MOPAR OEM CHMSL (Third Brake Light) Cargo Cam for All Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just a preview of what I'm working on now. I've completed the harness, and installed the CHMSL assembly. I've installed the harness all the way up to the dash, but it was getting dark.

I should be able to finish the install first thing in the morning and post some results.

MOPAR_CHMSL_Cam.JPG

CHMSL_Cam_Harness.JPG

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How would this tie into the 8.4AN screen with the factory tailgate cam?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
With the factory radio, it's really an either or option. This would use the same three pins that the tailgate camera uses.

However, it turns out that our radio has inputs for three cameras. But the other two are not enabled. Customtronix has figured out how to enable them, but it's not cheap. That said, what they offer is a software version of the Lockpick, but their version is much better and does more.

I bought their jailbreak, and instead of using their harness, which has RCA inputs. I pinned the cargo cam input the same way the factory tailgate camera is pinned. Except, I used the cargo cam input cavities.

Just like the tailgate camera, our trucks are partially wired for the cargo camera. I made a harness that adds in the missing wires. The other thing I did was steal power from the cargo cam for use with my front bumper camera. I tested that out and all three cameras work. Right now, I've disabled my front bumper camera, because it's not mounted yet. I'll try doing that this afternoon. It's all wired and ready to go.

Here is the result:

CargoCamView.JPG

Software button added by Customtronix.
CargoCamOption.JPG

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How much is the customtronix firmware and where do we get it? I've seen a little info on it already but didn't see a price anywhere. This looks very interesting!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It looks like they've tweaked their features-to-price options. Their Bronze package used to contain all of the software unlocks, but not the harness. Now you have to get their Silver version to get the software unlocks. Their harness is just a male-female pass inline passthrough harness, with some RCAs soldered to the wires and wasn't really worth an extra $200. It doesn't actually have any hardware.

Silver is €299.00, which is just over $400 US. Pretty much the same price point as a Lockpick. It's available on Customtronix.com

Edit: One more note. They've removed the SRT package from their software for US customers, because it had a few bugs. i.e. it deleted the iheart radio, and other media apps. It also displayed km/h instead of mph.

Last edited:

victorsdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks cool..but i have the smaller head unit with no nav

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Looks cool..but i have the smaller head unit with no nav

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The 5.0? This can still be used in lieu of the tailgate camera. But I suspect most people would prefer the tailgate camera.

I had a few reasons for this mod.

One - was I've had a few requests from members to swap their cargo cam output with the tailgate. The factory setup for dual cams is to put the cargo cam on the radio and the tailgate on the mirror. Most people would prefer to swap that.

Two - I've had a few requests for a cargo cam, so I needed to figure out what was involved. Plus, if anyone wants an OEM camera to compliment their Customtronix jailbreak, like I did, I now have a solution.

Three - I had the customtronix jailbreak. I mainly got that for the front cam, but thought I'd see what this is about.

Four - I put a kayak in the back of my truck sometimes, and like being able to keep an eye on it.​

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had to wait for some a wire I epoxied to the back of my plate mount to set, but here is my front cam.

Front_Cam_Mounted.JPG

Front_Cam_View.JPG

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good man. I like all the new views. You can turn the cameras off and on as you please?

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, you can bring up the cargo cam through the menu I posted a picture of. Then you press the 'BACK' button to rotate through all three cameras.

The front camera will also come on by default below 7mph. You can just tap the screen to dismiss it.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have the part number for the cargo cam assembly? And the cheapest place to purchase it? I'm thinking about doing this and the customtronix jailbreak rather than the lockpick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have the part number for the cargo cam assembly? And the cheapest place to purchase it? I'm thinking about doing this and the customtronix jailbreak rather than the lockpick.

68163937AD

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

That's exactly how I ran my setup. I have the customtronix Jailbreak, the OEM tailgate camera, and the OEM cargo camera. I also have a Boyo front license plate camera.

Just know that the customtronix jailbreak, OEM cargo cam, and custom harness required to add the OEM cargo cam adds up to a pretty steep price. Probably more than people are willing to spend on some cameras.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Jeepguy_1980,
Once again you surprise us all with what you can put together that was left out of our trucks! Kudos. (Subscribed)

Since I have the UC 5.0 Radio in my 2013 SLT CC, it sounds like there isn't an option/jailbreak to make the Radio show a front/tailgate camera on screen correct?
(One or the other on UC 5.0 or One on Radio and one on Mirror from prior posts)

PS: It's a good thing I don't still live in Va Beach or I'd be bugging the heck out of you to come play around with all these mods you do.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Something else I realized when I was following my wife. The Mopar light with the cargo cam has LEDs. It matches the stock LEDs a bit better than the original third brake light did.

Ignore the cobwebs.
CargoCamLED1.jpg

CargoCamLED2.jpg

NWRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like the look of that CHMSL! Are the cargo lights LED also? Do they light up the bed much? I don't plan on using the camera (yet), but I might change out the light just to have LED's back there.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I like the look of that CHMSL! Are the cargo lights LED also? Do they light up the bed much? I don't plan on using the camera (yet), but I might change out the light just to have LED's back there.

The cargo lights are LED. There are 4 lights, the original has 2 filament bulbs. They are significantly brighter than the original light. And they're angled down at the bed.

I can post a picture, but I can't really make a comparison photo.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just emailed Customtronix and asked if they can enable the cam inputs with the bronze package. If all they are doing is enabling inputs, I can pin my own wires into the stock harness. Basically, I just need the silver package without their harness.

Now, having said that, do you know what pins they are using for each cam input? I see that 31-33 are for the factory backup cam, but not sure where they are landing the other cams.

776932-1.gif

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The cargo lights are LED. There are 4 lights, the original has 2 filament bulbs. They are significantly brighter than the original light. And they're angled down at the bed.

I can post a picture, but I can't really make a comparison photo.

Hecks yes, they are bright! Painful too if you are standing at the tailgate and looking towards them (not even directly AT them) when they come on.