How to install a No Splice Kill Switch Harness 4th & 5th Gen Ram Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
**Please read these basic instructions completely to ensure you are aware of the overall steps as well as any additional details for accessing the area you have selected to hide your kill switch before you begin. This installation isn’t difficult as long as you know how to gain access to the area where you want to hide your kill switch. There are multiple videos online to help access various panels within your dash/console/etc online to reference. Please utilize those to prepare for your installation.
Items to consider:

• Only you know the risk you are facing for which you are now taking an extra step to help safeguard the vehicle you own.
  • This solution is a deterrent to thieves being able to steal your vehicle. If a thief REALLY wants your vehicle, they will find a way to get it. So think of your security as layers of an onion, which always has more than one. Could be simple steps, but maybe not do the threat and/or risk you are facing.
  • You alone must decide where to place the hidden kill switch in a location that you find acceptable to access for each time you need to activate the hidden kill switch.
  • The harder it is to see the hidden kill switch the better. Be creative.
  • There is a balance between hard to find/reach, and it being frustrating for the owner themselves every time they use their vehicle. Your vehicle, your choice. No choice is wrong.
  • Please do NOT share your hidden kill switch location with anyone. It’s great to give general suggestions for options on where to install, but if online just because someone has an account doesn’t mean anything.
  • Creative item some have done:
    • Chaining more than a couple hidden kill switches together and mounting them in the same area where they are all hidden. Only the owner knows the direction the on/off part goes for each one as they were physically mounted different ways (not all off positions going in the same direction – and hidden so done by feel). Kind of like a combo lock!
  • Last recommendations:
    • Each harness connector at the ignition switch should go back together and make a “click” sound when properly connected. Click sound won’t be too loud, so turn down the music to listen for it. :) It could drive you crazy when you test this and it doesn’t work due to one connector not fully seated. There are only a couple so it won’t take long for this step.
    • For the safest method, disconnect your negative battery terminal before starting any installation steps.
  • VERY IMPORTANT: *****Once you have fully installed all of the wiring and the switch is connected in its hidden location – TEST the hidden kill switch before you put the panels back on the dash!

Video's to watch depending on which generation of Ram Truck you have - NOTE: **You do NOT have to remove the ignition switch from / out of the dash to install this harness, simply disconnect and then reconnect harness from back side of the ignition switch. These video's are basically to show how to remove the kick plate below your steering wheel - you can watch the rest of the video to learn more, but those additional steps are not needed:

4th Gen Video - Coming soon, basically the same as 5th gen except no clips on back of panel and panel surrounds the ignition on top left side.
5th Gen Video - Also shows how to change to a RED Push button start for 5th Gen Trucks!

Installation steps:
4th Gen: Using a 7mm nut driver or socket wrench.
5th Gen: Using a 7 or 8mm nut driver or socket Wrench.
- remove the 2 bottom screws under the steering wheel bottom access panel.

4th Gen: Then gently remove that cover by pushing slightly up and back towards you. Be careful not to loose the plastic ring around the ignition. Usually silver in color.
5th Gen: As seen in video link above, there are clips holding your lower kick panel in place, work your way around to release them.
- The OBD2 socket connector and wiring will still be attached to the cover you are removing, so just put the bottom panel straight down on the floorboard.

Look up in the top right area of the opening, towards your ignition switch (either key style fob or push to start button – whichever one you have) and find the connector that goes into the back of the ignition switch. It is identical to the female end on the no splice kill switch harness for easy identification.

Pic of female end:

20230903_161550.jpg

As seen in the above picture, there is a squeeze tab release on the female connector to release the connector from the back of the ignition switch. Squeeze it while pulling away from the ignition (towards front of truck direction, and down a little) and it should easily separate. If it is not disconnecting, please ensure the squeeze tab is fully depressed in while pulling it out.

You should now have something that looks similar to this - note in picture the female end is disconnected now:

Ram start switch.jpg

Now take the no splice kill switch harness and connect the male connector into the female connector you just removed from the back of the ignition switch, and on the other end of the harness you are installing put that female connector into the back of the ignition switch. In short, you are installing the no spice kill switch harness in-between where you disconnected the truck harness from the back side of the ignition switch in your dash.

Dress up your cabling and secure it to your liking - making sure nothing rubs or rattles.

Route the cable extension coming from the no splice kill switch harness towards your selected hidden location. You may have to remove additional panels depending on location selected. Mentioned at beginning - There are many videos online for other work that has been shown how to get into those panels/consoles/etc. Please reference a component in the area where you decide to hide your kill switch and look up one of those videos to see how to access that area of your vehicles dash/console/etc.

Once you have the access to mount the kill switch in your selected hidden location, secure the switch and connect the two 4.8 or 6.3mm ends that are heat shrink wrapped on to the back side of the switch (assuming you purchased them - or similar approach you took). Unless you selected the solder option (wires pre-soldered to switch) where now you would complete soldering the wires in. There is NO wrong way to wire in the switch, no wires to cross connect wrong. The switch simply allows or does not allow the connect to complete depending whether it's in the On or Off position. So no worries in doing this step wrong.

Time to test! Before putting your panels back together, test it!

Now that you know it works, secure any remaining wiring needed, and reverse steps for replacing panels/console/etc that were removed for access during the installation process.

You’re finished with the installation!

Congratulations! This was an easy installation wasn't it? Many spend more time deciding where to hide their kill switch than it takes to complete the installation TBH.

For those finding these instructions and wondering where to order one of these - Here's the LINK

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I read this and a couple of your other posts on the single and double.

My complements on the level effort for providing instruction and detail about your product and the simplicity of installation. I'm going to have to figure out where to hid the switches.

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I read this and a couple of your other posts on the single and double.

My complements on the level effort for providing instruction and detail about your product and the simplicity of installation. I'm going to have to figure out where to hid the switches.
Update: Suggestion on install steps has been completed, and is located HERE for Ram Trucks.

Thank you! If you have any questions please let me know. I've had several who normally wouldn't tackle this type of thing themselves complete their install just fine. If you would like any general ideas of where to think about locating your kill switch(s) just PM me and I'd be glad to share some that have been shared by/with others. Also always looking for improvement suggestions as well, so please send those if you have them too!

I'm working on a suggestion that was shared most recently to re word the install instructions to have the kill switch wiring lead and switch installed first, and the snap in the connector side on the push button start switch last as the last step. This would add additional safety for those who do not want to disconnect their battery first when they install it. And just safer overall was the general idea. You will see thus change uploaded in coming days as I work on making it read easily as possible.

I look forward to working with you on your solution.
Jeff

Last edited:

bigblock_doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My question would be, the thief has gotten into the truck and ripped the panel
where a plug of some sort is. Now he programs a new key and starts the truck with the auto start on his bogus fob.
No push button required. Yea or nay?

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
@bigblock_doc

Very good question! Thank you for posting it!

So whether thief has your FOB, or created one via the OBD2 port in your truck the following would be correct.

For those that have remote start, when activated using the FOB to start the truck remotely (so now is running for x number of minutes) you still need to use the push to start button to go to the RUN position in order to put the truck into gear and drive away. A kill switch on the push to start button (as well as key FOB turn to start trucks) will keep you from going to the RUN position until the hidden kill switch is in the ON position.

If you want to take it up a notch, you could also alter some of the wires in the truck side harness to the push to start switch, match that with kill switch harness wiring pattern, and even if thief found your harness and tried to put truck harness plug directly back into the push button start button, they still wouldn't be able to go to the RUN position even with a working FOB in hand! Because the altered wiring won't allow the truck to work with the push to start button without the kill switch harness always in place. Thus either wasting even more time for thief or they just give up cause the theft script they were using isn't working..... :)

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
where a plug of some sort is. Now he programs a new key and starts the truck with the auto start on his bogus fob.

