4.7 Redline/Caution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there is a rev limiter, but does anyone know what the caution and redline is on the 4.7?

What I'm really trying to figure out is what is a safe RPM to maintain while towing up a long decent grade for two minutes or so and what would be considered pushing it too hard.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would say about 80% throttle input @ 4000-4500 RPM is about as hard as I would go for extended periods of time, and say WOT @3500 RPM.

Mostly watch your engine, and tranny temps though, and depending on how heavy your load is... even your rear diff temps if it is a really steep grade for several miles.

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. 4,000 is about what I was thinking for a safe level as long as the temps were fine. I don't do it often, but there is one long grade I take my trailer on one trip per year and this will be the first time with this truck.

The camper isn't that heavy, only 3500 lbs and of course it's been pulling great on our weekend trips. I used to pull it with a 5 cylinder Chevy Colorado! Now THAT was fun on the hills :crazy:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Lol, I am sure pulling it was fun, but how was stopping it...? Probably even more fun.

I would say if you used to make the same pull with what would obviously be a much more under-powered truck, and you didn't blow that up... I think you can probably make a pretty good judgement as to what is safe for this new truck. :)

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stopping was actually fine since the trailer has brakes. the camper was within the Colorado's limits, just under powered. i think it was around 235 HP and 220 lbs torque. of course the Ram, even with the 4.7 makes the Colorado seem like a toy. LOL

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
235 hp is what the 1st generation of 4.7s were rated at. 310 horses ought to pull that camper just fine.