Need Help identifying This Wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Something in my steering wheel broke today. When I turn, I can hear a plastic piece rattling around. So I pulled the steering wheel, and found this small copper like button, wired thru the steering column and attached to a broken chunk of plastic. Is this for the horn? It seems completely separate to me. Gluing It back in place might be tough if it needs to be placed at a precise location

Attachments

• IMG_20160301_180421.jpg
    IMG_20160301_180421.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 63

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that piece is for the horn and you can glue it back together. i glued mine back together over 5 years and 28k km ago and it is still holding but i forget what i used to glue it back together.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
also when you put the steering wheel back on don't tighten the nut to tight. you just want it snug. if you tighten it too tight you may have issues with your truck randomly honking when you turn the wheel

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had that once, caused by that very thing. The first time it went off it scared the **** out of me....

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i tightened mine so tight that the horn stayed on once. i think i even stretched the hole a bit because occasionally it still honks when i am turning even with it being just a bit over hand tight

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks very much. I'll try superglue, and I won't over tighten it. Another problem that you guys might be able to help me with, is suddenly the "opened door" chime, or "lights still on" chime, has a wobbly sound. This started last week. Is it simply just the chime sound wearing our, or could it do with the voltage of the battery fluctuating. It happens when the engine is shut off, but doesn't happen when the truck is running

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is possibly just the low voltage. i am actually surprised that your truck would still have one. as much as i like that they remind you that you lights are on when you open your door most of the time they get disconnected and tossed. both my vehicles had them and have been disconnected.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It weird, when I pull the ash tray out fast or if I hit the dashboard with my hand, the chime comes on. Something must be loose... where do I find it? Is it located under the dash?

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I glued the piece back together, let it sit over night, but it didn't hold. Theres a very small surface area I have to work with, and I have to be sure not to glue the plastic which moves when the signal light lever is turned on, to the rest of the metal which does not move. I might have to go to a junk yard and find a completely new piece. Frustrating

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think i actually used plastic cement now that i think about it. i think i used vised grip to hold it together over night and i was very generous with the plastic cement. i had the stuff leftover from some model cars i had built.