Towing with new 35's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
So my hunting partner just found out our plans have changed for the upcoming Kentucky turkey hunt we had planned. We may need to haul his camper down to have a place to stay. I just installed 35's a few weeks ago and was wondering if 35's with my 3.55 gears reduces the amount of weight I can safely tow? I don't want to burn the tranny up dragging too much weight around.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
from a technical stand point, yes. i cant find it on chryslers new tow specs, but on my older truck, they used to have two different tow ratings is your truck was equipped with the factory 17's or the factory 20's. two otherwise identical trucks with different size wheels/tires had a 1000 lb difference in tow capacity. similar theory applies when going to 35's.

from a legal stand point, they arent going to pay attention to what size tires you have, they are going to go based off what your truck weighs vs what the max capacity it is rated for, so whatever the added weight is with the new tires is what you lost.

with that said, i probably wouldnt worry about it unless your talking about a camper thats already outside the limits of your truck.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Appreciate the input, thank you.

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What is the weight of camper?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I haven't a clue. My partner pulls it with his F150 all the time so I figure the Ram shouldn't have an issue, just wasn't sure about the larger tires and crappy 3.55's.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
from a technical stand point, yes. i cant find it on chryslers new tow specs, but on my older truck, they used to have two different tow ratings is your truck was equipped with the factory 17's or the factory 20's. two otherwise identical trucks with different size wheels/tires had a 1000 lb difference in tow capacity. similar theory applies when going to 35's.

from a legal stand point, they arent going to pay attention to what size tires you have, they are going to go based off what your truck weighs vs what the max capacity it is rated for, so whatever the added weight is with the new tires is what you lost.

with that said, i probably wouldnt worry about it unless your talking about a camper thats already outside the limits of your truck.

That is because the tires they put on 20's that dont have the weight capacity of the tires that can be had on 17's. At least back a few years ago. The weight capacity of the 20" rims also wasn't as high as the 17's.

In theory yes because you lowered (numerically) your gear ratio you lowered your towing capacity. You need to find out how much the camper weighs, that is the only true way of figuring it out.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is because the tires they put on 20's that dont have the weight capacity of the tires that can be had on 17's. At least back a few years ago. The weight capacity of the 20" rims also wasn't as high as the 17's.

not true. both tires had the same weight rating. the tires on the 20's actually have a slightly higher max capacity. the difference comes from the increased rotational mass due to the heavier wheel/tire combo and increased diameter.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
not true. both tires had the same weight rating. the tires on the 20's actually have a slightly higher max capacity. the difference comes from the increased rotational mass due to the heavier wheel/tire combo and increased diameter.

^^This, the 20" wheel/tire combo was a little over 1.5" taller than the 17" wheel/tire combo.