2500 payload and driving experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, that depends. I can see someone using air bags or other suspension mods if they have leveled their truck and don't want to squat when towing. I am in that boat right now since I put my Thuren 2" kit on. The truck still sits slightly lower in the front unloaded, but it it will look like it is nose high with anything 1,000 lbs in the back. Before my level, it would take well over 2,000 lbs to make the truck look nose high.

I plan on getting Timbrens or air bags to resolve this issue soon.
Obviously with a leveling kit you will need something to keep the back up, my comment was about stock trucks or at least trucks with the stock amount of rake.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Technically suspension mods do change ratings just how getting a lower rated tire than stock is suppose to lower your rating.

Take a 2013 2500 diesel. Besides the rear suspension, it is essentially identical to the 3500 SRW axles trucks and all. Take out the rear leafs on the 2500 and put in the same springs that the 3500 uses and technically it should change its ratings. Same goes with putting in an add a leaf or airbags to help the rear suspension handle more weight.

I think people put too much stock into that door sticker. The law requiring manufacturers to add those stickers was due to the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco back in that late 90s and there is no law in the books requiring the consumer to abide by that number. It was meant as tire inflation and loading information for the consumer and can change if you add tires with a different load rating. Sometimes that number is actually limited by the tires on the vehicle, and some times it is limited by other things such as max GVWR limits of the trucks class.

For some trucks that don't come close to their truck classes max GVWR rating, like 1/2 tons, it is probably best to stick to the load ratings because it is not max GVWR that is the limiting factor. For trucks in classes like some class 1 or most 2b trucks that are limited due to the max rating, then I would take the ratings with a grain of salt. I am not saying go out and put 4,500 lbs in a 2500 diesel, but I would say that it could easily handle at least 3,000 lbs which is well over its 2,000 lbs rating.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Obviously with a leveling kit you will need something to keep the back up, my comment was about stock trucks or at least trucks with the stock amount of rake.

I agree!

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Technically suspension mods do change ratings just how getting a lower rated tire than stock is suppose to lower your rating.

Take a 2013 2500 diesel. Besides the rear suspension, it is essentially identical to the 3500 SRW axles trucks and all. Take out the rear leafs on the 2500 and put in the same springs that the 3500 uses and technically it should change its ratings. Same goes with putting in an add a leaf or airbags to help the rear suspension handle more weight.

I think people put too much stock into that door sticker. The law requiring manufacturers to add those stickers was due to the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco back in that late 90s and there is no law in the books requiring the consumer to abide by that number. It was meant as tire inflation and loading information for the consumer and can change if you add tires with a different load rating. Sometimes that number is actually limited by the tires on the vehicle, and some times it is limited by other things such as max GVWR limits of the trucks class.

For some trucks that don't come close to their truck classes max GVWR rating, like 1/2 tons, it is probably best to stick to the load ratings because it is not max GVWR that is the limiting factor. For trucks in classes like some class 1 or most 2b trucks that are limited due to the max rating, then I would take the ratings with a grain of salt. I am not saying go out and put 4,500 lbs in a 2500 diesel, but I would say that it could easily handle at least 3,000 lbs which is well over its 2,000 lbs rating.

Well said and I agree. A lot of folks on the RV forum i'm on would have a field day with this though. "Weight Police" types.

Common sense should be applied and I have yet to hear about someone who was sued over being loaded over their door sticker number after an accident. I guess its possible.

Do you know of anyone on the Diesel forums or elsewhere that has actually done a rear coil to leaf swap? Sounds interesting.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well said and I agree. A lot of folks on the RV forum i'm on would have a field day with this though. "Weight Police" types.

Common sense should be applied and I have yet to hear about someone who was sued over being loaded over their door sticker number after an accident. I guess its possible.

Do you know of anyone on the Diesel forums or elsewhere that has actually done a rear coil to leaf swap? Sounds interesting.
Not impossible but improbable to do the swap because of all of the bracketry on the frame and a lack of mounting points for the shackles for leaf springs.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks that's what I figured. Though it should be much easier to go coils to leaf vs. leaf to coil.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
every weekend.in fact,it stays on from late march till mid october.supersprings and airbags.plus we tow the boat.it's probably over 3k

Attachments

• 20160701_090539 (1).jpg
    20160701_090539 (1).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
6.4LMegaMan

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just picked up another yard and a half of top soil. It's pretty wet. With the new 2" level she's squatting a little bit but not too bad. 2fce9d42bb8c5b0dc3fba81f04bf1d3e.jpg44574715cef7f04e427cd7eb34d79caa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I didn't take any pictures, but I got 3/4 of a yard of river rock in the bed of my 3500 yesterday. She squatted about 1.5-2". Not too bad. I haven't hauled anything heavier than firewood in the back of this truck yet.

These trucks sure do ride a lot softer when you add a little weight in the back.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill be hauling a pallet of sod this weekend so we'll see how my 2500 handles it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990