Fuel pump issue, or...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
the clicking sounds like a relay (relays are just an electronic switch). Why it would not just stay in the ''on'' position is beyond me. Did you r/r the relay first??

OP
OP
The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I agree with Crazzy, ECU or bad wiring/connection.

Worn wires are certainly a possibility - it's old enough to have worn EVERYTHING. icon11.gif

It runs perfectly, once the buzzing stops though. Not sure how a short OR bad ECU would allow that, but there you have it. :hmm:

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
best to check the connector with a multi meter to see which side is causing the relay to chatter. it is not the fuel pump. i have never heard a relay chatter like that when my pump was bad or after i replaced it.

OP
OP
The War Wagon

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
best to check the connector with a multi meter to see which side is causing the relay to chatter. it is not the fuel pump. i have never heard a relay chatter like that when my pump was bad or after i replaced it.

What should I be looking for with the multi-meter? If I find some power drop off, what then?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya you would most likely see a voltage drop or just see the voltage come and go. knowing which terminal is causing the issue will let you know what direction you need to look as far as wiring goes. if the voltage drop or flickering is at terminal 85 then the computer or computer ground is most likely the issue. if terminal 86 has a voltage drop/flickering you could have a bad wire somewhere or a faulty ignition switch or something. this whole issue could just be a bad computer ground since the computer uses ground signals to activate everything so may want to give those a once over first