85 W250 318 bad problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
So I was driving tonight and everything was fine. I was heading up a hill and giving her a good amount of gas and then I lost what feels like half my cylinders.... I stopped and the crazy part it is, it idles fine. Even the first 16th-8th of the pedal works fine but if I push any further it seems like only half the cylinders fire/or it is just wanting to stall... I have over 1/2 tank of gas, jist had a flowmaster super 50 installed two days ago. Pleeeeeeas ideas or help, I'm thinking maybe pickup coil? But other than that I'm lost...

OP
OP
B

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Update: So I got in her this morning, fired her up and it has fixed itself. Runs and drives perfect. I'm so confused now lol.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
voltage regulator would have had nothing to do with it.

how old are the wires/distributor cap and rotor?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Update: So I got in her this morning, fired her up and it has fixed itself. Runs and drives perfect. I'm so confused now lol.

I've been having similar problems with mine. Most of the time it runs fine but occasionally it will lose power and bog down while under load. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet but I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel starved.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya but i am pretty sure your issue is just the return line returning too much fuel to the tank which could be tested quick and easily by blocking off the return line. i though i had an ignition system issue with my 81 a while back and it ended up just being not enough fuel pressure making it to the carb even with a brand new filter. block the return line and haven't had an issue since. could possibly be the same issue with Blue Chaos's truck especially if he has replaced the filter. i don't think the quality is as good as it use to be.

OP
OP
B

Blue Chaos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Filter and pump are brand new. I'm running new lines next week, I'll try blocking the return. Distributor cap is brand new, but the rotor I old. It didn't feel like the engine was being starved for fuel, it felt like it was flooded but idled fine, hasn't done it since but now I'm curious

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I fought with my fuel issue and bought multiple new filters before blocking of the return line. I am also on my 2nd fuel pump since owning it in 5 or so years. Quality is just not as good as it use to be