Poor Starting - Possible Carb Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci
I have been driving my 87 d150 for 4 years now. 2 years ago I swapped from the factory 2 barrel carb to an edelbrock 500 or 550 cfm carb (I cant remember). I ran great and never had issues.
This year after driving the vehicle for more then 5mins, upon restart it just cranks for quite a while. If I hit the gas when cranking, it usually starts up.
It almost is acting like a flooded engine. My problem is, carbs aren't really something I am too familiar with. What part of the carb could be causing this issue and how can I fix it?
Thanks.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
does the truck sit for any long extended period of time without running since you got the new carb?

AshC

Reaction score
Ram Year
1984 & 2009
Engine
318, 5.7L Hemi
I have been driving my 87 d150 for 4 years now. 2 years ago I swapped from the factory 2 barrel carb to an edelbrock 500 or 550 cfm carb (I cant remember). I ran great and never had issues.
This year after driving the vehicle for more then 5mins, upon restart it just cranks for quite a while. If I hit the gas when cranking, it usually starts up.
It almost is acting like a flooded engine. My problem is, carbs aren't really something I am too familiar with. What part of the carb could be causing this issue and how can I fix it?
Thanks.

If it's flooding, usually they'll start if you put the gas pedal to the floor (to open up the carb) and hold it down while you crank it. If it's flooding, it also usually smells very strongly of gasoline. Different problem if you have to pump the pedal to get it to start.

Could be the fuel filter if it's struggling to start up and doesn't reek of gas. All the crap settles when it's been sitting for long, but after you run it and shut it off all that garbage is up and clogging it up. They're cheap and if you haven't replaced it, it won't hurt to do it. I think the part was like $11-15 last I put one on. It's even fairly easy to do.

I just replaced one on my Yukon about 2 months ago, and that's a pain, but my truck runs a hell of a lot better now - gets way better gas mileage (from 13-14 to 16 or so, lol) also

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
actually if it has been sitting to much the truck could be suffering from what i refer to as ethanol poisoning. ethanol is bad for fuel system especially when it sits in the carb. the smaller then carb the worse it is for it. edelbrock carbs are know for not being the greatest to start when they are warm. i don't know them well enough to help you out with them.

OP
OP
L

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci
does the truck sit for any long extended period of time without running since you got the new carb?

Yes, I don't drive it during the winter because I don't want the salt to get to it.
So with me installing the carb last summer, it has probably sat for about 4-5 months over last winter. It didn't have this problem last year either....

OP
OP
L

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci
If it's flooding, usually they'll start if you put the gas pedal to the floor (to open up the carb) and hold it down while you crank it. If it's flooding, it also usually smells very strongly of gasoline. Different problem if you have to pump the pedal to get it to start.

Could be the fuel filter if it's struggling to start up and doesn't reek of gas. All the crap settles when it's been sitting for long, but after you run it and shut it off all that garbage is up and clogging it up. They're cheap and if you haven't replaced it, it won't hurt to do it. I think the part was like $11-15 last I put one on. It's even fairly easy to do.

I just replaced one on my Yukon about 2 months ago, and that's a pain, but my truck runs a hell of a lot better now - gets way better gas mileage (from 13-14 to 16 or so, lol) also

To get it to start easier, I'm not pumping it, but I'm also not holding it to the floor either. I'm just pushing it down about half way while it cranks.

I did replace the fuel filter a month or so ago thinking this could be the problem, but it didn't really make much of a difference.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it an electric choke on your carb? in my experience with the edelbrock's i normally have to tap the pedal twice to start them. and the edelbrock's only like 4-5psi of fuel pressure and most mechanical pumps are 6-9psi and will make the edelbrock's act goofy at idle and starting.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
edelbrock carbs can be funny. you would not be the only one who has hot starting issues. could possibly have some crap growing in the float bowls since it is not run in the winter.
this is what the float bowl on my holley looked like after my truck sat for about 2 month and i would occasionally fire it up and it was less than a year since i cleaned it last. ethanol causes corrosion to grow and get worse.
IMAG0250.jpg