I would suspect that anyone capable of creating their own FOB is most likely the type to spend zero additional time to their standard routine effort in thieving our trucks.

Anything that adds additional time is likely enough to cause most thieves to move on to an easier target.

I wouldn't doubt that the majority of these people don't know much more than their standard routine but there could always be an exception.

I have one of Jeff's harness' installed in my truck and have gained significant sense of comfort while parked in the city or remote in the country.

I still plan to order a steering Club sometime in the near future. This extra visual indicator will likely deter other potential fools from breaking in and attempting to steal my truck. :cool:

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I would suspect that anyone capable of creating their own FOB is most likely the type to spend zero additional time to their standard routine effort in thieving our trucks.

Anything that adds additional time is likely enough to cause most thieves to move on to an easier target.

I wouldn't doubt that the majority of these people don't know much more than their standard routine but there could always be an exception.

I have one of Jeff's harness' installed in my truck and have gained significant sense of comfort while parked in the city or remote in the country.

I still plan to order a steering Club sometime in the near future. This extra visual indicator will likely deter other potential fools from breaking in and attempting to steal my truck. :cool:

Absolutely agree that adding other layers to your overall prevention plan. Steering Wheel lock, faraday pouch for FOB signal block, parking awareness, and any other item you think might help with the risk you are around. Anything to slow them down!

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I would like the for a Challenger HellCat. JW2, have you tried this on a Challenger?

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I would like the for a Challenger HellCat. JW2, have you tried this on a Challenger?
Yes, both tested and have sold to Challenger Hellcat owners as well.

Here's a link to all of the harness options for your Challenger - Link HERE

Feel free to PM here, or via email with any additional questions at: [email protected]

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

I ran across this somewhere else, sorry can't remember, but this was mentioned as good for both locking the steering wheel and add yet another audible alarm item to the car. I don't own one, or endorse it but rather just passing along another option to secure your vehicle, and if others find this then possibly help them as well.

Here's the LINK

Also looks like there are several sellers on Amazon selling same/similar item, if interested search:

Steering Wheel Lock with Alarm​

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My apologies, I may not have directly answered your question in my last note.

If a thief were to break-in to my truck, program a FOB and then use the FOB to remote start, he would still require to hold the brake pedal and push the start button.

Even with a successful remote start using my own FOB or a newly programmed FOB, with the start button disabled, my truck is still protected.

To answer your question, yes, the start button is always required, including after a remote start.

Was this the information you were looking for?

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Just an update. STILL LOVING my two switch Kill Switch Harness. I'm extremely satisfied. It is giving me a lot of comfort that I can get some well placed "freedom seeds" onto the target while someone ***** around trying to figure out why the start button does not work.

I used my 6 food lead to run well back.... to someplace..... The location is difficult but with muscle memory, proved to be natural and part of the normal in and out of the vehicle.

I have not run my longer lead for the second switch to its final location yet. Though it is well tucked away. I'm waiting until I finish wiring my auxiliary fuse block, and then I will run that kill switch lead with the other wiring. I'm doing that all at once since I have to pull some interior apart to do everything at once.

@JW2 Innovations - I have not fully verified this yet, but My Commander In Chief House (CINC House) wife told me she read that a new auto theft technique for Key FOB replication is for people copying/photo of the vehicle vin, going to a website (?) where they can get the FOB code.... anyways this might be old news. I don't steal cars for a living, so I'm not an SME.

Regardless, this Kill Switch Harness still works to do its job in defeating them, or at least slowing them down.

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Just an update. STILL LOVING my two switch Kill Switch Harness. I'm extremely satisfied. It is giving me a lot of comfort that I can get some well placed "freedom seeds" onto the target while someone ***** around trying to figure out why the start button does not work.

I used my 6 food lead to run well back.... to someplace..... The location is difficult but with muscle memory, proved to be natural and part of the normal in and out of the vehicle.

