Just bought a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 with 8 lug wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I bought a 2003 Ram 1/2 ton in 2003...First year of the Hemi in the truck. There weren't any in 2002.

OP
OP
W

Westcliffe01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking on partsgeek.com I picked a MY 2004 Ram 2500 and the parts seem to match for the front axle.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2002 cab + hemi + 2500 underpinnings = what you have

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
There is a free decoder that supposedly works back to 1981 on another forum - I have to break up the link, rules prohibit directly linking to another forum, hope this doesn't break any rules.

https://dodgeforum"DOT COM"/forum/vindecoder.php

OP
OP
W

Westcliffe01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Folks, if I was going to stay in MI I think I would be all set. But I am moving to CO in a few months. I think they want to do a VIN inspection before they will register any out of state vehicles for the first time. Does anyone know whether the troopers in CO are looking for matching engine / Frame information ? Its a 22 YO truck, unfortunately I had no idea I was buying a bastardized truck cobbled together from different parts..... The engine model / size is not going to match what is linked to the VIN data.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to be a lot of oddities with this truck.

If the cab was swapped, i would be worried that the VIN won't match between the chassis and the cab. I would fear that maybe the chassis was stolen and swapped the cabs to hide the fact? I would definitely try and verify everything.

Last edited:

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a process to make a frame/cab swapped vehicle properly legal, but you will end up with an assembled title, which is comparable to a rebuilt title in that it will will really hurt resale value. You could try to take it for the CO inspection, don’t say anything and see if it slides. If not, try and resell the truck as is without changing anything for what you paid or close to it. Unless you plan to keep this truck for a long time and resale value doesn’t bother you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Westcliffe01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to be a lot of oddities with this truck.

If the cab was swapped, i would be worried that the VIN won't match between the chassis and the cab. I would fear that maybe the chassis was stolen and swapped the cabs to hide the fact? I would definitely try and verify everything.
I agree totally. Im going to try working with a local collision shop who may also know where to to find the frame VIN. We have a couple of police reservists at work who could then run the VIN for me to understand what the vehicle status is. Stolen or not stolen.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sure it’s not stolen, a crook wouldn’t be pulling much profit if they took the time to cab swap, lol. Cab and frame swaps are not uncommon at all, especially here in Michigan.

OP
OP
W

Westcliffe01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is intended to be a back up truck for me. My primary is a 2008 F250 with a Cummins 5.9 running a VE pump. Im moving to a fairly remote part of Colorado, so the truck will blend right in with the old beaters of the cattle ranchers. Doubt I would ever sell it, it may have some advantages in winter when it might be harder to get the Cummins started. Im just about to spend money on it in maintenance, would like to be sure nothing is stolen.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
They don't hand out the location of the confidential VIN stamped on the frame to just anyone. Normally, only people cleared for access to the NATB data base can get that information, and it's a closely held group. When I was still a cop, I used a friend of mine who was an Indiana State Police auto theft detective on cases where we needed to check for the confidential VIN, and even though we were buds he had to come out and do the search and check himself, no "look here on the frame". Plus, it's not always the entire VIN, sometimes it's a partial number that you need the NATB to decode (sorry, National Automobile Theft Bureau).
My suggestion is that you contact your state police, I'm 99.9% sure they'll have Auto Theft detectives in various areas of Michigan. The downside is, if the thing is stolen (or partially stolen anyway, the 1500 VIN is obviously clean) they'll probably take the truck. In similar cases I've seen people get them back after dealing with the actual owner or insurance company, but it's a crap shoot.
As old as the truck is, it's probably an innocent cab swap.... The 4.7 dumped, they had a rotted out 2500 with good running gear, so they put good cab and bed on good frame. The unknown is Colorado, for a couple of reasons. First, if you get a trooper doing your numbers check who knows something about vehicles, he's gonna notice that it's not a 1500. If he happens to be a Ram aficionado, he'll know a Hemisphere didn't come in a 2002 anything. He could snatch your truck for further investigation, and who knows where that goes.
Second is emissions. Do you know the emissions rules for where you plan to move in Colorado? I know some areas require emissions inspections, others don't. If you're in an area that does, there's different emissions rules for half tons and 3/4 tons....3/4 might even be exempt. But since you're titled as a 1500, if you have to test, you'll have to pass the tailpipe test for a 4.7 with a Hemi. Plus, if the emissions guy knows anything, he'll know that engine does not match the truck and no sticker for you.
You've got a lot to think about....

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8th digit tells engine. I think the 2500 frame is boxed in some spots & or maybe a lil taller in some spots . I had a 03 2500 & remember it was a lil different than the 04 1500. Also no hemi till 03.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Next question , I may have missed it? where did you get it?
From a dealer, take it back and trade back to them, or cash back.
I presume it would not be from a licenced dealer as they can't afford to pull scams.
This could be a fine truck, I would want it on a lift and look at everything .
If you licenced it in a different area , could be a problem, but maybe not ?????????
You do not have a 2002 1/2 ton, next question what the hell year is the running gear.
a scan tool may tell you, I am don't use them so don't know.
Pressure wash the underside , and you may find some part tags, and some have build dates on them. A dealership should be able to decode it.
Good luck. that looks just like my 2005 1/2t I had.

I would not spend any money yet, until you get it figured out.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every vehicle has a "hidden" VIN on the frame somewhere. My dad (Cleveland PD) would get a little book every year with their locations. He workd in Auto Theft Unit. A dealer should be able to tell you where to try looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357