Towing a 12500lb 5th wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some advice. I have a 2003 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab short bed hemi 5.7 with the 4:10 rear axel. It also has a the tow brake installed. The specs say it can tow 10,800 lbs. I just bought a 5th wheel that weighs 12,500 lbs. I will tow it about 90 miles twice a year. The hitch weight is 2050 lbs. I know I am over wieght, but I need to know if someone has done this and if it is possible. The truck has the tow package. Other manufacturers give a fifth wheel capcity and a travel trailer capicity. Dodge does not do this.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just remember that 12,500lbs is probably unloaded weight. By the time you put gear, water and people in there you're gonna be over even more. Even with a 2500 and 4.10's that may be pushing it.

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reply. I am sure it is going to be pushing it. For the fews times that I tow it, I am trying not to have to buy another truck. It runs great and has no problems. I only drive teh truck about 2500 miles a year, and having a hard time investing in a ontother if i can take it slow and easy and make it work.

wiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1995
Engine
hemi 5.7, 5.2 318
How much is the trailer going to weigh loaded?

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to try to empty most stuff out of it before i tow it. At most I would say 13000 lbs. But i can strip it bare if I need to.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You're trying that with a Hemi: you're going to have a bear of a time and probably get stopped by highway patrol.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you have a lot of miles on the truck you would be putting the motor and transmission at risk. If it were me I'd be looking at trading it in for a used diesel.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or trading the 5th wheel in on something lighter. They make 30' 5er's in the 5-6k lb. range now. That's what I've been looking at.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure you'll be able to pull it. Especially if you're in flatland areas.

Biggest issue would be DOT / Highway patrol nailing you.
And lord, if you get in a wreck over weight. You've got a hefty liability coming your way!

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been towing a 36'6" 11000lb fifth wheel with it now and have had no issues. The truck currently has 125000 miles on it. Not sure if that's a lot or not. Most 2500's in my area have well over 200000 on them

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
When you say strip the weight out of it before you tow, you don't just mean taking it out of the trailer and putting it in the truck do you?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. I ematn taking everything out besides the sheets. It is my understanding that the transmision and the brakesa re the same as the 3500. I also have an electronic brake control for the trailer brakes. My main concern is if the engine can handle that weight. My first impression is it can. Just want some confirmation.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you're only doing 90 miles twice a year you'll probably be ok. I would just take it nice and easy. If you start to travel more than it's time to upgrade.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW

I'm a truck driver by trade. I've driven quite a bit.
talking about haulin tankers of bulk cement or flat beds with packaged cement running at 79.5K#

I bought a 34' 6,900# TT the other week.

The HEMI did "ok" with it. (2006 QC 1500)
I feel I'm really getting "close" to my tow limit both suspension wise and power train ability.

You're talking about towing like, TWICE my amount. With a 2500.

I'm not being mean to you here, but you said "I just need confirmation".
To me? It sounds like you already have your mind made up and maybe even have your doubts about the mechanics, safety, liability aspect.

Well, I cannot "confirm" anything for ya to set your mind at ease.
I want to say "IMO" you're over weight but it's not just my opinion.
I believe you are legally over weight too. God forbid, I'm NOT an "over weight" police forum member.

Not sure if you're family (wife/kids) are with you on these trips but I'm sure other people will be in your AO with their families. I can't help but think about how I'd feel if someone against common advice or dead set in their way, would hurt or kill my family on the road.

What would you do ?

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

When it's too late, it's TOO LATE.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to ya but I am being blunt.

Last edited:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
FWIW

I'm a truck driver by trade. I've driven quite a bit.
talking about haulin tankers of bulk cement or flat beds with packaged cement running at 79.5K#

I bought a 34' 6,900# TT the other week.

The HEMI did "ok" with it. (2006 QC 1500)
I feel I'm really getting "close" to my tow limit both suspension wise and power train ability.

You're talking about towing like, TWICE my amount. With a 2500.

I'm not being mean to you here, but you said "I just need confirmation".
To me? It sounds like you already have your mind made up and maybe even have your doubts about the mechanics, safety, liability aspect.

Well, I cannot "confirm" anything for ya to set your mind at ease.
I want to say "IMO" you're over weight but it's not just my opinion.
I believe you are legally over weight too. God forbid, I'm NOT an "over weight" police forum member.

Not sure if you're family (wife/kids) are with you on these trips but I'm sure other people will be in your AO with their families. I can't help but think about how I'd feel if someone against common advice or dead set in their way, would hurt or kill my family on the road.

What would you do ?

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.

When it's too late, it's TOO LATE.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to ya but I am being blunt.

Sometimes blunt is the way to go. I cannot agree more with your assessment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007