I have not run my longer lead for the second switch to its final location yet. Though it is well tucked away. I'm waiting until I finish wiring my auxiliary fuse block, and then I will run that kill switch lead with the other wiring. I'm doing that all at once since I have to pull some interior apart to do everything at once.

@JW2 Innovations - I have not fully verified this yet, but My Commander In Chief House (CINC House) wife told me she read that a new auto theft technique for Key FOB replication is for people copying/photo of the vehicle vin, going to a website (?) where they can get the FOB code.... anyways this might be old news. I don't steal cars for a living, so I'm not an SME.

Regardless, this Kill Switch Harness still works to do its job in defeating them, or at least slowing them down.
Hi @ANGLICO , Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're enjoying the kill switch harness!

Kudo's to your wife! And she is right to this being one of the ways would be thieves are using in their play books to steal your vehicle - a popular one at that! The one's bringing a tablet/small device with them hook up to the OBD2 port then add another/new key FOB to your vehicle, and then use it to drive your vehicle away! Here's a LINK to see more on my website. Sadly, thieves are always thinking up new ways too....

For those interested, I also make a fake OBD2 harness to swap into your real OBD2 connector to add some time to their theft attempt as well. Fake OBD2 harness I can label the pin number on the end of each wire so you can use to replace your own damaged OBD2 port, or whatever the need. It's made with OEM connectors and pins, so you have lot's of options for it's use. There's a second option I hope to finish soon with another enhanced OBD2 harness solution that includes the fake connector as well as lengthens out the real end to the length you need to hide it somewhere else. A one to two foot version of this would be a great solution for those with tuners who don't want to see the tuner plug hooked up all the time and would also like the fake OBD2 connector as well.

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I bought the simple on/off rocker kill switch last year but just never got a chance to install it. Just did it now. Took longer to get the panel screws off and on again than it did to install the switch and route the actual switch to a hidden location. Works like a charm. There has been an escalation in car thefts around here so anything that makes it a bit harder to waltz off with the truck is well worth the very small price and little effort to buy and install the switch. Thanks Jeff.

OP
OP
JW2 Innovations

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I bought the simple on/off rocker kill switch last year but just never got a chance to install it. Just did it now. Took longer to get the panel screws off and on again than it did to install the switch and route the actual switch to a hidden location. Works like a charm. There has been an escalation in car thefts around here so anything that makes it a bit harder to waltz off with the truck is well worth the very small price and little effort to buy and install the switch. Thanks Jeff.
You bet @notimetoulouse ! Glad to hear about your success!

Unfortunately theft has been increasing again this year all over! And I see you're in one of the hot spot areas as well.

All, even if you don't buy one of my theft deterrent offerings PLEASE think about making steps to keep your vehicle right where you left it!

Other areas to consider are:
– Steering wheel lock, brake and/or clutch pedal lock.
– Keeping your keys in a faraday bag/pouch/box to keep thieves from relaying your FOB signal, and don’t keep them on the same side of the house as your vehicle. Especially if they can see them through your window. Further away from you vehicle is best when you’re not driving.
– Where you park when at home and away. Have a plan for both and don’t make it easy for a thief to get away with your vehicle. Garage is best, but blocking it in somehow may be an option.
– More than one kill switch approach. Combo switches linked together so that only you know the correct up/down sequence to start your vehicle.
– Installing a GPS tracking solution so you know at all times where your vehicle is. Air tags and other similar vendor solutions may also need to be added though keeping these secret is getting harder as time goes on.
– After market alarm/anti-theft system. Doesn’t mean they won’t just come with a tow truck or flat bed truck but every additional layer helps.
– Fake or relocated and perhaps locked up OBD2 port, so thieves can’t connect and add another key FOB to your vehicle.
– Push to start relocation harness, to leave a disconnected push to start in the dash and the "live" one hidden somewhere else that only you know.
– Remote kill switch options - reach out and I will be glad to share how to add this to my harness, or other options that are out there that I don't even sell!
– Etc....