Need advice on set up for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello all, I've been reading on yhis forum for a couple months now and finally decided to register. i have not got a profile set up yet,but will do so soon. What I have is a 2012 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman,4x4,quad cab with a Hemi,automatic and 3.92 gears. I have already added a few things such as a leveling kit,rear air bags,magnaflow y pipe and muffler and a vararam air intake. Im considering adding a Moes 85mm tb and a bullydog tuner but am wondering if these will help? My main worry is the tranny as this truck is used for towing about 7000 pounds in the mountain passes in colo and wyoming. sorry to be so long winded and thank you.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those mods sound well planned and should net you some good gains in conjunction with your existing mods.
I would contact Matt at Moe's directly, and get his input on the 85 vs. 87mm TB and which would work best for you. Except for headers you'll be fully bolted and may be able to take advantage of the benefits of the 87mm.
Nice mod list, and welcome aboard! (now let's see some pics!)

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything you did sounds like it ought to be done. Especially for the mountains. Post pics of your rig sometime.

OP
OP
T

Tilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you. I'll try to get a couple of pics here soon. I have talked to Matt a couple of times and have ordered the parts I have already from him and will continue to do so. Just curious which tuner is better for towing, the bullydog or diablosport and if they have any effect on the tranny.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Sounds very Capable for sure with Air bags to keep the ass leveled. Tuner, Yep, Headers, Yep, Yep and TB, why Not. and x 2 on the Welcome. I can't wait to Hook-up to my New Trailer and go on the first Camp Trip with Her! Pics of the Truck?

For Tuner Choice I will leave that to the 2012 Gurus!

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'd put a LARGE trans cooler on it. If there's one on it, I'd look at upsizing it. Keep that trans COOL!!!! Change out the fluid for a synthetic based fluid if it isn't from the factory. I know GM uses DEX IV which is AWESOME, but not sure what Mopar has.

Replace gear and transfer case lube with a TRUE synthetic like Amsoil, or Redline to help keep the gear protected and cool.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The main thing I would look at would be getting a different torque converter.
I'm sure someone makes one geared towards towing. That made the single biggest difference on my Dad's truck. It also help keep your fluid cooler because it's not functioning as a giant heat pump near as much.

mile_high

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm from Colorado and have pulled my trailer twice (still new and winter here). I have all the mods you listed plus a lift. The lack of air made towing difficult so I'd suggest the 87MM and long tubes as well. Anything to help the engine breathe is a good mod at altitude. I bet the converter would help too.

FYI - my last truck was a Dmax so my towing expectations are fairly high

OP
OP
T

Tilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks everyone .i never thought about a converter but will look into it. Maybe it would be best to go with the 87mm tb like mile high suggested. Probably one of the more extreme situation would be Vail pass in Colorado which is about 11,000 ft in elevation if I remember right. Just hoping the mods I have along with a tb and tuner will make a difference. Next maybe I should look into any kind of tranny mods. Thanks all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990