Hauling ATV with tailgate down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Hey guys, I just bought a Honda Rancher and want to haul it in my truck bed. I have a short bed so the tailgate must be down. My concern is, the tailgate straps seem uneven -- the one on the passenger side is tide when the tailgate is down and the other is loose. My first question is, is this normal? Second, is it safe to haul my ATV this way? The ATV is about 700 lbs. Thank you!:):):)

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't speak to the unevenness of the tailgate, but I haul my ATV with the gate down all the time. Just be sure to properly secure it and you're good to go. I put the front of it about three inches from the cab, and strap it in. I strap from the rear of the ATV to the front of the bed, and from the from the front of the ATV to the rear of the bed. This way it doesn't move in any direction, and doesn't bend the front of my bed towards the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
This is genius!! I haven't thought about strap it this way!! Do you strap the ATV on the tires or on the racks? I was told to compress the suspension, so probably on the racks?

I can't speak to the unevenness of the tailgate, but I haul my ATV with the gate down all the time. Just be sure to properly secure it and you're good to go. I put the front of it about three inches from the cab, and strap it in. I strap from the rear of the ATV to the front of the bed, and from the from the front of the ATV to the rear of the bed. This way it doesn't move in any direction, and doesn't bend the front of my bed towards the cab.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is genius!! I haven't thought about strap it this way!! Do you strap the ATV on the tires or on the racks? I was told to compress the suspension, so probably on the racks?

I actually go straight to the frame. Sometimes I go right on the foot rests, sometimes I use the frame. You want as straight of a line as possible as to not put friction on the straps. Since the suspension still lets the bike move a bit, the straps can rub raw. It really depends on where you can anchor it. I use the cleats in the bed at the bottom. I have retractable straps just for the ATV, so it only takes me 5 minutes to strap it in.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

lol that's load strapping 101. Look at some photos online and you'll get some good ideas on strapping all manner of different loads.

As far as the tailgate cables being different lengths, mine are as well. In reality, I imagine, that its really a manifestation of the bed being slightly out of square than the cables actually being different lengths. You'll be fine hauling your wheeler that way.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure about the uneven straps but I tow my 2017 Honda rancher all the time. I also use one of these and it's great. No need for other straps with this set up. It's solid and I tow a long ways from my house to where I hunt and zero issues.

Kolpin Lock-it-Rite ATV System-LGD-30-U - The Home Depot

This works if you have a hitch ball on your bike (some don't). I returned mine. Just too much play in every connection for me and the rattling and movement drive me nuts. It is super quick though!

OP
OP
R

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
It seems very sturdy and strong. How do you hook it to your Rancher though, what size of trailer ball you installed on the Rancher? Thanks!

Not sure about the uneven straps but I tow my 2017 Honda rancher all the time. I also use one of these and it's great. No need for other straps with this set up. It's solid and I tow a long ways from my house to where I hunt and zero issues.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This works if you have a hitch ball on your bike (some don't). I returned mine. Just too much play in every connection for me and the rattling and movement drive me nuts. It is super quick though!

This is true some don't. Mine doesn't rattle or move though. Maybe I lucky. I'm buying a trailer soon as i am looking into a side by side now.

OP
OP
R

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Love you guys! So helpful and responded so swiftly!! I am gonna try the ratchet straps first and see how it works. Any suggestion on the ramps? I would imagine the longer the better?

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems very sturdy and strong. How do you hook it to your Rancher though, what size of trailer ball you installed on the Rancher? Thanks!

Just a standard 2" ball. There should be a place for a ball on your rancher. It is very sturdy and it's adjustable for however you need it. Also to answer your other question I prefer 8" ramps but the 6" ramps are fine to.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Love you guys! So helpful and responded so swiftly!! I am gonna try the ratchet straps first and see how it works. Any suggestion on the ramps? I would imagine the longer the better?

Yes. The longer, the better.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Just be careful driving it in the truck. I was at the car was a little while back and came upon a guy washing his ATV there. When he was done he attempted to drive it into the bed an S10 by the way. As he got it up the boards kicked out the front end of the ATV came up and it flipped over backwards on top of him. He got hurt not real bad but he down for awhile. It was sort of right out of Americas funniest videos but it was not funny. Personally a small low to the ground trailer is both a safer and easier option.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just be careful driving it in the truck. I was at the car was a little while back and came upon a guy washing his ATV there. When he was done he attempted to drive it into the bed an S10 by the way. As he got it up the boards kicked out the front end of the ATV came up and it flipped over backwards on top of him. He got hurt not real bad but he down for awhile. It was sort of right out of Americas funniest videos but it was not funny. Personally a small low to the ground trailer is both a safer and easier option.

That's why I ratchet strap my ramps to the receiver that way they can't back out

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I did a snowmobile on piece of plywood last weekend.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's why I ratchet strap my ramps to the receiver that way they can't back out

This. Anyone who doesn't secure the ramps is asking for trouble. Ask me how I know. Or see above. Lol.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My ramps are about 10 feet long and 8" wide. They fold in half and ride under the ATV while in transit. I secure them to the truck via their built in straps, both to load the bike and while in travel. Not securing them would be unpleasant for sure.
They're a bit long, but my truck is tall and if you park on a bit of a hill to load or unload a 6' ramp can get kind of sketchy. Since my bike is around 700 pounds, I'd rather have longer ramps and have no issues.

OP
OP
R

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Thanks for the advice, I may end up winching it instead of driving it into the truck.

OP
OP
R

Rocktd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
This may be off topic. But I am going to hunt javelina by the of this month. Any mods you would recommend to do on the Rancher?