2500 vs 3500 ( 6.4 hemi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
So. I decided to go the gas route.. Not worth it for diesel. I can still write some of the gas costs off for business as that's gonna be more than half is it's use.. Anyway can't decide which would be better for me. Srw 3500 for the extra capabilities if I need it. How much worse is the fuel economy between the 2? For a work truck and a personal vehicle what trim level would be good for a landscaper? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
your question is alittle vague. What kind of work are you doing that would possibly require a 3500 ?. also its hard to comment on trim levels, because your the one who has to make the purchase. we can only give you X amount of input.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends how much payload you are going to need.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For construction/landscaping I would stick with a Tradesman. Less carpet= your like 50% easier. Also about as high payload (on eany model) as you can get do to less features.
If you NEED payload but want features, you'll have to weigh one against the other.
I WISH we had known about the Express instead of our Sport for how we use ours.
My $.02

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One difference I noted between the Tradesman and the SLT was that the doors on the Tradesman were all plastic (+armrests), where on the SLT they are the rubberized material. Seems strange, but it made a difference for me. Other than that, the other difference was the seat colors available (darker for SLT) which could hide some dirt, and also the radio for the ones on the lot. 8.4 vs the uconnect 5. Lots of Tradesman with quick order packages come with carpet, so either way if it has carpet, just get some weathertech floor liners.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For construction/landscaping I would stick with a Tradesman. Less carpet= your like 50% easier. Also about as high payload (on eany model) as you can get do to less features.
If you NEED payload but want features, you'll have to weigh one against the other.
I WISH we had known about the Express instead of our Sport for how we use ours.
My $.02

I agree, tradesman is the way to go for a work truck. You can get them with some of the options to include the backup camera for safety and hooking up trailers.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
only difference at that point between 2500 and 3500 is payload and a little towing, as I recall. That will be your determining factor. That and price.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
If you're pulling anything heavy enough to NEED a 2500 then just go with the 3500. If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten the 3500 because I would have had room to grow (trailer speaking). If you don't have anything that heavy save the money. I've never had a 3500 but I can imagine the ride is pretty stiff until you put enough weight on it. That's how my 2500 was until I changed the suspension.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
your question is alittle vague. What kind of work are you doing that would possibly require a 3500 ?. also its hard to comment on trim levels, because your the one who has to make the purchase. we can only give you X amount of input.

I'll be towing a enclosed landscape trailer. And as business grows more a skidateer on a equipent trailer..
*also forgot to mention it will be a crew dab*

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just figure out how much payload you will need. This will be determined by additional passengers, equipment on the truck, and tongue weight of the trailer. Compare that number with available payload for the model you are looking at then make the determination if you need to go bigger based off your assessment on the weights after growth.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm a landscaper as well, and the choice was obvious for me. The 3500 srw has the payload I need plus some. The increased tounge weight is also a plus. Tows the 12000 trailer mini combo nicely. I chose 3.73 gears, as its my daily driver as well, and I have no regrets. The intragrated brake controller is great. The only option my tradesman doesn't have that I wish it did, is the upfitter switches. If you plan on adding lighting for plowing ect, they would be very handy. Towing two mowers im getting 13 mpg. My area is hilly, and my route is tight, so I rarely see 45 mph before im slowing down for a corner or the next lawn. Im getting 18 on the 175 mi round trip to camp, 90% hiway, if I keep it under 70mph.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
I'm a landscaper as well, and the choice was obvious for me. The 3500 srw has the payload I need plus some. The increased tounge weight is also a plus. Tows the 12000 trailer mini combo nicely. I chose 3.73 gears, as its my daily driver as well, and I have no regrets. The intragrated brake controller is great. The only option my tradesman doesn't have that I wish it did, is the upfitter switches. If you plan on adding lighting for plowing ect, they would be very handy. Towing two mowers im getting 13 mpg. My area is hilly, and my route is tight, so I rarely see 45 mph before im slowing down for a corner or the next lawn. Im getting 18 on the 175 mi round trip to camp, 90% hiway, if I keep it under 70mph.

Wow that's getting pretty good mpg for towing. Is yours a crew cab or just a regular cab? Andy pics of your setup?

Canyonero02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A crew cab 2500 6.4 will give you about 3000 lbs of payload minus passengers and gear. A similar 3500 will give you about 4300 lbs. If you plan on carrying any weight in the bed while towing your trailer then get the 3500. If you're just concerned about going over the max tow capability of a 2500 then you should be considering a diesel.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
A crew cab 2500 6.4 will give you about 3000 lbs of payload minus passengers and gear. A similar 3500 will give you about 4300 lbs. If you plan on carrying any weight in the bed while towing your trailer then get the 3500. If you're just concerned about going over the max tow capability of a 2500 then you should be considering a diesel.

I don't think I need the diesel.. I think it's just more if a will a 3500 better suit me? I don't want to spend all the money upfront for a diesel. For a few better mpg? I don't think it's worth it. Someone convince me if it is

Canyonero02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you're towing 10k or more all the time that's what I would get. If it's just occasionally then the gasser will do fine

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wow that's getting pretty good mpg for towing. Is yours a crew cab or just a regular cab? Andy pics of your setup?

Its a CC. I'll get a pic one of these days of my setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
Its a CC. I'll get a pic one of these days of my setup.

Cool. I love seething setups there's a ton over on lawnsite. Idk if your a member there or not

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I not 100% certain, but i think the 2014 2500 is the only one that comes with the new rear coil suspension, I think the 3500 still has the leaf springs. This might be a big factor as far as ride comfort goes. I really like this new set up in my 2500. I don't think you would max out the payload or towing in the 2500, but again, not sure what all you might be doing in it :roflsquared:

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I not 100% certain, but i think the 2014 2500 is the only one that comes with the new rear coil suspension, I think the 3500 still has the leaf springs. This might be a big factor as far as ride comfort goes. I really like this new set up in my 2500. I don't think you would max out the payload or towing in the 2500, but again, not sure what all you might be doing in it :roflsquared:

Yes the 2500 has the rear coils and the 3500's have leaf.

To the OP, for what you are towing get the diesel. here are a few pluses and minuses going with the diesel.

minus;
1) Initial cost is more
2) oil changes is more expensive… but you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes on 13+ cummins powered trucks so its actually equal to the gas.
3) Don't like to idle a lot.
4) they don't like snow plows due to the added weight of the engine, not saying you can't put one on it but you are limited to size and weight of the plow

Pluses;
1) you get your money back on resale.
2) will last longer
3) better overall milage.
4) you can tow more and you don't have to worry about over working it as you will kill the truck before the engine.
5) manual transmission optional

These are just a few of the + and - of owning a cummins. I'm sure there are more but thats all i could think of at the moment.

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Oh and there is a very big difference between the 3500 and the 2500 in ride. the 2500 rides more like a 1500 and the 3500 rides more like a truck, yes it will bounce you over rough roads empty but they can tow just about anything. They are amazing on what they can do.