Towing with 3.6L 3.21 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vanlecktor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my Ram 1500 3.6L 2wd is tow rated at about 4,960 lbs with 3.21 gears. The same truck with 3.55 gears is rated at 7,100 lbs. The additional 2,100 lb capacity with a jump to the 3.55 gears sure seems like a lot to me. Here's my concern: I am going to tow a HiLo camper trailer that weighs 5,500 lbs. So I'm going to be 540 lbs over weight for my truck rating. I'm actually only going to be towing at 60 mph on flat ground Interstate through New Mexico, Oklahoma and into Missouri on I-44. I have no intention of going into the mountains with this truck and trailer. I figured I would use the tow/haul mode when needed.
I'm not interested in the process of switching to 3.55 gears and reflashing the computer for what little towing I will be doing on flat ground. Can someone with accurate knowledge inform me as to whether there is any safety concern or drive train damage concern in exceeding my trucks rated towing capacity by over 500 lbs ?
As is usually the case the service writers at the dealers really have no idea and all they do is look up the same tow ratings I can easily look up.

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Intentions or not, to pull a trailer of any weight with your 3.6L with 3.21 is going to be a considerable strain on the transmission, use "TOW MODE" at all times pulling anything.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I doubt you will be exceeding by only 500lbs. That hasn’t counted any people/gear in the cab or bed, or the hitch. Also, is that a dry weight or loaded weight of the camper? If dry, that doesn’t account for batteries, propane, clothes, food, camp chairs, bedding, dishes, etc, etc, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The (in)famous SAE J2807 "Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating" has a number of requirements for grade climbing performance, including 5 repeated starts on a 12% grade both forwards and backwards. Interstates have a maximum grade of 6% in the mountains, less in the flats, so careful route choice can avoid pushing the limits.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Use tow/haul the whole trip rather than just as needed- your transmission will thank you.

Other than that, just be prepared to feel sorry for your engine, but you're likely not going to do any real harm if you don't run it like a jack ass.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would also change out your rearend gear oil to a top notch oil - I use Redline gear oil, it has survived in situations that other gear lubes failed for me.

It is really easy to change also, there is a drain and fill plug on the rearend, just drain, reinstall drain plug and fill.

I would do it every 2-3 years if you tow yearly. It is easy enough to do and inexpensive also.

Accelerate slowly from a stop and you should be ok.

Being a HiLo will really help as you won't have the aero drag of a normal trailer even with the weight.

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the load and speed rating of your trailer tires. I suspect at 60 you will be fine but I believe some OEM trailer tires have a speed rating of 55 MPH.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You should be alright. Perform all of the extreme duty maintenance. I did a lot with my Dakota years back & it only had the 3.9 Magnum engine. I feel this 3.6 Pentastar has much more power/torque over that old v6. Just take it easy as you were already planning on doing.

OP
OP
V

Vanlecktor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sure appreciate all the feed back. I am going to take the one guy's advice and switch to the Redline gear lube before I take off. The weight of the Hi-Lo is 5,500 lbs. and it will be empty with no possessions or full propane tanks. My pick up will also be mostly empty with just a floor jack and my tool kit. The 3.6L in my truck puts out 300hp and it tows better than my old Silverado with a 5.7 T.B. My other Hi-Lo weighs in at 4,000 lbs empty and I pull that thing everywhere and knock down 19/20 MPG. (at about 60mph) Hi-Lo's tow much better than standard travel trailers. There is about 30% less drag pulling a Hi-Lo so that is in my favor for drivetrain strain.
My main concern was the electronic 8 speed transmission. I don't want damage that thing for sure ! Will use the tow mode all the way !