2014 ram 2500 6.4 hemi performance upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hey guys, im looking to first off get an exhaust system put on, id like to get duals out, ive heard to go true dual, but a guy at the shop said to use a kit already pre fabbed for the truck so it doesn't upset the computer and what not. Id like to just run two separate pipes from each cat into either dual in/dual out muffler or each into its own muffler (ive been looking at flowmaster super 44s) and out the back or behind the tires. what have you guys done? any issues? any suggestions?

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 3,305

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Only one guy here I think that's done it. We have a y for a mid pipe not and x or H so you'd have to have something fabbed up. That said I think Flowmaster has a dual outlet catback that bolts to the stock Y but it comes out sideways by each tire.

OP
OP
H

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I believe it Ys together after the cats, so I could put a single in/ dual out but would that still cause air restriction or would it be so minimal it wouldn't matter? You would think that dual straight out would be better but idk. Would a single in cause a lot of restriction still?

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question hemiguy93.
I'm planning long tubes and need to figure out if I CAN run true duals or if I SHOULDN'T for one reason or another.
Sorry I don't have any solid input, aside from old school terms, the quicker in and quicker out the faster you were.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The stock Y is a big restriction. Only bolt on option now is getting the LTH/Y setup from ARH that just came out. It's still a Y but I doubt you'd see gains with a custom X over it. you could always have a shop cut the stock Y up and make you true duals but that's not the best way to get power.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think on Magnaflow's website they have a kit for 6.4 Hemi's now. I think there are a few exit options maybe??? Head over and input your vehicle to see all they offer.

OP
OP
H

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Yea I seen what summit offered, they have a system from the cat back, but its just a single Pipe. I just wanted duals for the look. If duals doesn't really get you noticeably more power, I'll stick with single I imagine its much cheaper anyway. But if I go single is there anything other than the muffler I can replace to optimize efficiency? Need to mess with the stock Y at all?

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Y-pipe is a significant restriction point of the exhaust. A custom muffler shop should be able to make a better Y for your truck. I believe your OEM muffler also has a valve in it that opens based on throttle response. A free flow muffler all the time would be an upgrade.

cheap option for sound is delete the reso, and swap the muffler.

I did just read that Magnaflow provides a 4" exhaust for the 6.4L 2500, so there must be some kind of gains.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
That's what I figured id end up doing. Custom Y, new muffler, take out the resonator. Sounds cheap too. Thanks for everyone input! Now does anyone know if the vararam air intake is any good, and will it in anyway void the warranty?

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do not believe the Vararam works with the 6.4L. The Vararam works on the 5.7L cause the throttle body faces straight up.

I also do not think there is an aftermarket intake out yet for the 6.4L. I would love to be wrong here lol. As far as I know replacing the panel filter with a dry flow filter is the only upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I've seen a lot of Ppl talking about that, and yea it said the vararam is not universal with the 6.4. That sucks. Other than the those two what other upgrades can I do with this puppy to help it?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's what I figured id end up doing. Custom Y, new muffler, take out the resonator. Sounds cheap too. Thanks for everyone input! Now does anyone know if the vararam air intake is any good, and will it in anyway void the warranty?

Do not go the cheap route with the exhaust. You will end up replacing it in 2 or 3 years if you go aluminized. Get a new y pipe made and a new muffler and call it good. Taking the resonator off will gain you nothing for performance. Mufflex makes a kit that is $310 or so that is a direct bolt in, you then have to worry about the y-pipe.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have true duals on my truck. Had it cut just after the cats. The headers and pipes there are 2½" and get crushed. Yes it's crushed, and put in to a Y pipe. The our in to a 3½" single pipe all the way out. It goes thru a muffler and resonator. Now for the reason of going true duals. I just wanted to open it up. Mine is 3" all the way back with Flowmaster 40 series.
I plan on getting the new hi flow long tube headers. Just not right now. Gotta do tires, rims and maybe a programmer. There is no cold air intake out for us yet. But you can use a stock k&n air filter for the 5.7 in the box. And you can go the only fix for it right now and do the $7 pvc Cai where you cut a hole in the bottom of your air box and route pvc pipe 2½" or 3"in front of the radiator or somewhere over that way just behind the headlight. No the Vararam does not work on ours because of the way the throttle bottle faces.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^

I think Donelam is the only one who's really had it done custom. I'd say your only option for bolt on is that Flowmaster catback but it's not true duals.

Currently the best option we have for making some power gains would be getting a Diablo Tuner and a tune from HemiFever, Headers and Y pipe from American Racing Headers and then pick the catback you like.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^^

I think Donelam is the only one who's really had it done custom. I'd say your only option for bolt on is that Flowmaster catback but it's not true duals.

Currently the best option we have for making some power gains would be getting a Diablo Tuner and a tune from HemiFever, Headers and Y pipe from American Racing Headers and then pick the catback you like.

I believe magnaflow has a cat back system for out trucks too, but to me there is no reason for paying $700 for something that will gain nothing over a $300 mufflex kit.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I believe magnaflow has a cat back system for out trucks too, but to me there is no reason for paying $700 for something that will gain nothing over a $300 mufflex kit.

I meant for the dual exit look that he wanted. I have the Magnaflow kit and feel it was worth what I payed for it. It's 4" 304SS all the way back with a nice dual tip setup. Comes with a muffler and smaller blow through resonator. It's a very quality piece that sounds great.

I couldn't get anyone to make a piece like this catback for even double the price I paid in stainless. No one near me can mandrel bend 4" stainless and even if they could get it they wanted a ridiculous price like well over $1200.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I'm not sure you to go to 4" duals. You would lose a lot of torque. I'm thinking about going to 2½" stainless. There is a couple of other guys that got true duals on here also. They did got with 2½.