2wd to 4wd conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hall.edward.06.29.1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently picked up a 89 dodge D150 with a 360 in good shape. I would prefer a 4wd truck. I have a couple of questions I am hoping you guys could hello me with.

First question, I have in read several places that the conversion from 2wd to 4wd on gen one rams is feasible and strait forward. Had anyone here done this or seen a good write up on it?

Second question, are the drive train components from a 85 ram charger compatible with my 89? Under normal circumstances I wouldn't bother considering this however there is an add in my local Craigslist for a 4wd 85 ram charger with a 318 and automatic transmission for $400. The body and interior are pretty much non-existent, but if it's possible to use these drive train parts in a conversion I might go check out their condition.

So what's the general consensus amongst the more experienced of y'all.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Unfortunately the 1st gens are well outside most of this board's knowledge. 2nd gens have a small following but it's not very big or active except for a few dedicated individuals. The 1st gens owners are few and far between these days.

OP
OP
H

hall.edward.06.29.1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I was starting to wonder if I stumbled upon a dead forum but it seems I have simply stumbled into it's retirement home

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I have some answers. My cousin totaled my 85 sno commander. I needed a plow truck. I hauled the wreck home to put a new cab on it. Then I looked for a donor truck. Anything that came up was to much for my budget. I found a 2 wheel drive I believe 89. Everyone said it would work. It didn't. The center hump for transfer case was to small. I called and the guy who said "sure it will work" said "oh" "I mean with a manual tranny will". So budget was shot. So I then found a used 4x4 and financed it and added my plow. I went from 3/4 ton to 1/2 and needed one new mount. I also added 1 leaf to springs.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
They ARE fairly easy to convert, BUT... mine came WITH 4WD - I've never HAD to convert a 2WD, and have nothing constructive to add to the effort.

Have the rear driveshaft and yokes off my RC still, if you wanna buy 'em. :happy107: They've been reconditioned, but need new U-joints.

OP
OP
H

hall.edward.06.29.1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I really do appreciate it. At this point I'll leave it 2wd and look for something 4wd already, I have seen several adds for 4wd ram chargers around my area of Texas so their out there to be had.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very offended by that comment![emoji12].
No not really, but I'm not a guy.

OP
OP
H

hall.edward.06.29.1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alas I have offended someone on the internet who I do not know with my mindlessly ignorant compliment, whatever shall I do? I guess my most heartfelt apology will have to suffice. I hope you will accept my most sincere regret ma'am. :)

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there is really no point in converting a 2wd frame to 4x4 unless you got something rare like a crew cab which might be nearly impossible to find a 4x4 frame for. in most cases it is cheaper to just buy a 4x4 truck. you pretty much need a parts truck for all the parts anyway. buying all the parts and pieces separately would definitely cost you more than a whole truck. even if you buy a truck with a rough body you could always swap your cab over. after dropping a 2wd cab on a 4x4 i have learn it is easy and not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. the hump is wider on a 4x4 but i think it was only done for cosmetic reasons. the 4x4 shifter end up in a weird spot in a 2wd cab
20150607_145013.jpg

OP
OP
H

hall.edward.06.29.1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there is really no point in converting a 2wd frame to 4x4 unless you got something rare like a crew cab which might be nearly impossible to find a 4x4 frame for. in most cases it is cheaper to just buy a 4x4 truck. you pretty much need a parts truck for all the parts anyway. buying all the parts and pieces separately would definitely cost you more than a whole truck. even if you buy a truck with a rough body you could always swap your cab over. after dropping a 2wd cab on a 4x4 i have learn it is easy and not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. the hump is wider on a 4x4 but i think it was only done for cosmetic reasons. the 4x4 shifter end up in a weird spot in a 2wd cab
20150607_145013.jpg
The whole reason I even considered it was because there was a potential parts truck (assuming the parts where compatible) I could have had for cheap. It was a 85 ram charger which consisted of the frame, drive train, most of the body panels, a 318 I could have had for $500. A cab swap is not really an option. Also from the pictures it looked like everything was pulled apart already.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you would be better off to sell what you got and just buy a 4x4. it would be way cheaper and easier. you can swap a truck cab onto a ramcharger frame. all depend what you want. the mounts are the same

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you.
But really wasn't offended I'm use to it, online. But the auto parts stores that advertise "the auto parts store for men" I take my business elsewhere. They apparently do not take women's money. So I go where it's good.
As far has the hump- there was a definite need for more room on my truck. It's been years but I think it's where the shifter is located and which side the front drive shaft is on- front pumpkin switched sides not sure what year. Might also have been a difference in 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton too. My next idea was cut out and switch humps but time and money was working against me. So I financed another truck.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the drive shaft changed side on the 94 and newer trucks. not something you need to worry about on the 93 and older trucks. like i said i think the hump is only there for cosmetic reason. i couldn't see a reason for it on my friends 4x4 truck when we stuck a 2wd cab on it. as you can see from the pic i posted you can see the 4x4 shifter came through the floor in a bit of a weird spot but i does give the passenger a bit more foot room.

i have been temped to buy a new truck but can't bring myself to do it. the old stuff is so much more reliable once you got on top of maintenance.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cell phone so pics aren't as clear. Mine that was totaled was an 85 and I thought my dads 75 was opposite but it might have been my 95. To long ago and too many trucks. Glad it worked out for you wish I'd have gotten mine done. The truck was a lemon( long list of stuff that actually dealer serviced caused most of) until I bought my 95. Then nothing except my cousin in 97 ever went wrong with it.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I really do appreciate it. At this point I'll leave it 2wd and look for something 4wd already, I have seen several adds for 4wd ram chargers around my area of Texas so their out there to be had.

The FEW good RC's that are left, are almost ALL in TX. The dry southwest conditions were much more favorable to them, than the northeastern snow, ice, and salt. :(

You may find worn OUT ones there, but if they're native Texans, at leats them WON'T be rusted out (UNLESS people drove 'em on Jamaica Beach and never washed them... :doh2:).

Get the best one you can afford, and build it up from there! :happy107:

I'm very offended by that comment![emoji12].
No not really, but I'm not a guy.

Hey - consider it a PROMOTION! :roflsquared::Boo:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Cell phone so pics aren't as clear. Mine that was totaled was an 85 and I thought my dads 75 was opposite but it might have been my 95. To long ago and too many trucks. Glad it worked out for you wish I'd have gotten mine done. The truck was a lemon( long list of stuff that actually dealer serviced caused most of) until I bought my 95. Then nothing except my cousin in 97 ever went wrong with it.
it took a lot of prep work but in the end we ended up getting the entire swap done in 1 weekend. ran into a few snags but was done by the end of the weekend and the truck was driveable. not perfect but driveable
20150605_132414.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well that is most likely the best/cheapest/easiest solution. sell your truck and buy another or just live with your truck as it is. it is just not really worth converting a 2wd truck to 4x4