Couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello friends,
First I noticed one of the bolts holding the tranny cooler or whatever it is has fallen out. Anyone know the size? Saves me removing one to match it up. Also i have slight weepage from pinion seal, no drops but it looks to weep a bit. Ok just to keep eye on it? Or should i fix it ASAP? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the differential vent to see if it’s clogged. Has the diff fluid been changed recently? Fluid contamination?

Put it on a to-do list and some money aside unless there’s water in the fluid, then do it now.
Yes i drained and filled diff with RP 75w140 a month ago. Was at 65k and old stuff was discoloured but not full of crud. I will check vent. Thanks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the vent isn't clogged, you could keep an eye on it. Esp if it's just a DD. As rusty as your driveshaft looks, there's probably corrosion or minor pits on the rear yoke that has worked under the seal, where a small amount seeps past between minor corrosion. Its not uncommon. If you do long drives or planning any towing, then I'd get it fixed. Esp now that the weather is still nice. It's not going to get any better. And you'd sure hate to deal with it in Jan. A guy probably needs to sand down the yoke a bit. I always use factory seals when it comes to pinion or axle seals. They're usually a lot better.

But yeah, check the breather vent first.. if it gets clogged, the rear diff heats up when ya drive, as per normal, and the increased air pressure (due to the vent being plugged) forces air/lube out somewhere ...axle seals or pinion. My guess is it would be a lot worse if it were a clogged vent. Are the inside tires oily?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redfisher1974

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the vent isn't clogged, you could keep an eye on it. Esp if it's just a DD. As rusty as your driveshaft looks, there's probably corrosion or minor pits on the rear yoke that has worked under the seal, where a small amount seeps past between minor corrosion. Its not uncommon. If you do long drives or planning any towing, then I'd get it fixed. Esp now that the weather is still nice. It's not going to get any better. And you'd sure hate to deal with it in Jan. A guy probably needs to sand down the yoke a bit. I always use factory seals when it comes to pinion or axle seals. They're usually a lot better.

But yeah, check the breather vent first.. if it gets clogged, the rear diff heats up when ya drive, as per normal, and the increased air pressure (due to the vent being plugged) forces air/lube out somewhere ...axle seals or pinion. My guess is it would be a lot worse if it were a clogged vent. Are the inside tires oily?
Thanks dude, I checked vent its good. I just rotated tires the other day and no oil on rims etc. i also don’t tow and the trucks pretty much just a DD. I think like said above keep eye on it and write it on to do list..