Cheap exhaust mod 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So first of all I like to tinker and am a cheap ass. Yesterday I cut off my resonator and noticed some improvement in exhaust note but not enough. Today I whacked the crap out of the stupid flapper valve in the muffler so that it's constantly open. At idle there is now a decent deep sound, not much, but I think it's a great free mod to make the truck sound like it should. It's really just deeper and more pronounced through all rpms.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Whack it out as in get a rod/hammer and bang the flapper out. I haven't seen the factory muffler. I'm assuming you can access/see through the inlet outlet?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes I did the flapper "mod" too. I did it with a long pry bar and 3lb sledge. Bent the flapper pins so that it stays in the open position.

Dmopar74, is there any drone with the resonator removed? I imagine the MDS sounds like trash, but I can deal with that not the drone.

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

Last edited:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the point of the flapper and what actuates it? My Buell ULY had a similar setup, that improved low end torque. So does deleting it change the torque band of the motor any, like maybe push it a tad higher?

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
What is the point of the flapper and what actuates it? My Buell ULY had a similar setup, that improved low end torque. So does deleting it change the torque band of the motor any, like maybe push it a tad higher?

The increased exhaust gas passing through the muffler opens it....nothing fancy about it.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes I did the flapper "mod" too. I did it with a long pry bar and 3lb sledge. Bent the flapper pins so that it stays in the open position.

Dmopar74, is there any drone with the resonator removed? I imagine the MDS sounds like trash, but I can deal with that not the drone.

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

I hear no drone, but haven't towed with it modded yet. It is slightly quieter than the 1500 duel exhaust but fairly deeper if that gives you an idea. I had a 74 duster with duel flowmaster 40s, that car had some serious drone.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
How do you access the flapper valve to remove it, inlet or outlet? And is it visible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk