2023 1500 Limited with LT295/55 R22 Toyo Country AT/3 on stock 22's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jokingjimmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Posted this somewhere else, figure it might help folks here that are looking for bigger tires.

I just picked up my 2023 Limited RED Edition a couple weeks ago. Mine had the OEM spec Pirelli Verde A/S in 285/45R22 M+S (no really, it's marked M+S lol) with no off-road group and 3.21 rear end.

I have spent way too many hours researching and trying to decide on tires. I wanted a tire that was rated to perform in the winter, snow and ice (3PMS), performed better in light to medium off-roading but really did better than the rest on long highway drives. Finally chose to keep the OEM stock 22x9 black Y-spoke wheels. I really like the y-spoke design, I have to admit! Replaced the Pirelli Verde A/S 285/45 R22 with Toyo Open Country AT/3 LT 295/55 R22 = 34.8" x 12.2" @ 62 lbs each. Wanted LT vs Floaters for several reasons. I don't do serious off-roading or rock climbing, prefer the lighter tire weight (73lbs for 35/12.50 vs 62 lbs for the LT295s), the heavier load range for future towing and the speed rating. Again, I only do light off-roading, snow driving and gravel stuff - mostly city and highway with 3-4 2k highway trips (family at holidays) per year. Originally was looking more for a 33 x 12.5 but was worried about the specs, and that unsprung weight. OK how they look was a consideration as well

My comments regarding this setup.

1. Fit - First question I'm sure is "Do they fit?" Answer - No rubbing in Normal through OR2 drive modes (2/5 thru 5/5). I installed Husky brand mud flaps, and unfortunately they do rub on the driver's side mud flap at 2/5 and 3/5 (Aero and Normal) ride height only when turning left 80%ish (not full lock, nor in any other ride height). I installed Revel level kit (front only) and took a heat gun to the one mud flap and basically worked down the spot where it protrudes into the wheel well and "kisses" the tire at partial left turn. See pick with the blue arrow, that little 1/2" section is the only rub with flaps on.
  2. Noise - Next question "Are they loud?" I did not use a sound meter, so this is somewhat subjective. I noticed a roughly 5% add in road noise. Not very much at all, I could barely hear it with radio playing at "medium" levels, and when turned off it was slightly noticeable. However, I was really hyper-focused and paying close attention. So what I mean is, it was noticeable at first, and if I really listened for it, I could hear it. Now that I've driven it a little, I don't notice it at all, and so for me, zero issue. YMMV. I just say it this way because anyone that said they couldn't hear the tires at all, well need their hearing checked Stock OEM Pirellis are car-quiet.
  3. The Ride
    1. Handling - With the stock Pirellis on, this truck drives like a sporty SUV. Not much body roll , even at speed on highway and in curves/corners. It doesn't plow into cornering at speed, surprisingly responsive steering. With the Toyos installed, there is a slight softening to the handling, so little I hate to mention it, but it the difference is there. Still MUCH better than my previous F150 XLT with FX4 package with the stock Hancooks, but I would say about 5% less solid when it comes to body roll feel that the stock Pirellis. Like I said, much better than my previous truck, and really barely noticeable.
    2. Comfort - I know that LT tires are supposed to be a slight rougher or harder ride, but frankly they seem to ride exactly the same as the OEM Pirellis. Again, in curves and swerving a tad slushier, but over bumps and on roads and highways, about the same - pretty amazing. Assuming that has to do with the air ride suspension (I had bagged and modded cars in the past, gimme bags or gimme death )
      1. Ride height - I will say that at 2/5 height, the ride is almost identical in comfort smoothness to the OEM tires, and the affect on curves and swerving is noticeably the least. 3/5 is super close, so it works well riding in 3/5 then letting it drop down to 2/5 for the higher speed stuff. 4/5 and 5/5 is where the ride is noticeably springier and less steady than stock tires - the higher the worse. I don't drive pavement in these two modes anyways, so not an issue. Just sharing an insight.
  4. Traction - No scientific method here. Basically, I punched it a few times, both turning from a stop and going straight and the tire broke loose a little. Granted they are new tires so it's probably equivalent. It did rain and snow in the past couple of weeks and I will say the traction seems better in the wet (un-scientific moguls on deserted street) and then snow stuff. Overall feels more grippy than OEM all seasons - which they should.
  5. Power/performance - Off the line, it feels a little sluggish, like the rotating mass is affecting take-off. at speed, say 30 MPH, butt dyno doesn't feel any difference, but at a stop light, or at highway speeds, it's noticeable if slight. It's actually not as bad as I expected from reading online reviews though, so pretty happy here.
  6. Looks - for my taste, I think they're fantastic - I had the "cool side" mounted to show. They actually look quite a bit different - and much better - in person. Photos don't seem to capture the essence of how these tires look. All the pics I saw of this tire brand and size looked just good. But in person, they look great.
  7. Made in USA. If that's important to you, now you know.

