer. "I really hate towing with this truck."
It is supposed to be fun. If it isn't it is worth it to change something. Changing trailers is the easiest and least expensive option.
I got a 2022 Ram with the diesel last year. Towing is now like a nice dream.

OP
OP
C

cubsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to you all for the conversation. Ppine, what does your camper weigh? Have you had any issues with your after-treatment equipment with your diesel? That's a big concern of mine with a 6.7.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The main reason to upgrade to a heavy duty truck is for better control of the load. Bigger brakes, stronger chassis. A gas HD will not pull uphill significantly different.

Changing axle gears to tow (unless full time) is a big waste of money. The 8 speed has plenty of gears and after spending thousands regearing you’ll find yourself still climbing uphill at 4K RPM; just in 5th gear rather than 4th. And it won’t change the fuel economy.

Buying a diesel will give you a more relaxed towing experience, because it’ll hold power at altitude, and run lower revs. It will not save you any money, because the increased fuel economy is eaten up by higher fuel prices.

I recommend option 3, and just adjust your expectations. Lots of people new to towing expect to drive up and down mountains at the same pace as a car. Which *is* possible in many cases with modern trucks. And expensive.

OP
OP
C

cubsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Believe it or not, I'm not super new to towing - just used to a commercial (pre-emissions) diesel vehicle. Surprised what a bummer it is to tow with a gas engine.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey gang,

I currently own a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I bought it to be a daily driver with 4wd for mountain offroading, road trips and driving in the snow.

After having it for a bit, we bought a camper trailer which loaded up weighs about 6k lbs. My truck can pull it with its 3.21 gearing - the transmission doesn't overheat - but the gas mileage is terrible and it just feels like a dog. Up a mountain pass, its going up over 4.5k RPM and the mileage drops to 5-6 MPG. I've come to really hate towing with the truck.

I'm considering a few options:

1. Upgrade to a 6.4 with 3.71 gears (can't seem to find a used 2500 with 4.10s)
2. Change rear end on my current truck to 4.10 or 3.92 gears
3. Screw it - just keep towing with what I've got
4. Long shot - consider a Cummins

I've seen some amazing charts on topics similar to this on the boards, but hoping for a recommendation more tailored to my "issue". Would simply swapping out gears on my current truck make a enough of a difference to make up for the torque difference in the 6.4?

Sincere thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts.

C.
I would recommend trying to find a 2500 hemi to try out and see how it tows. Do the same with a cummins. I used to have only cummins trucks and now have a 2019 6.4 hemi. I don't tow a lot, but the hemi will get the job done...just not even close to as good as the Cummins does it. The hemi will downshift a decent amount, up hills in my area it is usually 3k to 3.5k rpm. The Cummins would never downshift!! It took me quite a while getting used to the high rpms of the hemi, but overall I like it. It is overall better for me since I drive 1 mile to work everyday. My 2016 Cummins never had emissions issues doing the same thing, but I figured it would eventually be bad for it...that is why I went hemi.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Up a mountain pass, its going up over 4.5k RPM and the mileage drops to 5-6 MPG.
The Hemi makes 410 ft/lbs of torque at 4K rpms, torque is what pulls a load, your rpms up around 4500 rpms... coincidence I think not. If you want to see the rpms in the 2K rpm range buy a diesel, the fuel economy will improve also. For comparison both the EcoDiesel and Cummins torque peak are both under 2K rpm (480 ft/lbs EcoD at 1600, Cummins 850 or 1025 ft/lbs by 1600).
Buying a HD truck is going to be more of a want than a need for the trailer you have, the towing performance is going to be similar as the 6.4L makes 429 ft/lbs at 4K. The HD trucks adds almost 2K lbs to the base weight over a 1500

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A gas HD will not pull uphill significantly different.
Not so. A 6000# trailer is less than 40% of my towing capacity. I can pull 6000# uphill at highway speed and not even know 6000# is behind me.
Believe it or not, I'm not super new to towing - just used to a commercial (pre-emissions) diesel vehicle. Surprised what a bummer it is to tow with a gas engine.
I don't know what trim level your truck is, but just stay within the parameters of your particular tow/cargo capacity and you'll be fine. I maintained a CDL for 30 years before I retired and I find no issues with my gas engine.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ram 2500 6.7. Towing is a dream, super easy up hills, passing, stopping, in windy and wet conditions, passing or getting passed by big rigs.. My only complaint, Is now i want a 3500 duelly.. And for no really really. Im pulling 10k lb 30ft travel trailer easy peasy

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Having towed the same 7000lb TT with both my 2013 1500 5.7 3.55's and my 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's I can tell you there is a big difference. Both pulled it fine. The 1500 lugged up hills on the highway where the 2500 never slowed a bit. Handling was much better with the 2500 too. As far as fuel mileage, obviously the 1500 was better when daily driving but the 2500 got about 1 MPG better towing than the 1500 did.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Not so. A 6000# trailer is less than 40% of my towing capacity. I can pull 6000# uphill at highway speed and not even know 6000# is behind me.

That has more to do with the elevation difference between AR and UT and your perceptions vs the OP than any real world performance between the two trucks.

The 5.7 is 395 hp vs the 6.4 with 410. That’s an insignificant difference; just about enough to account for the extra weight of a HD truck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That has more to do with the elevation difference between AR and UT and your perceptions vs the OP than any real world performance between the two trucks.

The 5.7 is 395 hp vs the 6.4 with 410. That’s an insignificant difference; just about enough to account for the extra weight of a HD truck.
I'm not a homebody constrained to the state I reside in, I've towed over the Rockies and the Sierras, and across the Mojave desert since I've had this truck. My point was, I have a 15,000#+ towing capacity; a 6000# trailer follows me down the road like a puppy on a string. Barely even noticeable.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The main reason to upgrade to a heavy duty truck is for better control of the load. Bigger brakes, stronger chassis. A gas HD will not pull uphill significantly different.

Changing axle gears to tow (unless full time) is a big waste of money. The 8 speed has plenty of gears and after spending thousands regearing you’ll find yourself still climbing uphill at 4K RPM; just in 5th gear rather than 4th. And it won’t change the fuel economy.

Buying a diesel will give you a more relaxed towing experience, because it’ll hold power at altitude, and run lower revs. It will not save you any money, because the increased fuel economy is eaten up by higher fuel prices.

I recommend option 3, and just adjust your expectations. Lots of people new to towing expect to drive up and down mountains at the same pace as a car. Which *is* possible in many cases with modern trucks. And expensive.
I've seen a few accidents involving private citizens towing trailer campers on the open interstate highways over the years.
THE most saddening one was an S-10 pickup towing a 30+ foot Airstream on I-40 just west of Jackson, Mississippi back in 1987. The truck and trailer, still tethered, were in the treetops off to the side of the road. (There was quite a drop off along that stretch).

Although I didn't see the actual accident, it was pretty obvious that the tiny tot truck pulling that heavy and large of a trailer was a huge factor!

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 35ft trailer that's 7000 lbs empty. My truck with 3.92 gears tows incredibly well. I have done some steep inclines (Adirondack Mountains) and it will be up on RPM and your fuel economy will suffer greatly. I'd look into trading it for another truck with a 3.92 diff. Be sure your WDH is dialed in well too.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat