2020 RAM 2500 6.4L Exhaust Mods (need ideas)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi all,

Just picked up my new truck and I want to mod the exhaust. I'm not looking for "annoy mode" (it is after all my daily driver), but the stock is as quiet as a luxury sedan.

Anyone got ideas on some mods that unlock a bit of that beautiful 6.4L sound without being obnoxious?

I was wondering if simply deleting the resonator might be a place to start? OR, has anyone deleted the muffler and left the resonator?

Thanks!

OP
OP
R

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I found some good info in this thread "Cat-Backs : Magnaflow vs Borla" but still open to suggestions.

My take-away from the above thread is something I hadn't considered - and that was to simply replace the stock muffler with aftermarket.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's all I did with my 2014 2500 with the 6.4L. Pulled off the stock muffler, put in a Magnaflow, removed the resonator and put in some pipe to make up the length of the reso.

It sounded good.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

Just picked up my new truck and I want to mod the exhaust. I'm not looking for "annoy mode" (it is after all my daily driver), but the stock is as quiet as a luxury sedan.

Anyone got ideas on some mods that unlock a bit of that beautiful 6.4L sound without being obnoxious?

I was wondering if simply deleting the resonator might be a place to start? OR, has anyone deleted the muffler and left the resonator?

Thanks!

I’m running a series 50, the quiet 50 on the list. And it’s ****!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I ended up ordering this as I wanted something that didn't require welding, and if I really don't like it, I can easily replace the stock exhaust.

$277 shipped to my door (they are running a fall sale).

https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_19493

Thanks for the suggestions. When I'm done, I'll post a video.

OP
OP
R

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So the new system is on the truck and its EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Mildly aggressive - the truck has a much deeper, but still "mellow" tone.

NOTE: I got under the truck to do this myself (it's advertised as a "bolt-on" replacement) and took one look and said, "nope". It took my local shop (one I highly trust and have used for 15+ years) 90 minutes to do the swap. Keep in mind they have all the tools, experience, etc. The flanges on the exhaust didn't quite fit into the stock pipes (on both ends) and simply getting the old system off the rubber hangers and the new one on, was a two person job (with the truck on a lift).

Off to go just drive around for a while and enjoy the new sound. :)

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Just throw a Solo performance muffler delete on there. If you dont want it crazy loud. THey also have an option which will include a smaller muffler to tone it down a bit.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I ended up ordering this as I wanted something that didn't require welding, and if I really don't like it, I can easily replace the stock exhaust.

$277 shipped to my door (they are running a fall sale).

https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_19493

Thanks for the suggestions. When I'm done, I'll post a video.
Are you getting any drone? I pull a travel trailer, and drone would ruin the experience.

OP
OP
R

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Are you getting any drone? I pull a travel trailer, and drone would ruin the experience.

I haven't towed with it yet and only done about 10 miles of driving so far - but I have not noticed any drone. Whats unexpected (and I want to test more) is that there's less "grrrrrrr" noise when "eco" mode kicks in.

Note that this is a muffler replacement, and I did NOT delete the resonator - so I still have this new (MUCH smaller) muffler AND the resonator behind it.

I'll try to record some audio next time I'm out.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I haven't towed with it yet and only done about 10 miles of driving so far - but I have not noticed any drone. Whats unexpected (and I want to test more) is that there's less "grrrrrrr" noise when "eco" mode kicks in.

Note that this is a muffler replacement, and I did NOT delete the resonator - so I still have this new (MUCH smaller) muffler AND the resonator behind it.

I'll try to record some audio next time I'm out.
Thanks, looking forward to your updates.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Magnaflow 19493

8E24B084-7A26-492E-A4A3-10EFF4CE0581.jpeg

This is the rear clamp that came with the kit. The stock clamp will need to be cut off and you will need to cut 3 or 4 lengthwise relief cuts on the resonator pipe for it to clamp properly.
84BC2B9B-EAB0-418A-BCB2-F0704C08C398.jpeg

Front clamps up just fine. Rust is just superficial but that clamp probably won’t live another 2 years.
D5EBA754-D5D0-4EC2-A7F2-0E6C4C50A517.jpeg

Install tips: Use wd40 on the rubber hangers to get them off. The stock muffler is HEAVY! Use neverseeze or equivalent on the threads of the clamps in the kit and re-tighten them down after a week just after driving when they will be stupid hot. Grind the resonator pipe clamp and relief cuts in place once you have the stock muffler out... the resonator pipe is not fun to remove.

I’ve had this in for a year now. It’s been great. Loud when you want it, and not stupid obnoxious. Towing is not hard on the ears and the GF doesn’t complain about the volume. Drone only occurs when it’s below -20C outside at 16-1700rpm with a high fuel demand (think lugging an engine). From the looks of it, it probably has a 4 year lifespan before something on it will rust out, less on that front clamp.

8/10 would buy again.

348C7C88-81B7-43D9-A18C-12E5BFF5185F.jpeg

Last edited:

Hanner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Flowmaster Super 40! Sounds great. Won’t wake the neighborhood unless you want it to

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the solo mr400 on my 2018 and it did sound great but honestly it was a little too loud. I really noticed how obnoxious it was when I got my new truck with stock exhaust. Now I’m just very interested in getting rid of the resonator.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Which parts did you use for all this?

Borla xr1 racing muffler- 2 of them
Magnaflow x pipe
And bottle resonators- 2 of them

stayed with the stock exhaust size pipe. If you go with a Bigger diameter pipe you will lose power. These engines like back pressure.

getting rid of the resonator is a bad idea, they are put on there for a reason and it’s to get rid of drone that’s why I went with two resonators near my tips and I have no drone.