88 W150 318 with a budget around 4 thousand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soldier233rd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck just clocked over 100,000. I believe everything is still stock on it that i can tell. With this budget I'm looking to do just the mechanicals, bodywork will come later.

It will be a daily driver that will also tow my fishing boat. Mainly on asphalt and hard pack roads with an occasional outing in the mud and sand. I travel frequently from Virginia to South Carolina so interstate cruising is a must. I am looking for the best of both worlds, more horsepower than the stock LA engine and better gas mileage than I'm getting now only about 10 mpg around town.

Do I stay with the LA engine rebuild it or go with a new crate. Maybe move up to Magnum engine. Do I ditch the TBI and go carbureted or maybe fuel injection? Whatever set up I go with will have headers and a good dual exhaust.

I will stay with an automatic transmission. So there again should I rebuild or replace my current transmission. I believe it is a 727 3 speed, for the gas mileage should I look for something with a overdrive or maybe even a new five-speed. I will also be replacing the auto hubs with manual hubs.

Thanks for all the advice or suggestions that can give me. I have plenty of time to prepare for this build as it will not start until after the first of the year.

Bobby