Alpharex Luxx tail lights and Parking Light Out error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damianosxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Hello,
I have a 2017 Tradesman 3.6L. It came from the factory w/ halogen bulbs Over the years I've had the headlights done with LED projectors, added LED fog lights, LED license plates lights, and 3rd brake light is LED (thanks to an aftermarket cargo cam upgrade). Even the interior dome lights are LED now. Never had an issue with this setup. Figured I'd get LED brake lights to complete the conversion, so I went with Alpharex LUXX since they look so good. These to be exact: https://alpharexusa.com/product/09-18-ram-truck-luxx-series-led-tail-lights-black/ . Installed them ok, and they work, but I get the dreaded "Parking Light Out" message on my dash. Contacted Alpharex and they sent me resistors, I clipped them on, still get the error, and they've gone radio silent. I have everything LED set to Yes in AlfaOBD, even though it wasn't needed prior to the tail lights, and I can't get the error to go away. I read something about another setting that may need to changed, something about the voltage. But I can't tell if it only applies to trucks that come w/ factory LED. Also, another thing is the "Parking Light Out" message only appears when I brake or flip my signal, when my headlights are on. My lights are set to Auto so it's really only a pain when it's dark. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this or am I SOL?

Thank you

Last edited:

Bubba1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the exact same problem. I have a 2017 Outdoorsman (non led) and I purchased Alpa OBD and have been successful thus far until the tail lights. I also bought Alparex Pro taillights and the look great and the fit great, and they work. However hyper flash on the rear turn on the dash only with the error codes that you have also. The light don't actually hyper flash on the truck. They sent me resistors aswell but I havnt tried them yet. I hope we find a cure!! Cheers

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've pretty much given up on trying to completely eliminate error codes with alpharex. I've not tried the taillights, but the headlights I managed to eliminate the errors 99.5% of the time, but randomly I'd get a front parking light out error that would pop up, then go away. I've tried resistors, messed with the programming,etc. There are 3 options that need to be selected for the rear tails. Led rear stop lamps, led rear turn lamps and led rail lamps. If, after all that you still get the errors, verify your turn signal socket in the rear is OEM. If it's not, try swapping in a set of OEM ones and see if that helps. There's no guarantee it'll fix the issue. My guess is that at this point, alpharex just can't figure out how to eliminate the errors and what you get is what you get. It also seems to me that the trucks with the most issues are those with the bigger 7" evic since that actually flashes the errors on the screen.

OP
OP
damianosxero

damianosxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I've given up on those Alpharex tail lights and went back to my stock lights. Now I only get the error on startup and the left tail light doesn't come on at night, only when I brake. (Damn Alpharex). I've already changed the LED tail light settings back to "No", so I'm really hoping the socket went bad in the box or something. Going to change it along with the bulb to see if it goes away. I'm never changing my tail lights again.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've given up on those Alpharex tail lights and went back to my stock lights. Now I only get the error on startup and the left tail light doesn't come on at night, only when I brake. (Damn Alpharex). I've already changed the LED tail light settings back to "No", so I'm really hoping the socket went bad in the box or something. Going to change it along with the bulb to see if it goes away. I'm never changing my tail lights again.
I’m personally too cheap to purchase new LED taillights so I simply purchased the equivalent LED bulbs. I too have AlfaOBD and use all LED bulbs throughout the entire truck. Not one issue over four years with the cheap Amazon LED bulbs in the stock taillight housings. Not nearly as sophisticated looking as the fancy LED taillights but quite a bit brighter than halogen. May be an easier and much less expensive option.

OP
OP
damianosxero

damianosxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I’m personally too cheap to purchase new LED taillights so I simply purchased the equivalent LED bulbs. I too have AlfaOBD and use all LED bulbs throughout the entire truck. Not one issue over four years with the cheap Amazon LED bulbs in the stock taillight housings. Not nearly as sophisticated looking as the fancy LED taillights but quite a bit brighter than halogen. May be an easier and much less expensive option.
Would you happen to know which ones in particular you're in the tail using from Amazon? I swapped the bulbs and socket to FINALLY get rid of the error. My wife has forbid me from more mods to the truck, BUT it bothers me that those are still halogen bulbs in the tail lights.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you happen to know which ones in particular you're in the tail using from Amazon? I swapped the bulbs and socket to FINALLY get rid of the error. My wife has forbid me from more mods to the truck, BUT it bothers me that those are still halogen bulbs in the tail lights.
My tail lights use a 3157 halogen bulb. I replaced them with Yorkim 3157 LED bulb in white. Currently $12.99 for a pair on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpeg
    IMG_1384.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My tail lights use a 3157 halogen bulb. I replaced them with Yorkim 3157 LED bulb in white. Currently $12.99 for a pair on Amazon.
Should use red LEDs behind red lenses. Also, found out through using several cheaper 3157s that eventually you'll lose a few leds on the bulb and still trigger bulb out warnings. Just something to stay aware of.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should use red LEDs behind red lenses. Also, found out through using several cheaper 3157s that eventually you'll lose a few leds on the bulb and still trigger bulb out warnings. Just something to stay aware of.
I use white bulbs in the 3157 group. Something about the frequency of the light spectrum makes them more intense. My daughter was an engineering student at the time of my purchase and explained it to me. Her explanation was over my head but was good to know my tuition payments to Virginia Tech actually went to something useful. LOL

OP
OP
damianosxero

damianosxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Thank you for the info folks. I'll be diving into this and secretly swapping out those bulbs to complete the full LED conversion.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I use white bulbs in the 3157 group.
Something about the frequency of the light spectrum makes them more intense. My daughter was an engineering student at the time of my purchase and explained it to me.
She might have got it backwards:
(be sure to watch the video)

The white wavelength LED gets filtered by the red lens, the red LED isn't effected much by the red filter. Photographers use these principles using filters to manipulate images.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
She might have got it backwards:
(be sure to watch the video)

The white wavelength LED gets filtered by the red lens, the red LED isn't effected much by the red filter. Photographers use these principles using filters to manipulate images.
Nope I got it wrong. Our conversation was about just the bulbs not about their enclosures. I text her and asked and I got a war and peace novel for a response including CFR 49 about using LED in lights designed for incandescent and how white LEDs are actually in the blue spectrum. She’s a traffic engineer in her first real job so I got a lot more information than I wanted lol