battery overcharging, no idea what the problem is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dabubbers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
My battery keeps over charging, I'm driving an 88 dodge W-150 with a 360 in it. I have a new alternator, new voltage regulator, and a new battery (literally four days old) but for some reason my battery is overcharging. I just checked it tonight and I have blown both of my battery caps off just on my way home from work. Now it's gotten to the point my turn signals, brake lights, radio, etc. Are not functioning properly. Help please!!! I don't have the money to drop it off at a shop and have them give it an entire look over.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Issues with accessories like lights and signals while the motor is running would lead to an alternator issue, I would get it tested at a parts store. I would try to avoid driving the truck otherwise you'll be purchasing another battery.

OP
OP
D

dabubbers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
I'll take it up to advance tomorrow, this alternator is only a week old I got it the day before I got the battery, given it is refurbished.. But the old refurbished one did the exact same thing this one is doing now. Would it make sense that they both didn't work or did I just get unlucky enough to get two crappy alternator simultaneously??

OP
OP
D

dabubbers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
I also recently had a radio installed, prior to that I had no problems with the battery over charging, could this be relative to the problem as well?