Advice or wiring diagram for brake controller needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had an old tenkosha brake controller and it still worked fine but I was always hitting it with my knee, so I decided to pick up an oem brake controller on eBay and do an upgrade. I installed it and did the alphaobd settings, and everything seemed good. The controls light up and the gain buttons worked but the manual slider did not. I then checked the voltage at the 7 pin connector and it read no volts on the brakes but all other pins tested fine. I went back and checked all my connections and made sure they were tight. I also rechecked the part numbers were actually for the 13 to 14 and it all looked good. I also checked all the fuses and they were all good. I retried the tenkosha and it still worked like normal. Is there any other voltages I can check or anything anyone would recommend before I parts cannon another control module at this? I can’t find any wiring diagrams related to this so I’m a little in the dark about what each wire does in 10 pin and 4 pin connectors. Any advice would be great thanks.

edit, one thing I noticed that I thought was strange was that the 10 pin that plugs into the controls below the radio only had 9 wires and 9 pins but the control button itself had 10 pins coming out of it. Not sure if that’s a problem or how it’s supposed to be.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure you have the correct module and switch for the year truck?

I ordered the kit and didn't work when installed. They sent me one for a 19-23 ram 1500. Got the right one for the gen4 years and it works perfectly now.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try it with an actual trailer plugged in? I can't confirm but I thought it won't put out unless it senses a trailer is hooked up.
No havent yet, you're right though, looks like everything should be fine once I do that, the factory one is "smart" and doesnt put out voltage unless hooked up from what I read now

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you try it with an actual trailer plugged in? I can't confirm but I thought it won't put out unless it senses a trailer is hooked up.
You are correct. If it doesn't detect the trailer connected, it will show that on the dash display and kind of goes into standby mode.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it doesn't detect the trailer connected, it will show that on the dash display and kind of goes into standby mode.
It won't show a trailer brake warning unless is detects a good set of trailer brakes first.

@A_mod_too_far does anything happen on the EVIC when you move the manual slider? If you have the 7" multi-page color EVIC it should switch to the trailer brake page when the slider is moved even without a trailer connected.

just to double check, the OEM trailer brake kit for the 13-14 trucks is: 82213474AB

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It won't show a trailer brake warning unless is detects a good set of trailer brakes first.

@A_mod_too_far does anything happen on the EVIC when you move the manual slider? If you have the 7" multi-page color EVIC it should switch to the trailer brake page when the slider is moved even without a trailer connected.

just to double check, the OEM trailer brake kit for the 13-14 trucks is: 82213474AB
Perhaps I didn't read it correctly, but will show not connected whether a trailer was not connected first or just unplugged while in use. Well, mine does, anyway.

The 15 thru 17 part is the Continental 68288760AC.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Perhaps I didn't read it correctly, but will show not connected whether a trailer was not connected first or just unplugged while in use. Well, mine does, anyway.

The 15 thru 17 part is the Continental 68288760AC.
How could it show a trailer has been disconnected if one wasn't detected first? Once the vehicle is started and a trailer with working electric brakes is attached the trailer warning will show up if the trailer is disconnected until the vehicle is turned off.
That part number is for '16 and newer DS body trucks. The '15 model year has a part# all to itself: 82214492AB

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When I pull the manual slider it will switch to the trailer screen on the cluster momentarily but it stays at zero percent, which is the reason I initially thought there was a problem, but I think I just need to try it with a trailer

And yes I've double checked part numbers, those are correct