Add trailer brake controller to a 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw the other threads about adding a factory trailer brake controller to the previous years but in 2013 they changed the location. Anyone have a lead on the parts to do it?

Worse case senario would be a lead to get the pig tail to mount my prodigy in the new Ram.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the P2 sitting on my bench from my old truck. I will poke my head underneath the truck and see if I can find this white connector. Sure dont like splicing wires on a new truck.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the P2 sitting on my bench from my old truck. I will poke my head underneath the truck and see if I can find this white connector. Sure dont like splicing wires on a new truck.

It should be under the dash, not under the truck. On the 2011/2012 it's under the dash above where your left leg would be.

OP
OP

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I knew that, guess my fingers didnt lol. I hate it when one part of my body says one thing when my mind says anothe. You know, mouth, fingers, pe....

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question on the intergraded brake controler? I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn i bought new with the factory brake controller in it but found out it is not part of my Set Up screen, I do not have the option for Trailer Brakes??? Went back to dealer they say it is not Factory install but it is a Dealer install so that is why it is not in my EVIC set up screen!!! I ask if they could flash it or program it so it is there. They said No! It did not come from the factory so there is no way to get it to show up on your EVIC set up screen! HELP is this true? I have read other post that say you can install this factory controller and program or flash it to work with the pickups computer and it is on the EVIC set up screen! Does anyone know about this type of stuff!!PLEASE HELP

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question on the intergraded brake controler? I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn i bought new with the factory brake controller in it but found out it is not part of my Set Up screen, I do not have the option for Trailer Brakes??? Went back to dealer they say it is not Factory install but it is a Dealer install so that is why it is not in my EVIC set up screen!!! I ask if they could flash it or program it so it is there. They said No! It did not come from the factory so there is no way to get it to show up on your EVIC set up screen! HELP is this true? I have read other post that say you can install this factory controller and program or flash it to work with the pickups computer and it is on the EVIC set up screen! Does anyone know about this type of stuff!!PLEASE HELP

Just another dealer that doesn't know what there doing, show them the attached page that shows them how to flash.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S3 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359850126215.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359850126215.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 288

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@300MAG
Took to the dealer they said they have the same paper and they already did that, But does not show up in my SETUP screen!! HELP!! Tryed to tell them other dealers are doing it but they are only getting pissed off at me!! So they installed the software for intergrated brake trailer and they flashed it, but in the setup screen i can not see the Trailer Brake to select what type of trailer i am towing??

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@300MAG
Took to the dealer they said they have the same paper and they already did that, But does not show up in my SETUP screen!! HELP!! Tryed to tell them other dealers are doing it but they are only getting pissed off at me!! So they installed the software for intergrated brake trailer and they flashed it, but in the setup screen i can not see the Trailer Brake to select what type of trailer i am towing??

Have you tried hooking up the trailer. I read in a thread that the mode type pops up once you hook up the trailer harness, might be worth giving it a shot.

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
300MAG i tried hooking up to the trailer, but still nothing, the contoller shows the trailer is hooked up and also shows percentages on the controller, but still nothing on the center instrument panel!

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an FYI but I received this bulletin from Tekonsha this morning. I picked up my 13' Ram yesterday and I had a P3 Controller in my 08'. Also I have spoken to my dealer and the kit for the 2013 will not be shipped until March 4th.
From Tekonsha:
The electrical system on the 2013 Ram trucks has changed. Though the brake control connector is the same as the 2010-2012, the wire functions have changed. The terminal that used to be the stop light signal, now has battery voltage, whenever the ignition is in the run position. According to Dodge, it is not possible to install an aftermarket electric trailer brake control into these trucks. Dodge says, that “the 2013 Ram has “Powernet” and utilizes multiplex wiring that is different from any previous design’s, therefore, your aftermarket trailer brake control is not compatible”
At this time, the only aftermarket brake control that can be used on a 2013 Ram truck, is the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF. As soon as more information is available, a revision to this technical bulletin will be sent out.
Any attempt to install an aftermarket brake control into the vehicle, may cause severe damage to the vehicle’s electrical system or electrical component!

I had to copy and paste because it was a PDF.

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
300MAG i tried hooking up to the trailer, but still nothing, the contoller shows the trailer is hooked up and also shows percentages on the controller, but still nothing on the center instrument panel!

Something tells me they did something wrong. For instance if they didnt add the IBC sales code to your vin prior to flashing, then it wouldnt flash the firmware required to display the IBC info on the evic.
I would get a copy of your build sheet from dodge. If it doesn't show the IBC on the build sheet as a dealer installed option then that would be your problem. As much as I would like to believe everything a dealer says it would be foolish since they have burnt me in the past.

Sorry to the op for going off topic as this thread was for 13' issue.

DHDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2012 2500 Big Horn w/ factory brake controller. I do not like this factory controller. I plan to install my Tekonsha P3 (removed from 2004 2500). My questions: Will the "pig tail" from my '04 work in the 2012? And, how would I disable the factory controller? Is there a fuse.. Or just turn it down to 0.0?

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
Adams Jeep of Maryland in Aberdeen did added mine in and updated my computer.

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well as far as an update on my new 2013. I kicked this issue up to Chrysler customer support and they contacted the dealer directly and the dealer is installing the integrated brake controller for free. The squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess. I also want to give Chrysler customer service kudos for taking care of my issue and getting to the bottom of it and apologizing for not providing the dealer with the information they need to help the consumer. That being said I have a Tekonsha P3 Prodigy for sale that will work on anything up til 2012. It will just require the proper harness which run about 15 bucks online. If anyone is interested let me know, it was purchased lat March.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what do you want for the P3?

dustinslee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well as far as an update on my new 2013. I kicked this issue up to Chrysler customer support and they contacted the dealer directly and the dealer is installing the integrated brake controller for free. The squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess. I also want to give Chrysler customer service kudos for taking care of my issue and getting to the bottom of it and apologizing for not providing the dealer with the information they need to help the consumer. That being said I have a Tekonsha P3 Prodigy for sale that will work on anything up til 2012. It will just require the proper harness which run about 15 bucks online. If anyone is interested let me know, it was purchased lat March.

I need a brake controller for my 13. What do I need to do plz help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
I need a brake controller for my 13. What do I need to do plz help!

What Model truck do you have? Also, you should be able to call your local dealer and tell them you want it installed. From my exsperiance some dealers might not do it. So you might have to call around

dustinslee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the part number off here and they ordered it I just hope it works!! I have a 2013 ram 1500 express 4x4