Summary - I think if you want a truck that drives and performs like a station wagon or sporty SUV, stock tires are actually pretty great for that. But if you want that, plus some off-roading and much better looks, totally a good choice going with these Toyos. If you really want true off-road capability and the look of a beefy off-road wheel & tire setup though, might want to consider dropping to a 20" or even 18" wheel size. For me, I really love the look of these 22 inch wheels wrapped in an LT tire that's "just under" 35x12.50. Yes, no regrets and I'd definitely do it again. But, as always, YMMV.

Hope this helps someone.

Before/After

20230129 Tire Comparison truck front.jpg20230129 Tire Comparison truck angle.jpg20230129 Tire Comparison truck side.jpg20230129 Tire Comparison Tires side by side.jpg2024-01-26 14.31.40.jpg2024-01-26 13.59.35.jpg2024-01-26 13.52.52.jpg2024-01-26 13.52.18.jpg2024-01-26 13.57.59.jpg

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks nice with new tires. Pirelli look horrible on truck in my view, unless it's lowered.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Posted this somewhere else, figure it might help folks here that are looking for bigger tires.

I just picked up my 2023 Limited RED Edition a couple weeks ago. Mine had the OEM spec Pirelli Verde A/S in 285/45R22 M+S (no really, it's marked M+S lol) with no off-road group and 3.21 rear end.

I have spent way too many hours researching and trying to decide on tires. I wanted a tire that was rated to perform in the winter, snow and ice (3PMS), performed better in light to medium off-roading but really did better than the rest on long highway drives. Finally chose to keep the OEM stock 22x9 black Y-spoke wheels. I really like the y-spoke design, I have to admit! Replaced the Pirelli Verde A/S 285/45 R22 with Toyo Open Country AT/3 LT 295/55 R22 = 34.8" x 12.2" @ 62 lbs each. Wanted LT vs Floaters for several reasons. I don't do serious off-roading or rock climbing, prefer the lighter tire weight (73lbs for 35/12.50 vs 62 lbs for the LT295s), the heavier load range for future towing and the speed rating. Again, I only do light off-roading, snow driving and gravel stuff - mostly city and highway with 3-4 2k highway trips (family at holidays) per year. Originally was looking more for a 33 x 12.5 but was worried about the specs, and that unsprung weight. OK how they look was a consideration as well

My comments regarding this setup.

