Installed brake controller p3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I installed my brake controller the other day and the first think I noticed is that it doesn't turn off when I shut the truck off. Is this going to be a problem? I am leaving my truck sit for a few days to a week and don't want the battery to go dead

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mean the whole display is lit? On my P2 version, it stays on for about 10-15 minutes after the truck is turned off then it times out.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I didn't leave it sit that long. The display stays on that says press any key. Then flashes no trailer or brake.

Ram-NB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It should only come on when you plug your trailer into the harness.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Nope on all the time..guess I should be more decriptive as I was half asleep last night when I posted this.

I bought the factory adapter harness from the P3 to my truck, plugged in the harness then the P3. came on instantly, truck was not running. I started the truck then shut it off. let it sit for maybe 5 minutes, still on. I then unplugged it so I can get the bracket and stuff fitted to install it. I didn't leave it sit for no more then 5 minutes plugged in.

Guess I am going to have to leave it for 15 to 20 min to see if it shuts off. it also flashes no trailer connected which is right as i don't have anything connected yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
thanks guys for the assistance

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the 7 pin connector at the back of the truck and make sure it's clean and dry. On my last truck, my brake controller would think a trailer was connected whenever salty water would get in the connector in the winter time.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Check the 7 pin connector at the back of the truck and make sure it's clean and dry. On my last truck, my brake controller would think a trailer was connected whenever salty water would get in the connector in the winter time.

oh that could be my problem...i'll have to check and make sure its clean

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My P2 stays on for a period of time after turning the truck off. Dont have it in this truck yet.

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed my Primus IQ today and have a similar result. I think the underlying issue is that the feed to the factory brake control connector is live all the time instead of being switched through the ignition switch. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. My display confirms the trailer is not connected then times out but it always gives an indication that the unit is powered up.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
After finishing the install I realized that the controller will power off after like 15 or 20 minutes