New Owner with a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
So for quite some time, I have owned a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer with a 5.0 V8 and almost 150K miles. I mainly used it to tow a little pop up camper, maybe around 1800lbs, which it did perfect.
I used a Scangauge II on it to monitor critical temps, my trans was always around 160 with the factory cooler, and my water temp was always around 190 no matter what.
My son needed a second car, so I gave him my trusty explorer, and took on a project of a seized up 2004 Ram quad cab. The truck has 129K. I bought a used engine from a 90K mile 2006 Durango, the engine install went fairly well and the truck is back on the road and running. The first week driving it around I noticed it was running a bit warm, not overheating just warm. I put the scanguage in it, and was seeing 220-225 temps. Then I noticed the middle of the radiator wasn't getting hot, so now I got a good idea what happened to the old engine. Put a new radiator in it, and a new stock temp thermostat just to be on the safe side.
Truck now runs 202-207 and the gauge stays just a tick to the cool side of center. I guess this is ok, a little hotter than my explorer ran, but I figure it is an operationally hotter running engine.
So today I am going to change the transmission fluid and filter, it isn't burnt looking but it is more tan than red. In preparing for this, I am having a good look at the stock transmission cooler, which looks to be the same width as the radiator, but about 7 inches or so tall...
Is this cooler adequate to tow that little pop up around the country? I might get into hilly areas.
Oddly enough the scangauge doesn't seem to be able to use x-codes to pull the transmission temp from the ECU, And it feels weird not being able to monitor my trans temp while operating the truck.
So my questions are...is 202-206 normal for this engine (4.7)
Is the stock transmission cooler adequate for light to medium duty towing?
And has anybody gotten x-codes to work for transmission temp on a 3rd gen RAM?

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Engine temp sounds normal - wouldn't worry about it.

Stock trans cooler is adequate, but going bigger is definitely not a bad thing.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you want you can but in the factory HD cooler its bolt in and FYI the Hemi is a good swap for your next engine swap if you keep the truck long term

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Engine temp sounds normal - wouldn't worry about it.

Stock trans cooler is adequate, but going bigger is definitely not a bad thing.

X2. Those temps are normal.

Any tow vehicle will benefit from additional trans cooling, however, you will have no problem towing the camper you have with the stock cooler.

X-Codes may not be compatible with the Ram code language.