Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Towing modifications?

This is a discussion on Towing modifications? within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 1st Gen : 1981 - 1993 category!
Greetings and salutations! I have owned my trusty 1985 D150 for many, many... many years. Love the old gal. It ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazzywolfie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1985
Engine: 318
Default Towing modifications?
Greetings and salutations!

I have owned my trusty 1985 D150 for many, many... many years. Love the old gal. It is bone stock right down to the stock (replacement) muffler and hubcaps. 318 automatic.

I drive it 30 miles a day commuting. On the weekends I used to put a small pickup bed camper in it and pull my 14 ft aluminum fishing boat.

This year I upgraded to a 20 foot bumper pull camper again with my boat behind that.

This seems to be a bit much for the ol' '85. A modern 1/2 ton has absolutely no problem pulling this small camper/boat combo but the Dodge struggles. I have to get a run up to hills and even then I scrub speed down to sometimes 45 mph and I'm downshifted by then and to the floor.

So, I'm thinking of which modifications could be made to the truck to make it tow better. I am thinking that I would probably get the most improvement from a set of 3.90 or so gears in the rear.

Am I on the right path here or is there something else that would be a better improvement?

I'm not opposed to just buying a "modern" truck, but I sure would miss my old dodge!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
different gears would help but they would also hurt top speed and fuel mileage. there is really no cheap way to add more power. a tow/rv cam might help it but hard to say. it sounds like you pulling a lot. fuel injection might help and they make conversion kits but you usually require a 4barrel intake

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 1985
Engine: 318
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
different gears would help but they would also hurt top speed and fuel mileage. there is really no cheap way to add more power. a tow/rv cam might help it but hard to say. it sounds like you pulling a lot. fuel injection might help and they make conversion kits but you usually require a 4barrel intake
Fuel mileage isn't too important. I mean, it doesn't do too bad daily driving. I'd guess 15 ish but never measured it. Pulling the camper/boat I'm getting around 7.

Fuel injection I could just pull off of a 90 ish j-yard truck, right?
wevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 3.0 EcoDiesel
Trying to swap a factory EFI system to a non-EFI truck would be a bit challenging, there are parts on the engine specific for the EFI system that probably won't swap. Look into an aftermarket system like this: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...e-street.shtml
crash68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 81 93
Engine: 5.2
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Fuel mileage isn't too important. I mean, it doesn't do too bad daily driving. I'd guess 15 ish but never measured it. Pulling the camper/boat I'm getting around 7.

Fuel injection I could just pull off of a 90 ish j-yard truck, right?
well if you are going junkyard fuel injection i would try finding an engine/trans setup out of a 92 or 93 ram truck or ramcharger since they have the 318 magnum and are usually attached to a 46RH tranmission which has a 4th gear. makes a huge difference
Originally Posted by crash68 View Post
Trying to swap a factory EFI system to a non-EFI truck would be a bit challenging, there are parts on the engine specific for the EFI system that probably won't swap. Look into an aftermarket system like this: Electronic Fuel Injection - E-Street 2 - Introduction - Edelbrock, LLC.
it is really not that hard if you know what you need but it in the end it is really not worth it. if i was doing a EFI swap i would probably use a fi tech kit. they are pretty cheap but have real good options
fuel injection kit
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0003/overview/
fuel pump for it
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0003/overview/
crash68 likes this.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
89 RamCharger 4x4 318/727/3.21 on 33's
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd
crazzywolfie is online now   Reply With Quote