Towing with 4" Lift and 35" tires question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the time has finally come for me to move my great grandfathers '29 model A to a shop for some restoration work. Before buying my Ram I had a beat up Ford f150 I inherited so I never worried about it breaking down. Now that I have my Ram I'm more worried since I don't want anything to happen to the truck. I have a 4" lift, 35" tires, with a 5.7. 3.21 gears and 8 speed. (I'm sure there is going to be some bashing over the 3.21...but with the 8speed I do not have any noticeable decrease in power and still can floor it and easily pass people on the highway)

My question is...should I be worried about towing the Model A the 90 miles to the shop? I know if the truck was stock it would be no problem, however with the lift and tires I want to be sure it won't be an issue. The model A should weigh 2,265 pounds and will be on a UHaul car trailer. I know this is roughly 1/5 of the max towing capacity, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

I'm hoping some other people with lifts and 35" tires could weigh in and let me know if this is doable or I should rent a truck. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll be fine. We used to tow a 21' ranger bass boat with my dads 1500 that had the same setup as you on a weekly basis

That's what I figured. I just get nervous about stuff happening since once you add a lift, all the warranty stuff makes it a headache to get stuff fixed. I fully expect it to get horrible MPG's, but that's fine as long as it doesn't mess up any of the powertrain/drivetrain stuff.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gears are probably 3.21 and you will be fine towing.
Jay

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just use tow/haul mode and you'll be fine. May not see above 6th gear depending on the terrain but you'll be fine.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Yup, as the other guys have said I wouldn't even think twice about it. You're so far under max towing weight that it won't be an issue at all.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! Looks like "Great Grandpappy's Revenge" will be getting started without being towed behind an ugly uhaul rental truck. It's getting turned into a rat rod so should look pretty cool being towed by the Ram when it's done.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
So the time has finally come for me to move my great grandfathers '29 model A to a shop for some restoration work. Before buying my Ram I had a beat up Ford f150 I inherited so I never worried about it breaking down. Now that I have my Ram I'm more worried since I don't want anything to happen to the truck. I have a 4" lift, 35" tires, with a 5.7. 3.21 gears and 8 speed. (I'm sure there is going to be some bashing over the 3.21...but with the 8speed I do not have any noticeable decrease in power and still can floor it and easily pass people on the highway)

My question is...should I be worried about towing the Model A the 90 miles to the shop? I know if the truck was stock it would be no problem, however with the lift and tires I want to be sure it won't be an issue. The model A should weigh 2,265 pounds and will be on a UHaul car trailer. I know this is roughly 1/5 of the max towing capacity, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

I'm hoping some other people with lifts and 35" tires could weigh in and let me know if this is doable or I should rent a truck. Thanks!

you wont have anything to worry about, you're truck will do fine...

it isn't going to be the most efficient way and surely wont be the most fun way but it will do it and not give you too much of a fit. If you find yourself towing like this more often i would surely look into something better as a tow vehicle. as you mentioned the 3.21 gears suck for towing right off the bat, but then adding the 35" tires drops that ratio even more...

long story short, a time or two of towing like this, nothing to worry about...

robbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow this a few hundred miles a couple times a year with no issues.
IMG_0304_zpsh4jhunib.jpg

About 6500 pounds loaded Zone 6" lift with air bags.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow this a few hundred miles a couple times a year with no issues.
IMG_0304_zpsh4jhunib.jpg

About 6500 pounds loaded Zone 6" lift with air bags.

Do you have the 8 speed and 3.21 gears?