Dumb Question 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I have a question as to whether or not I hurt my truck while doing what I did. I was parked in a parking lot with the parking brake on. I heard noises while shifting through the normal Grears PRND (pretty sure just the solenoid doing what it does). But I just started playing around. With the truck still motionless I put the truck in neutral, then I put the 4wd into neutral as well with no issues. I then Put the truck into drive, then put the 4wd back into 2wd and it made a loud bang but apparently shifted successfully. I put the 4wd back into neutral with no issues and then the truck back into neutral and then the 4wd back into 2wd with no bang. Then I put the truck in park and turned it off. My question is whether or not that bang hurt the truck in any way and can someone explain what I did wrong? 2017 ram 2500 4x4 by the way.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Probably didn't help it any but it may be alright. What you did was with the transfer case in neutral putting the transmission in gear lets the transmission and input shaft to transfer case free wheel. By then putting the transfer case into 2wd its slamming moving gears into non moving gears. Think of it like slamming a standard transmission into gear without pushing the clutch.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Probably didn't help it any but it may be alright. What you did was with the transfer case in neutral putting the transmission in gear lets the transmission and input shaft to transfer case free wheel. By then putting the transfer case into 2wd its slamming moving gears into non moving gears. Think of it like slamming a standard transmission into gear without pushing the clutch.
****. I'm an idiot... if I did break anything where would I see or feel it most? Would it be when I'm driving normal, shifting around from reverse to drive to park, or only when I try to engage the 4wd? By the way since then I've shifted around PRND and found nothing out of the ordinary. Also to be clear the only appropriate 4wd action to be performed while the truck is in drive is shifting between 2wd and 4hi? Neutral and 4lo must be done while the truck is in neutral as well and shifting back from these to 2wd?

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why put the transfer case in neutral? I thought that was only for being towed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Why put the transfer case in neutral? I thought that was only for being towed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I have one of the on the floor 4wd gear shifts not button activated. To get to 4lo you have to go past neutral. But yes that's what it is for and yes it was stupid.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have one of the on the floor 4wd gear shifts not button activated. To get to 4lo you have to go past neutral. But yes that's what it is for and yes it was stupid.
We all can make mistakes! So do not beat yourself up too bad :) I am 64 and new to a 4x4 truck and RAM'S. So I am sure i will also make a mistake in the future !

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Haha, I replied to your other 4x4 question thread. Meant to post in this one.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

the key is not to stop with the transfer case in neutral. you move the shifter from 2hi to 4lo in one motion without stopping.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'll have to play with the 4wd more. I just took for granted it shifted like my jeep did and put it the trans in neutral then put the Tcase in 4lo, then put the trans back in drive. I'll see if it goes straight from 2hi to 4lo. That would be MUCH easier than the way I described above. BUT, that's how the jeep shifted.

I've only had to use 4lo once in the year I've had my 2500 to pull out a stuck farm tractor. Not a huge tractor, but one that got burried up to it's rear axle in soft sandy soil. The 6.4 pulled it out with ease. I was surprised because I was afraid I would burry my tires too.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll have to play with the 4wd more. I just took for granted it shifted like my jeep did and put it the trans in neutral then put the Tcase in 4lo, then put the trans back in drive. I'll see if it goes straight from 2hi to 4lo. That would be MUCH easier than the way I described above. BUT, that's how the jeep shifted.

its the same exact procedure for the ram. Transmission in neutral and coasting under 5mph. moving from 2hi to 4lo is supposed to be one quick move, without stopping in neutral. if you stop in neutral, shut the engine off to engage the t-case.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
yeah, with the jeep as long as it was creeping forward it wouldn't bind up. Thats what I did on the truck. 99% of my 4wd time is spent in 4hi .

Those that live in S. Texas and go to PINS know the best spots are past the 5 mile marker where the sand can get really soft and loose and the crowds really thin out. You can have a mile or more of beach all to yourself.