1. Fit - First question I'm sure is "Do they fit?" Answer - No rubbing in Normal through OR2 drive modes (2/5 thru 5/5). I installed Husky brand mud flaps, and unfortunately they do rub on the driver's side mud flap at 2/5 and 3/5 (Aero and Normal) ride height only when turning left 80%ish (not full lock, nor in any other ride height). I installed Revel level kit (front only) and took a heat gun to the one mud flap and basically worked down the spot where it protrudes into the wheel well and "kisses" the tire at partial left turn. See pick with the blue arrow, that little 1/2" section is the only rub with flaps on.
  2. Noise - Next question "Are they loud?" I did not use a sound meter, so this is somewhat subjective. I noticed a roughly 5% add in road noise. Not very much at all, I could barely hear it with radio playing at "medium" levels, and when turned off it was slightly noticeable. However, I was really hyper-focused and paying close attention. So what I mean is, it was noticeable at first, and if I really listened for it, I could hear it. Now that I've driven it a little, I don't notice it at all, and so for me, zero issue. YMMV. I just say it this way because anyone that said they couldn't hear the tires at all, well need their hearing checked Stock OEM Pirellis are car-quiet.
  3. The Ride
    1. Handling - With the stock Pirellis on, this truck drives like a sporty SUV. Not much body roll , even at speed on highway and in curves/corners. It doesn't plow into cornering at speed, surprisingly responsive steering. With the Toyos installed, there is a slight softening to the handling, so little I hate to mention it, but it the difference is there. Still MUCH better than my previous F150 XLT with FX4 package with the stock Hancooks, but I would say about 5% less solid when it comes to body roll feel that the stock Pirellis. Like I said, much better than my previous truck, and really barely noticeable.
    2. Comfort - I know that LT tires are supposed to be a slight rougher or harder ride, but frankly they seem to ride exactly the same as the OEM Pirellis. Again, in curves and swerving a tad slushier, but over bumps and on roads and highways, about the same - pretty amazing. Assuming that has to do with the air ride suspension (I had bagged and modded cars in the past, gimme bags or gimme death )
      1. Ride height - I will say that at 2/5 height, the ride is almost identical in comfort smoothness to the OEM tires, and the affect on curves and swerving is noticeably the least. 3/5 is super close, so it works well riding in 3/5 then letting it drop down to 2/5 for the higher speed stuff. 4/5 and 5/5 is where the ride is noticeably springier and less steady than stock tires - the higher the worse. I don't drive pavement in these two modes anyways, so not an issue. Just sharing an insight.
  4. Traction - No scientific method here. Basically, I punched it a few times, both turning from a stop and going straight and the tire broke loose a little. Granted they are new tires so it's probably equivalent. It did rain and snow in the past couple of weeks and I will say the traction seems better in the wet (un-scientific moguls on deserted street) and then snow stuff. Overall feels more grippy than OEM all seasons - which they should.
  5. Power/performance - Off the line, it feels a little sluggish, like the rotating mass is affecting take-off. at speed, say 30 MPH, butt dyno doesn't feel any difference, but at a stop light, or at highway speeds, it's noticeable if slight. It's actually not as bad as I expected from reading online reviews though, so pretty happy here.
  6. Looks - for my taste, I think they're fantastic - I had the "cool side" mounted to show. They actually look quite a bit different - and much better - in person. Photos don't seem to capture the essence of how these tires look. All the pics I saw of this tire brand and size looked just good. But in person, they look great.
  7. Made in USA. If that's important to you, now you know.

Summary - I think if you want a truck that drives and performs like a station wagon or sporty SUV, stock tires are actually pretty great for that. But if you want that, plus some off-roading and much better looks, totally a good choice going with these Toyos. If you really want true off-road capability and the look of a beefy off-road wheel & tire setup though, might want to consider dropping to a 20" or even 18" wheel size. For me, I really love the look of these 22 inch wheels wrapped in an LT tire that's "just under" 35x12.50. Yes, no regrets and I'd definitely do it again. But, as always, YMMV.

Hope this helps someone.

Before/After

View attachment 537044View attachment 537045View attachment 537046View attachment 537047View attachment 537048View attachment 537049View attachment 537050View attachment 537051View attachment 537052
Truck looks great...thanks for sharing the info.

I went with the same brand tires and size...funny thing is they are slightly taller than the 35X12.5R22 Toyo A/T IIIs which actually has an OD of 34.5 vs the 34.8 you get with the LT295/55/R22...per the specs on Tire Rack.

OP
OP
jokingjimmy

jokingjimmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Looks nice with new tires. Pirelli look horrible on truck in my view, unless it's lowered.
Yah, I completely agree. Getting tires was a little tight but I just couldn't do the Pirellis. They drove pretty great, but walking up to and walking away from the truck, just didn't feel right lol.

Truck looks great...thanks for sharing the info.

I went with the same brand tires and size...funny thing is they are slightly taller than the 35X12.5R22 Toyo A/T IIIs which actually has an OD of 34.5 vs the 34.8 you get with the LT295/55/R22...per the specs on Tire Rack.

Yep! I triple checked on Toyo website - was kinda surprised actually. But for what I do, I don't need floaters and these gave me enough sidewall (those 22's are ginormous!). Plus, finagling about 30% off when I bought them helped lol.

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that looks great! I giant difference in the stance of the truck. Looks like a truck should look now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up and all. MY 19 is just stock but did want the better tire for conditions and field driving like getting hay do for me stock size 18” AT3W snow rated Falkens work for me. If u want pics Cannot post till get on my PC and not phone lmao.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that close. Looks great though. Huge fan of Toyo tires so much so, that’s all I buy. Biggest issue is weight. They are all heavy. Why it feels a little sluggish. The at2 were some of the best. Have not tried the 3 but appears the quality continues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat