Cross Country Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buss111

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Hello everyone,

I am making this thread to get any tips on towing a crown Victoria from Tucson AZ to Long Island NY. An estimated 2300 miles.

I wanted to use a dolly, now I realize they are not ideal for RWD vehicles. I was informed I could disconnect the driveshaft to use the dolly. Not sure how difficult/ wise it would be for that long of a haul? I looked up the auto transport on U-Haul and they "approved" mah truck to tow it lol. Guess that is my means for towing the car.

After reading a bit on here I realize I want to minimize sway and have the most comfortable ride I can. est. curb weight is 4,000 lbs for the vic. I also need to load the bed with some tuff boxes maybe 4-500 lbs.

I am purchasing the Air Lift 1000s soon to help eliminate the sag. I have not bought a ball yet. Bruce will be kept in a garage for a year after the move as I knock out a year in Korea.

Any tips, recommendations, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The full trailer would probably be simpler. To use the dolly the drive shaft has to be disconnected so that the transmission doesn't turn. When the trans turns in nutrual the front pump doesn't turn witch means the trans fluid won't pump through the cooler and it will heat up and cause it to burn up the trans. The rear axle can turn freely and not heat up because the rear diff fluid will keep it cool and it doesn't get pumped though a cooler it would be the same as if it was just normally driving down the highway.

As far as the stuff in the bed of the truck I would try to push as much of that or the heavy stuff in the trunk of the crown vic as it's a big car and the uhaul trailers are short witch will put a lot of weight on the hitch. If you can displace some of that weight to behind the axle on the trailer it will help you out a bunch. Your talking 4k for the vic and 2 for the trailer that's 6000lbs and the way it'll be loaded you can pretty my h guarantee 15% or more of that will be hitch weight so that will be 900lbs plus the 4-500 in the bed is 13-1400 plus driver and passengers you would be toying with your gvw or over.

If you plan on useing the full trailer I deffenitly say get the air bags and try to put as much of the height of any items in the trunk of you can that will help you keep some weight off the hitch.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What sort of hitch do you have an the back of the truck now? 2" receiver?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The drive shaft has 4 or 5 bolts and I think they are take a 12 point 10 mm. Pretty simple to take out. Pull the bolts out, drop the back down and the imput shaft will slide out of the trans. A little trans fluid may run out so have a pan ready. There are probably a lot of you tube how to videos on this.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
For that distance, I wouldn't haul it on a dolly, I'd put it on a trailer.

Your truck should be able to handle the trailer and car with no issues.

OP
OP
B

Buss111

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Thanks all for the advice. I have chosen to have the vehicle shipped to NY, well actually Newark as it saved me some money. Final cost is 869.00 I thought it was a bit much, but after getting multiple quotes it was the cheapest by about $150.00.

Now I can tow a 5x8 with only a few hundred pounds and nothing in the bed.

I just put on my tow mirrors, (Fit System 80710 Snap-on Black Towing Mirror ) they fit nice and I will shave down the tabs that secure the mirror in case I need to use the auto fold in a tight space.

I will be putting in the Air Lift 1000s either this weekend or next, can't wait to see how those work out. I have a couple runs to the dump.