Tow Hitch Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronnyboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So my 97 1500 only has the famous bumper mount and currently has the wiring and ball mount on it. I plan on taking some camping trips and hauling some bigger trailers this fall. What do you guys recommend for a frame mounted hitch? I was looking at all different brands and I have no idea where to start...

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You will need to know what the tongue weigh and loaded weight of the trailer. However, most trailers your truck can tow will fall into the Class III receiver hitch category. A Class IV is a nice upgrade and gives you some over - spec'd capacity if needed.

That's a great website ^^^^ posted above. Here's one that explains the different classes and capacities:

hitchesonline

OP
OP
R

Ronnyboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks for the links guys! Will definetly hitting up the class IV one soon! Will I be needing the one for the deep drop bumper?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've pulled a 24' trailer loaded with a Cobra Replica with a class three. Class four isn't necessary unless pulling a small dozer or something! lol ;)

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

alanack6795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L6
I run the Curt class V 2400/16000 hitch on my diesel. Fits perfect and was less than $200 shipped .

Looks like the price went up.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4362978&cc=1095904&jnid=478&jpid=6

In my gas half ton truck I run the factory tow package hitch that is rated for 7,000.

It's rated for 10k with a WD hitch, if you pull over 7k without the WD hitch it will break, I broke the factory hitch on my diesel a long time ago

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
get the highest class that'll fit,brand is irrelevant.no point in having "good enough". when it comes to towing,no such thing as overkill.even my front bottom hitch is a class 5. the top one is rated for 9k line pull,but i've surpassed that once or twice.