Brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Esvajoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of an emergency request here. Bought a used camper this weekend and need a brake controller. Found a control unit locally, but no adapter cable yet. Went to Auto Zone, they had something they said would fit. Didnt happen. Could be me as well because I have no clue what Im looking at under the dash. The attached picture is the only connector I can see that is loose. Can anyone assist? 2016 Ram Sport with 5.7.

Thanks.
Joe

Attachments

• 20170702_144328.jpg
    20170702_144328.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 31

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
What brake controller did you buy?

I have a new Tekonsha Brake Controller Wiring Harness for Ram #3024. "Pug and Play". I never used it. Will sell for 10.00 plus shipping.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is a second connecter in that same area with only 4 contacts. That's the one you would need to hook up to. The one you have pictures plugs into the factory Brake Controller and is the interface with the radio/cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Esvajoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found it. That thing was tucked way up in there. Thanks guys. Issue now is finding the adapter cable like yesterday. No joy around here in 17402. Still digging. Thanks again.

R4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found it. That thing was tucked way up in there. Thanks guys. Issue now is finding the adapter cable like yesterday. No joy around here in 17402. Still digging. Thanks again.

My 5.7 came with a pigtail connector, it plugs underneath the dash, and has four wires coming out of it,

havent hooked it up yet,

but I did get a brake controller, and it didnt come with a plug and play harness,

I was just going to cut the connector off of the brake controller I bought, and wire them into the pigtail connector that came with the truck in case you were going to install a brake controller.

I think it will work.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Tekonsha had instruction of how to splice in their cable pigtail into the truck's harness (splice near that existing cable). I didn't use it as I bought the adapter cable that plugs in without splicing (Ram plug on one end, controller on the other). Did your controller come with a pigtail?

Some of the trailer sales dealers have adapter cables in stock. I saw some at the local NAPA. Dunno if each brand controller pinouts are different. Mine was 3024-P for the RAM, I've heard of others using the Tekonsha adapter for other controllers.

The support section of controller manufacture's web site may have diagrams and instructions.

Last edited: