5.7L bogging down under load and low rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chidychi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone.

5.7L with 66RFE
I have a 2017 2500 slt with about 200k km (125k miles). I've searched the forums but haven't quite found my situation.

About a year ago, the truck started to struggle climbing hills ( my driveway is a 300' hill with turns covered in ice and snow) . I parked it for about 6 months with the intention of getting back to it.
After about 6 months, I fired the truck up and it ran fine.
After driving it the last 6 months it has slowly started to bog down. Seems to be getting worse. Odd that it sitting seemed to solve the problem for a time.

Symptoms ( I live in cold climate and mostly drive the truck in winter):

When engine is Cold:
- Starts fine, seems to back up slowly fine, I put it in drive and it will move without throttle. But (sometimes) if I give it any throttle it will bog down.
- Acceleration from stop is terrible when cold.

When engine is Hot:
- Light pressure on throttle bogs down. Continues to bog down until I hit about half way on the throttle. It drops a couple gears and it accelerates a little too well. Doesn't seem to matter which gear I'm in. If it doesn't drop a gear it won't accelerate)
- If I'm climbing a hill in any gear, it will struggle until the rpm hits around 2500 - 3000. After that it wants to go.

General:
- When it downshifts it usually skips 2 gears and feels like a race car..... whether I want it or not. I am putting in a new valve body soon.
- I cleaned the TB yesterday. Didn't seem to help. Noticed oil in the intake. I'm assuming that is from the PCV when i need to punch it to climb a hill.
- I cleaned the PCV yesterday. Seems fine.
- new air filter.
- When not in gear it seems to rev fine.
- very slight fluctuations in rpm when travelling at steady speed.
- gas mileage has **** the bed hard.
- Cam shaft tick. Planning on fixing that soon.
- NO CODES. No stuttering. No shaking. Just no power at low rpm.

At first I thought all the problems were due to the tranny. I'm going to replace the valve body and replace the tranny oil soon. But now I'm wondering if the bogging is an engine issue instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
How many miles on spark plugs?
If 125K....... change them.

Check your intake bolts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chidychi

chidychi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on spark plugs?
Sorry I should have mentioned. They have about 5k on them at most.
If it has a camshaft tick,you might want to investigate that first.Alot of what you're describing could be attributed to a camshaft going south.
As soon as the weather clears up a bit here I'm going to start on that. I just need to gather parts and recommendations on what else I should fix while i'm elbow deep in'er.
The only odd part if that is the culprit is that there are no codes, no misfires, no rough idle etc.... However that's definitely the leading theory in my mind (Other than the tranny)

Check your intake bolts.
I'll go take a look right now.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
chidychi

chidychi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of the bolts on the intake manifold were slightly loose. I tightened them but it didn't seem to change any of the symptoms.

OP
OP
chidychi

chidychi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last fall I replaced the exhaust manifolds because they had broken bolts. Ticking never stopped.
Today I took off the valve covers, and both banks looked fine.

I did what any idiot would do in 2024. I asked ChatGPT.... It said that a loose timing chain could cause the ticking... or piston slap.

I guess the next step would be to examine the timing chain and maybe pull out the cam to examine it as well... unless anyone has a better idea?

OP
OP
chidychi

chidychi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually,
Maybe I'll look into the valves first:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That transmission, has 2 filters in it
One of the filters, can be different, depending on whether the truck is a 4X4 or not. So inform the person selling the filters whether you have the 2x4 or 4x4