A Good Transmission Deal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 5.7 4x4 with 165,000 needs a new transmission. I've been driving around with a shudder for the last 40k miles and it is getting worse. The torque converter is beginning to fail and there is some minor slipping during upshifts and downshifts. I have over 25k miles of heavy towing and hauling. I feel like I have gotten everything this ZF8HP70 has to give.

I got a quote of $3900 for a "refurbished" trans with a lifetime warranty as long as I bring it to them for a service every year. The service is a BG clean/flush and costs $275. I plan on keeping my truck forever so this seems like a decent deal but wanted to hear some feedback...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So...that's a rebuilt trans, right?

If you just want to get it done and the money isn't a stumbling issue, it sounds like you'd never have to worry about it. But the yearly flush seems extreme ...unless you are doing rough-service towing with your truck. Then it probably makes sense. So, if those things are true, the $3900 deal (which sounds a little high to me personally, but I haven't shopped tranny rebuilds lately) is probably a good way to go for you. You write out the check and it's done ..with a guarantee. But they probably know that after 5 years you'll stop doing the $275 flush..and they'll make back almost a fifth of the tranny price in that time. And if they're wise, they'll find some maintenance items your truck needs. But again, little risk on your behalf and that could be worth it's weight in gold to a lot of owners.

Another option is to check with local Salvage yards and/or Marketplace. See if you can find one for $500-$800 with relatively low miles. Which you probably ought to be able to. Then have a shop install it? And do the tranny flushes every couple yrs. That's going to cost you time and money to do the footwork & acquire and work out a deal with a shop, and there will always be some 'risk' in a deal like that. Usually it works out great and is a lot cheaper way to go. Or have a buddy install for free. ...but you can't completely remove risk. And if a shop charges you $800, plus $800 (tranny) + $200 new fluid/parts, etc...then you're halfway to a rebuilt tranny with lifetime guarantee (Option A above). So it depends how you feel about risk ...maybe Option A makes a lot of sense. Buy Once, Cry once.

So..you have a couple options. Glad to hear you plan to keep your tk for life! She must be a nice rig. Congrats on that.

You might also plan on having the lifters changed too if you're a lifer. Or at least consider it. Those little rollers on the end of the lifters can't live forever. That's the biggest risk on the engine probably, and could save your bacon big time. And a new set of head and intake gaskets (while you're doing the job) can't hurt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So...that's a rebuilt trans, right?

If you just want to get it done and the money isn't a stumbling issue, it sounds like you'd never have to worry about it. But the yearly flush seems extreme ...unless you are doing rough-service towing with your truck. Then it probably makes sense. So, if those things are true, the $3900 deal (which sounds a little high to me personally, but I haven't shopped tranny rebuilds lately) is probably a good way to go for you. You write out the check and it's done ..with a guarantee. But they probably know that after 5 years you'll stop doing the $275 flush..and they'll make back almost a fifth of the tranny price in that time. And if they're wise, they'll find some maintenance items your truck needs. But again, little risk on your behalf and that could be worth it's weight in gold to a lot of owners.

Another option is to check with local Salvage yards and/or Marketplace. See if you can find one for $500-$800 with relatively low miles. Which you probably ought to be able to. Then have a shop install it? And do the tranny flushes every couple yrs. That's going to cost you time and money to do the footwork & acquire and work out a deal with a shop, and there will always be some 'risk' in a deal like that. Usually it works out great and is a lot cheaper way to go. Or have a buddy install for free. ...but you can't completely remove risk. And if a shop charges you $800, plus $800 (tranny) + $200 new fluid/parts, etc...then you're halfway to a rebuilt tranny with lifetime guarantee (Option A above). So it depends how you feel about risk ...maybe Option A makes a lot of sense. Buy Once, Cry once.

So..you have a couple options. Glad to hear you plan to keep your tk for life! She must be a nice rig. Congrats on that.

You might also plan on having the lifters changed too if you're a lifer. Or at least consider it. Those little rollers on the end of the lifters can't live forever. That's the biggest risk on the engine probably, and could save your bacon big time. And a new set of head and intake gaskets (while you're doing the job) can't hurt.
You're living in my head. The buy once, cry once has always worked well for me. I already have a plan for the engine if/when the lifters finally go. I don't have a problem with the required maintenance. Hopefully it will help keep me on the road and not have to bother with using the warranty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts