6.4 Hemi 2500 Towing Advice, Please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Ok, after doing more research I found that Carli offers a heavier rate CS-DMRC-14-R2 rear spring that will ride better than stock but sit about 1in higher than my current Thuren springs giving me a slight forward rake. That should give me a lot less squat and combined with a Weigh Safe heavy weight distribution hitch (currently under re-design and avail in a couple months) and added support from my 5k air bags if needed. I`m currently checking to see if I can still use my same Thuren/King rear shocks with the Carli springs for now.

I think I`m making good progress on selecting the needed upgrades to tow my upcoming new/heavier toy-hauler...

BTW, Thuren also makes a taller/higher rated rear spring but they suggested going with the stiffer Carli spring for my intended use...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One thought, with the spare tire carrier mounted in the hitch receiver (which looks cool, by the way), the specs I found max the trailer towing capacity at 10k and maximum tongue weight of 1k pounds. I assume you are going to remove that when towing the bigger trailer. That will help you a bit by losing 150 pounds sitting as far astern as possible from the truck axle. Could make an improvement as that would translate to about 1k of extra towing capacity.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
One thought, with the spare tire carrier mounted in the hitch receiver (which looks cool, by the way), the specs I found max the trailer towing capacity at 10k and maximum tongue weight of 1k pounds. I assume you are going to remove that when towing the bigger trailer. That will help you a bit by losing 150 pounds sitting as far astern as possible from the truck axle. Could make an improvement as that would translate to about 1k of extra towing capacity.
You are correct, I will be removing the receiver mounted spare tire carrier/hitch and using the oem 2.5in receiver with the new/heavier trailer...
I`ll probably carry the truck spare in the trailer when traveling and in the truck bed the rest of the time!

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
UPDATE: to anyone making similar changes. Carli CS-DMRC-14-R2 2in progressive rate rear springs are in route from CJC, replacing the too soft Thuren 1in.
I aired up my air bags to full and measured the shock up-travel, looks like I have enough travel with the Thuren/King rear shocks that came with the Thuren system to work with the 1in. taller Carli springs. It also appears that the Thuren track bar, extended swaybar hardware, etc, will work as well...
If I didn`t have air bags I probably would have to order the Carli extended bump-stops, Carli has a great section on their website comparing the spring rate differences between their R1 and R2 springs, very informative..
I`ll up-date further on compatibility with the Thuren components once the new Carli springs are installed.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Greetings All, it`s been awhile...
Looking for 1st hand feedback on towing an aprox 10.5k bumper-pull toy-hauler with a 6.4l hemi 2500.
I`m about to upgrade from a 7,800k (loaded) travel trailer (my truck, 2016/2500, 6.4L, 5k air bags, weight dist hitch) tows this no problem what so ever) to an 10.5k full load/7800k dry) toy-hauler...
Looking for first hand experiences concerning any issues towing this weight with the 6.4Hemi/2500.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and let`s please keep on topic avoiding the usual diesel vs gas debate..

I had a ‘14 2500 crew 6.4 4.10 gears. I pulled a 33.5 ft cabin cruiser with it. I was close to 16k lbs when it was loaded up. Truck didn’t complain once.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 6

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: to anyone making similar changes. Carli CS-DMRC-14-R2 2in progressive rate rear springs are in route from CJC, replacing the too soft Thuren 1in.
I aired up my air bags to full and measured the shock up-travel, looks like I have enough travel with the Thuren/King rear shocks that came with the Thuren system to work with the 1in. taller Carli springs. It also appears that the Thuren track bar, extended swaybar hardware, etc, will work as well...
If I didn`t have air bags I probably would have to order the Carli extended bump-stops, Carli has a great section on their website comparing the spring rate differences between their R1 and R2 springs, very informative..
I`ll up-date further on compatibility with the Thuren components once the new Carli springs are installed.
So the airbags themselves aren't enough support? I was thinking of going from the stock to the softer Thuren rear springs and just using my airbags to support any loads. With the stock springs I only run 45 psi in the bags, which can go up to 100 psi, to even it out with 1,700 lb. tongue load. For perspective 1,700 lb. tongue load causes a lot of squat and it would hit the factory bumpstops going down the road prior to installing the bags. That was just the initial trial run with that particular trailer going about 2 miles at maybe 45 mph...can't imagine what would have happened running 70 mph and hitting a big pothole or expansion joint! Was just thinking that even with a softer rear spring I still had a lot of available room in the airbags to make up for it.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
So the airbags themselves aren't enough support? I was thinking of going from the stock to the softer Thuren rear springs and just using my airbags to support any loads. With the stock springs I only run 45 psi in the bags, which can go up to 100 psi, to even it out with 1,700 lb. tongue load. For perspective 1,700 lb. tongue load causes a lot of squat and it would hit the factory bumpstops going down the road prior to installing the bags. That was just the initial trial run with that particular trailer going about 2 miles at maybe 45 mph...can't imagine what would have happened running 70 mph and hitting a big pothole or expansion joint! Was just thinking that even with a softer rear spring I still had a lot of available room in the airbags to make up for it.
By my personal experience, for towing, I would NOT recommend the soft 1in Thuren rear spring, especially with 1700lbs of tongue weight! Despite the 1in higher ride the spring rate is more like a 1/2 ton and squat when towing is excessive. The airbags and weight dist hitch help level the tongue of the trailer but there is a tendency for a lot of porpoising!

Keep in mind, if you run a higher spring in the rear you will need to run extended sway-bar hardware, track-bar and longer shocks, etc. I`m lucky that I already have these items in place so the Thuren stuff should be ok with the 2in Carli springs, based on my measurements..
There is another brand/mfg of progressive rate springs (can`t remember the name at the moment) that may work for you, try searching HD or higher lift rear springs for a Ram 2500. I`ll post if I remember the name...

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By my personal experience, for towing, I would NOT recommend the soft 1in Thuren rear spring, especially with 1700lbs of tongue weight! Despite the 1in higher ride the spring rate is more like a 1/2 ton and squat when towing is excessive. The airbags and weight dist hitch help level the tongue of the trailer but there is a tendency for a lot of porpoising!

Keep in mind, if you run a higher spring in the rear you will need to run extended sway-bar hardware, track-bar and longer shocks, etc. I`m lucky that I already have these items in place so the Thuren stuff should be ok with the 2in Carli springs, based on my measurements..
There is another brand/mfg of progressive rate springs (can`t remember the name at the moment) that may work for you, try searching HD or higher lift rear springs for a Ram 2500. I`ll post if I remember the name...
Thanks for the feedback. I was just assuming that adjusting the airbags would compensate for any issues with softer springs, but from your experience it sounds like they won't. When pulling a smaller trailer (1,000 lb. tongue weight) on the stock springs I didn't have excessive squat, but it did feel kinda' spongy and would porpoise. Adding airbags and running them at 35 psi took care of that.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Thanks for the feedback. I was just assuming that adjusting the airbags would compensate for any issues with softer springs, but from your experience it sounds like they won't. When pulling a smaller trailer (1,000 lb. tongue weight) on the stock springs I didn't have excessive squat, but it did feel kinda' spongy and would porpoise. Adding airbags and running them at 35 psi took care of that.
The airbags will compensate to a degree but with soft springs you`d need to run 65+ lbs in the air bags which would most likely result in a lot of porpoising which gets annoying after awhile..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat