Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum > Engine and Performance

Engine and Performance

Bully Dog GT Tuner

This is a discussion on Bully Dog GT Tuner within the Engine and Performance forums, part of the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum category!
Well I bought a Billy Dog GT 40420 tuner for a pretty good price but I can't get it to ...

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: Cody

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Default Bully Dog GT Tuner
Well I bought a Billy Dog GT 40420 tuner for a pretty good price but I can't get it to install
I updated it and tried to install it but it won't connect with the truck

Does anyone here have experience with these?
In the show settings menu it's shows the most the current hardware and current software, what vehicle it's set for, that the tuber isn't installed
It also say Registration: In Progress which has me wondering if that's part of the problem

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
Stangshcky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Preferred Vendor

Ram Year: 2011 Ram 1500
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
I ran a triple dog on my 07, and it locked up on me once. We installed it on a friends truck for him to try, but he didnt completely remove it before I installed it back on my truck. I ended up having to call BD, but they walked me through how to reset my computer to make it work. If you dont get it figured out my Monday, then I would give them a call.

Hemi450hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I've only heard good things about there customer support

Hopefully I can try it on a friend of mine's powerstroke here at school in te next few days to figure out if it's the truck or the tuner or I'll have to wait till I go home next week to try it on someone elses truck

New Here? Introduce yourself here - Click here to become a Supporting Member - Check out our Preferred Vendors!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Brandon

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 4.7
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
Well I bought a Billy Dog GT 40420 tuner for a pretty good price but I can't get it to install
I updated it and tried to install it but it won't connect with the truck

Does anyone here have experience with these?
In the show settings menu it's shows the most the current hardware and current software, what vehicle it's set for, that the tuber isn't installed
It also say Registration: In Progress which has me wondering if that's part of the problem
I may can help you out. I install these pretty regular at work.

What exactly does it say after you choose "install download"

I do know if the truck has a tune in it from another tuner already the bullydog will not download. The bullydog has to see stock files in order to continue. Also there is a possibility your truck needs an ECU update. Most of the time this is the case. Let me know what it's telling you or what it's doing and ill see what info I can give you.

Mcgaughy's 2/4.5 drop kit, 72MM F&B TB, Nitto 420s rubber, APM ram air hood, APM ram air intake, Gibson SS ceramic shorty headers, no cats, custom y pipe, magnaflow miffler, 4.56 gears, Diablo Sport Trinity hemifever tune

Last edited by badblackram06; 11-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.
badblackram06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Super Moderator

When itry to install the download it has me ok the vehicle then agree to terms
Then it has me shut the key off, it does through writing the tune I think, then it says to turn the key to run
This is where it gets stuck
I run the key to run and hit continue and it doesn't go anywhere from there

When I start the truck with the tuner turned on it doesn't read any of the gauges an the initializing communication block never goes away

Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

So it reads the stock engine files? Or is that where it gets stuck?

After you agree to the terms and confirm the vehicle is should start reading the stock files.

I have had a few dodges take forever to get started reading the engine. How long did you wait before stopping it?

The gauges probably don't read because the tuner is connected to the computer.

Mcgaughy's 2/4.5 drop kit, 72MM F&B TB, Nitto 420s rubber, APM ram air hood, APM ram air intake, Gibson SS ceramic shorty headers, no cats, custom y pipe, magnaflow miffler, 4.56 gears, Diablo Sport Trinity hemifever tune
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I believe it reads the stock files from what your describing, I don't remember exactly what it says
I waited probably 10-15 minute without anything happening, should I try waiting longer?

Not sure I understand what you mean when you say about it still bein connected to the computer.
I was under the impression that you could plug it in without really setting anything up and it would atleast act like a watchdog does

Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I re read what you wrote and I thought you meant gauges in the dash ha. I'm sorry. 10 minutes should have been long enough.

Try hooking up to a battery charger/ voltage maintainer. I have had a tuner get stuck in the middle of a download because the battery voltage dropped.

If that doesn't work the truck's computer may need an update flash to work with the tuners current version.. It's a pita. I have not encountered this exact problem but its very similar and it ended up being that the ECU needed the update from the dealership. I would wait until Monday or Tuesday an call bullydog. Tell them exactly what's going on and they will give you some options to try. I'm sorry I couldn't help any

Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I appreciate you trying to help!
I'm still gonna double check in my buddies truck to make sure it isnt a problem with the obd2

We'll see how it goes I guess!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

No problem bud. Let us know what you find out.